Proper introduction, and some NOOBISH questions!

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey there people, I have been here for a few months now, and I have one Neo Candy cab, and a New Astro City on the way. I live in southern California, and aside from collecting video games since I bought my first Playstation, I also collect records, particularly punk and hardcore, but explore other genres as well.

Well I had a few noob questions, so I figured this would be an appropriate, and hopefully friendly, thread for them!

First, what mobo's are JAMMA standard, or are able to be played on a JAMMA cabinet with an I/O board? The reason I ask is because I have a New Astro City on the way, and want to get the most out of it. I am pretty partial to Fighting games, but I would love to know about more mobo's and games.

Second, what fighters would you guys recommend? Pretty much for Neo-Geo or a JAMMA bases sytem. I know the more well known fighters such as, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Melty Blood, Last Blade, etc. Looking for some new stuff that (hopefully) won't break my bank.

Well thanks, and I will post pics of my cabs when I have them set up properly.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
All of the following system mother boards are JAMMA/JAMMA+: CPS2, F-3, G-Net, Mega System 32, PGM, Super Nova, Atomiswave, STV... Naomi and most of the other, newer mother boards need an I/O to run them on a JAMMA cab.

If you're into fighters and already have a Neo I'd recommend picking up a CPS2. Lots of good fighters on there plus a number of other beat'em ups and shooters. There really isn't any crap on the system. If you're looking for more information about the games on this system or any of the other above mentioned ones I recommend checking out www.system16.com.

Sega STV also has a couple of cool 2D fighters but they're somewhat hard to come by, Astra Superstars and Groove On Fight. Groove On Fight is part of the Gogetsuji(Power Instinct) series, the first three are stand alone JAMMA boards and the last one is Matrimelee on the MVS. I've got Gogetsuji(I've seen this spelled a few different ways BTW) Legends and like it quite a bit. It's a series known for wacky characters and music, which is a nice change of pace from the norm.

Taito F-3 is another one of my favorite systems. It was released in the mid 90's and has graphics similar to that of the CPS2. Not a lot of fighting games to be had though, mostly puzzle games and shooters with a few action titles. Again, many top notch games without any real dogs on the system.

About breaking the bank. This is an expensive hobby, there's no two ways around it. With that said there are plenty of good games out there that can be had for under $100, but there are also a lot that are either rare or sought after that will cost you. Doesn't sound like you're into shooters that much and it's probably for the best. Cave games are great but anything from the last few years costs an arm and a leg.

This is a great hobby that I personally find very fun and rewarding. Hope I was able to provide some useful information.

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the response, and for the information! I do appreciate it. I recently picked up a few CPS2 fighters from a member on this board, and I have been playing them a lot ever since I got my New Astro City, I will make sure to post pics soon.

I am interested in Shmups, and would eventually like to get a cabinet, rotate the monitor vertically, and have it dedicated for Shmups. That's going to take a while to do though, right now I am focusing on fixing up my New Astro City and putting some new games in there.

Thanks again!

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
I visit the Fingerprint Record shop in LB occasionally for LPs and 45s. Welcome to the drama, and post some pics of your cabs :vik:

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I visit the Fingerprint Record shop in LB occasionally for LPs and 45s. Welcome to the drama, and post some pics of your cabs :vik:

Fingerprints is pretty close to me, I live in Cerritos, I just put my location as LBC because no one outside of so cal even knows about Cerritos ha ha. I mainly do my shopping at Vinyl Solution in Huntington Beach, and Radiation Records in Anaheim.

Pics will come this week, I just gotta spruce up my new cab and put my new control panel on!

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
I've picked up a lot of good records from Vinyl Solution, they're literally down the street from me. Crammed little shop but they have a lot more punk going on than Fingerprints.

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Nice! I actually work at Vinyl Solution on Saturday mornings and Friday nights, I also work next door at the head shop Friday, Sunday, and Monday, that's actually where I am now :)

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
Nice looking pair. You just got the Astro? Looks like it's in good shape.

How long have you been working at Vinyl Solution? I guess this means I get a discount when you're working, right? Just kidding :D .

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Nice looking pair. You just got the Astro? Looks like it's in good shape.

How long have you been working at Vinyl Solution? I guess this means I get a discount when you're working, right? Just kidding :D .

It will be 2 years in April, but I've been shopping there for 6-7 years. And of course! 10% all around!