Top Hunter - What's going on here?

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I got this cart with my cab. It looks like there's some modifications going on in there.

Just wondering if it's a repair job, or a boot.

2rneljk.jpg

qyfvxz.jpg

2ngac9i.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Its not a boot. probably a repair I guess. might even be factory. Put it back together and play it :make_fac:

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Great game, but I was kinda hoping it was a boot, so I could trade it off to be scavenged by chip hounds :glee:

foxfire

New Challenger
my top hunter has the exact same blue capacitor thing.

probably factory.

JoshuaMiller

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Mine has it too, one of the legs was broken on the cap when I received the cart, and that caused major glitches in the background GFX. Soldering on a new cap fixed it, now the cart plays perfectly.

I had a thread (maybe in boot-no boot?) inquiring about authenticity, the consensus was that it was an original cart.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Great game, but I was kinda hoping it was a boot, so I could trade it off to be scavenged by chip hounds :glee:

Why were you hoping it was a boot? It's such an underrated game...

Had spent a long time only playing it single player until finally jamming on it with another NG buddy a month or two ago and we had such a blast.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Oh yeah, This was one of the games that people always wanted to play when they came over (until I got the slugs and some other games). People love side-scrollers, and this game has some pretty cool special moves, and that unique fore and background system.

I just meant that if one of my carts was a boot, and it was this one, it wouldn't kill me to trade it off so someone could get at the chips.

I agree. Totally fun game :D

Edit:

Can you imagine them adding that by hand at the factory. What added time and expense!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So one cap makes you suspect the whole game's a boot?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Killing a little time today and looking through this boot thread since I haven't been in here in quite some time...

Just so you guys know, that is known as a bypass capacitor. This helps reduce ripple in a circuit. This is very common in digital electronics, and are all over the boards. It's just obvious here 'cause it's attached in a manner that looks suspect.

Jeff

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member

Bypass capacitors are most effective when placed as close as possible to the VCC and GND pins of the device. In this case the SMT cap PC4 is likely to be too far away and doesn't help to dampen the ripple voltage to the nearby IC so they (SNK) had to add another cap directly to the VCC/GND legs of the IC. It's a case of poor PCB layout.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is the ripple caused by the data being accessed in burts?