Naomi 2, bad fan = sound errors?

SSS

neo retired
I just picked up a Naomi 2 mobo with VF4 Evo. Everything works seems kosher, expect the bearing in the main cooling fan sounds like shit, and it's CFM output doesn't even match the one on my Naomi 1 mobo (sounds like a jet with enough wind power to propel a small watercraft). The fan itself has plenty of resistance when trying push manually. The sound was working fine, until I noticed the fan's output dropped off considerably. Sound started crackling and I believe I lost a channel. Is it possible the fan is pulling too many amps on the 12 V circuit to interfere with the sound processor? Makes sense to me, as the sound was working perfectly before.

Regardless, I still need a new fan. It's a Nidec Beta V Model H34587-55 12v .17 amps. Can I grab one that'll work from microcenter, or is this a special order (like the cps2 fans)

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer
I believe its the same replacement fan as the CPS2 fans. The only thing I havent been able to confirm was the airflow, not sure if the newer ones output the same as the originals.

SSS

neo retired
Well I've got 3 cps2 A boards (one has a bad fan as well :annoyed:) I guess I could borrow one until I get a replacement. I believe they are 60mmx60mmx15mm

I went to microcenter they had 50x50x15, 60x60x20, and 70x70x10 :scratch:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you hear the sound change from the audio output AND from the fan at the same time then you probably have a problem with the +12v power. The fan isn't going to pull enough current to draw down the power supply.

What kind of cabinet do you have this in? If you are using a stereo wired MVS cabinet then you may be shorting out the audio output chip. This CAN cause a huge power drain on the +12v line, slowing the fan down.

If you had it plugged into an MVS wired cab then the audio out IC will get more than finger blistering hot.

RJ

SSS

neo retired
If you hear the sound change from the audio output AND from the fan at the same time then you probably have a problem with the +12v power. The fan isn't going to pull enough current to draw down the power supply.

What kind of cabinet do you have this in? If you are using a stereo wired MVS cabinet then you may be shorting out the audio output chip. This CAN cause a huge power drain on the +12v line, slowing the fan down.

If you had it plugged into an MVS wired cab then the audio out IC will get more than finger blistering hot.

RJ

I'm running it now in a capcom impress (Q sound amp), however before it was in a Capcom big blue wood cabinet running off a Naomi PSU, and it was doing the same thing. I just swapped the fan over from one of my CPS2 mobos, it's working great. The unit's running cooler and I've got more airflow. I'm letting it cycle through attract mode now, but so far audio is 100%. :)