What do you use to apply heat shrink to your wiring?

Freelancer

Banned
Basic question, but I'm curious as to what my fellow SuperGun builders use to melt their heat shrink tubing? Myself, I use a standard heat gun and it works pretty well...melts the heat shrink tubing uniformly and snugly around my soldered/spliced wires.

What do you use? I'm always interested in hearing what other resourceful methods others use, and who knows, I may learn something! :)

SNKFreak

Banned
I've used a lighter, a soldering iron, and a hairdryer. I never had the privilage of trying a heat gun but the lighters worked perfectly.

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: SNKFreak ]</small>

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I just use the fatter part of my soldering iron. It's easy to burn insulation on the surrounding wires, though. Maybe I should look into something else...

<small>[ July 18, 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: RiotoftheBlood ]</small>

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I've heard a lot about this "heat shrink", but I still don't know what it is exactly. Can anybody give more info or pics, link?

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I use a cigarette lighter, too. I've tried using things like heat guns, small butane torches, etc, but so far I've found that lighters are still the quickest & handiest way to do it (as long as you're careful, of course).

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Amano Jacu:
I've heard a lot about this "heat shrink", but I still don't know what it is exactly. Can anybody give more info or pics, link?
Heat shrink tubing is tubing that shrinks when it's heated. Makes sense, no?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
It's used to insulate soldering terminals to prevent shortings, esp. when the terminals are very close to each other, like in Jamma connectors:

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCBs/files/pgm.jpg" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCBs/files/pgm.jpg</a>

I used to use lighters but now I prefer a hair dryer, it works way better and you never burns anything.

<small>[ July 18, 2003, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
OK, I think I understand it, it's just that the word "shrink" was not in my limited English vocabulary, now it is. I'm still wondering how to ask for that in Catalan or Spanish in my local electronics shop. So when you apply heat it "shrinks" coating the soldering? Pretty clever.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I use the shaft of a soldering iron usually, but on a special project a heat gun or hair drier is better as it leaves no marks on the heat shrink surface. Just an asthetic thing.
Any heat source will do the job.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu:
I'm still wondering how to ask for that in Catalan or Spanish in my local electronics shop.
Tubo termocontraible.

Fuzzzy

New Challenger
hairdryer hands down. My wife doesnt exactly like me dragging hers off all the time but its worth it ^_^.