Mai Shiranui In KOF: Sky Stage

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1228976_1124.html

And she has a new voice actress as well.

I'm fairly certain that news of this is going to cause some huge rifts amongst the Mai fanboy community, with comments ranging from "YES! She's in KOF Sky Stage!" to "Why the hell is she still not in KOF XII?!", to "SNK Playmore seems to greatly misinterpret fanboy wishes.".

You be the judge.

Let the discussion (and drama) commence!

Clessy

Banned
Does anyone in the world give a shit about this game? This game would have a much better chance of having credablity if it wasnt whoring out the kof name to try to move more copies. Thats the irony of it.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZwJ8DITzg&NR=1
I like this rough-cut beta better than that smooth stuff they're pushing now.

Seriously? I can understand new properties. But why KOF?
Where does the franchise expansion end?
K.O.F. Bran Flakes? Commemorative collector's plates? Monopoly? Hanafuda decks? Reebock sneakers? Backpacks? Trapper-keepers?

So, yeah! Yeah! The more of this stuff the better! A K.O.F. trapper-keeper would be awesome! Seriously!

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZwJ8DITzg&NR=1
I like this rough-cut beta better than that smooth stuff they're pushing now.

Seriously? I can understand new properties. But why KOF?
Where does the franchise expansion end?
K.O.F. Bran Flakes? Commemorative collector's plates? Monopoly? Hanafuda decks? Reebock sneakers? Backpacks? Trapper-keepers?

So, yeah! Yeah! The more of this stuff the better! A K.O.F. trapper-keeper would be awesome! Seriously!

Hmmm , how about Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo?

It s a great game . Its a puzzle game . It has SF characters.

See a pattern here?

Can't understand WHY kof skystage should be bad just because it s a shooter with kof characters.

It could even turn interesting if they take their time and make it playable.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Hmmm , how about Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo?

It s a great game . Its a puzzle game . It has SF characters.

See a pattern here?

Can't understand WHY kof skystage should be bad just because it s a shooter with kof characters.

It could even turn interesting if they take their time and make it playable.

Yeah. But, at the same time, Capcom supported how many franchises?
Mega Man? Resident Evil? The Vs. series?
Puzzle Fighter was neat because I didn't feel like I was hit over the head all the time with an amalgam of things.

KOF is fine in installments. But, when it started, it was exciting because it was fresh. With all but a handful of characters, you knew where these other characters were coming from.

It's kind of like seeing a Marvel/DC crossover. They rarely happen. So, when they do happen, it's normally a neat experience.

With KOF, I don't feel that way. It's been Pachinco, Days of Memories, Playing cards. The series that characters were plucked from, AOF, Fatal Fury, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors... They haven't been touched in a decade.

Skystage looked like a grand opportunity to have a new installment of Psycho Soldier. It could have had Athena, Kensou, cameos with Moe and Bao, and narration by Chin and it been well received. Heck, abilities introduced in a game like that could bleed over to KOF and folks not bat an eye.

But, it's KOF again.
Why do they all fly?
What's the pretense?
Who are they fighting and what are their motivations?
It feels as hokey as, say, having the entirety of the Superfriends sit around a giant, round table and all get along splendidly. Only, without campy writing to keep my entertained.

It's like Pancake Bunny: The Game.

I haven't called it bad. But, at the same time... wow. One-note symphony.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Comparing Capcom's business practices to SNK-P's business practices is a bad idea.

One is a company that knows what the fuck it's doing.

SNK-P is the other.

That said, I'll give Sky Stage its chance. It still doesn't absolve SNK-P of other more recent fuckups, but if it can be good in its own right, I will buy it and give it support.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
And Chocolatey "Cocoa Desu Ka"s.

bogardee%20chef%20KoF%20terry.gif

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yeah. But, at the same time, Capcom supported how many franchises?
Mega Man? Resident Evil? The Vs. series?
Puzzle Fighter was neat because I didn't feel like I was hit over the head all the time with an amalgam of things.

KOF is fine in installments. But, when it started, it was exciting because it was fresh. With all but a handful of characters, you knew where these other characters were coming from.

It's kind of like seeing a Marvel/DC crossover. They rarely happen. So, when they do happen, it's normally a neat experience.

With KOF, I don't feel that way. It's been Pachinco, Days of Memories, Playing cards. The series that characters were plucked from, AOF, Fatal Fury, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors... They haven't been touched in a decade.

Skystage looked like a grand opportunity to have a new installment of Psycho Soldier. It could have had Athena, Kensou, cameos with Moe and Bao, and narration by Chin and it been well received. Heck, abilities introduced in a game like that could bleed over to KOF and folks not bat an eye.

But, it's KOF again.
Why do they all fly?
What's the pretense?
Who are they fighting and what are their motivations?

It feels as hokey as, say, having the entirety of the Superfriends sit around a giant, round table and all get along splendidly. Only, without campy writing to keep my entertained.

It's like Pancake Bunny: The Game.

I haven't called it bad. But, at the same time... wow. One-note symphony.

So let me get this straight

You know they re making KOF XIII and you are angry they make a vertical shooter featuring KOF characters?

You surely don't expect SNK to come back in 2009 with franchises like AOF or Ikari Warriors ( the latter especially since they have a very succesful Metal Slug series ) , right? ( snk doesn't have the amount of cash Capcom has )

What does it mean if capcom had other franchises going ?

We re talking about a SF superdeformed puzzle where you line up gems and detonate them .

What does it mean if they released BH the same year? Did it make SSP2T better?

i don't uderstand really, it s a damn spin off . Let it go guys .

If it will suck , we ll bash it.

If it will turn out playable , we ll praise it.

I think it s not very smart to say, oh.. it s so weird , flying KOF characters , where is the series going / random rant

when a NEW classic fighting game ( XIII) has already been announced and is being worked on at the moment .

Let s see how this turns out before bashing the hell out of it for no reason ( since, let me guess, nobody here has played it )

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
So let me get this straight

You know they re making KOF XIII and you are angry they make a vertical shooter featuring KOF characters?

You surely don't expect SNK to come back in 2009 with franchises like AOF or Ikari Warriors ( the latter especially since they have a very succesful Metal Slug series ) , right? ( snk doesn't have the amount of cash Capcom has )

What does it mean if capcom had other franchises going ?

We re talking about a SF superdeformed puzzle where you line up gems and detonate them .

What does it mean if they released BH the same year? Did it make SSP2T better?

i don't uderstand really, it s a damn spin off . Let it go guys .

If it will suck , we ll bash it.

If it will turn out playable , we ll praise it.

I think it s not very smart to say, oh.. it s so weird , flying KOF characters , where is the series going / random rant

when a NEW classic fighting game ( XIII) has already been announced and is being worked on at the moment .

Let s see how this turns out before bashing the hell out of it for no reason ( since, let me guess, nobody here has played it )

Dude. Who's angry?
You're the one who made the Capcom comparison.
What I expect is going to happen is the same thing that's happened for a while now.
KOF, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown titles will keep being their bread 'n' butter while they do the occasional, all-be-it strange, RPG. That's what I expect from them.
What would be nice to see is Playmore doing something with the other franchises that they do hold.

BH?

I didn't know about KOF 13. I really don't care, since it will be on a system I can't play. There's not enough public information about it yet to care.

Like I said: It's bizarre. I don't get it.
How dare I have a natural reaction to a direction I don't understand.

Also? Who's bashed it other than saying it's strange?
In the realm of this game, I really, really don't care.
But, I would at least like to know what's going on.

Jeesh, man. What all got you befuzzled?

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Dude. Who's angry?
You're the one who made the Capcom comparison.
What I expect is going to happen is the same thing that's happened for a while now.
KOF, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown titles will keep being their bread 'n' butter while they do the occasional, all-be-it strange, RPG. That's what I expect from them.
What would be nice to see is Playmore doing something with the other franchises that they do hold.

BH?

I didn't know about KOF 13. I really don't care, since it will be on a system I can't play. There's not enough public information about it yet to care.

Like I said: It's bizarre. I don't get it.
How dare I have a natural reaction to a direction I don't understand.

Also? Who's bashed it other than saying it's strange?
In the realm of this game, I really, really don't care.
But, I would at least like to know what's going on.

Jeesh, man. What all got you befuzzled?

Probably the fact that everyone online is so negative about this game.

Anyway you want KOF , there will be more ( XIII ); you want Metal Slug and it will soon be on PSP with XX and they announced they were working on an HD version some time ago .

I think they did a good thing killing those useless 3D Kof games and focused back on 2D.

I hope this shooter turns out good , it would be a nice game to play if they get the gameplay right.

Sorry if i said you were angry, i probably jumped the gun.

I just don't see how one could be suprised by a game like this , when it is obviously just a spinoff and not a reset of the main series

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
KOF Sky Stage is just like...Castle of Shikigami III on Wii. I would definitely buy that, if it was sold in the US.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Sky Stage is supposed to be an XBLA title, right? I'll try it for ten bucks, sure.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I still don't know why they didn't make a SHMUP with Metal Slug or the Ikari Warriors. It just feels like Castle Shikigami to me. I'd give it a chance if it gets positive feedback from fans, but I'm not expecting much.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Comparing Capcom's business practices to SNK-P's business practices is a bad idea.

One is a company that knows what the fuck it's doing.

SNK-P is the other.

That's debatable.

And once again I'm not surprised by the lack of AOF characters. :lol:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
That's debatable.

All due respect, but it's not debatable.

Capcom is a healthy business model and a professionally run company.

SNK-P is not.

You may not like Capcom and that is entirely your prerogative.

But there is no debate that Capcom knows what it's doing.

And it's fairly obvious from SNK-P's track record that it really doesn't know what it's doing. If it knew what it was doing, it would have long since righted the ship and they'd be an industry giant living up to their potential. They're barely a garage studio.