Regulated PSU

Kam

Rugal's Thug
If I wanted to avoid using a stepdown transformer
with my jap neo, can I use a normal UK regulated AC adaptor instead. Maplins have plenty of them, but I am not sure which one to get eg 5V, 9V 10v, 1AMP 1.2AMP OR 3AMP etc.

The model of the system is Neo 0 and the serial number is 052305, it as a low number. Use Prow Pow 2. Can any one please help me with this.

Most of the regulated PSU's they have can only be switched to 4.5 volts and and not 5v. Will it be OK to use 4.5 volts on a 5v machine. None of the regulated PSU's state the watts either.

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Kam ]</small>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The 5 volts would be critical imho.
Dont know much about NGH system, but would be very surprised if it would run OK on 4.5 v.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
To my knowledge (which is scanty), the home systems that require 5V/3A are labelled PRO POW and are typically early US models (serial under, say, 30k). But it's safer to try with 5V first and if that doesn't work with 9V (or 10V). As for the amps, it's pretty obvious to me that no home system draws as much as 3A, it's ridiculous even to think it: the 4 slot with one cart inserted draws 2.15A, which raises to 2.75 with 4 carts inserted (there is a 0.2A increase for every additional cart). The truth is that 5V/3A is a fairly common industry standard for power supplies (in fact I've never seen a 5V/2A), so probably that NEO version draws about 2A and SNK thought to use a PSU rated 3A (I'd love to test these things myself but I don't have any home systems). Anyway, I think I have some link for 5V/3A PSUs, I'll see if I can find them...

Kam

Rugal's Thug
MKL:
To my knowledge (which is scanty), the home systems that require 5V/3A are labelled PRO POW and are typically early US models (serial under, say, 30k). But it's safer to try with 5V first and if that doesn't work with 9V (or 10V). As for the amps, it's pretty obvious to me that no home system draws as much as 3A, it's ridiculous even to think it: the 4 slot with one cart inserted draws 2.15A, which raises to 2.75 with 4 carts inserted (there is a 0.2A increase for every additional cart). The truth is that 5V/3A is a fairly common industry standard for power supplies (in fact I've never seen a 5V/2A), so probably that NEO version draws about 2A and SNK thought to use a PSU rated 3A (I'd love to test these things myself but I don't have any home systems). Anyway, I think I have some link for 5V/3A PSUs, I'll see if I can find them...
So if my machine says ''use Pro Pow 2 adaptor only'', does that mean it is a US one and not a jap? the serial number on the machine is 052305

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Kam ]</small>

Kam

Rugal's Thug
<small>[ July 17, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Kam ]</small>

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Kam:
MKL:
So if my machine says ''use Pro Pow 2 adaptor only'', does that mean it is a US one and not a jap? the serial number on the machine is 052305
mmm...I didn't say that. I said that the machines that use a 5V/3A PSU are early US models. These have PRO POW written on the label, like this one:

<a href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/boreal/home/pics/neogeo.jpg" target="_blank">http://www3.sympatico.ca/boreal/home/pics/neogeo.jpg</a>

All I know is that there are the following PSU:

Pro Pow 5V/3A
Pro Pow E 9V/1.2A
Pro Pow 3 10/V1A

I never knew about the PRO POW 2.
I would first try a 5V PSU and then 9V or 10V, not viceversa or you may damage your machine.

Here they have suitable PSU's (both the 5v and the 9V ones):
<a href="http://www.trcelectronics.com/Phihong/power_supply_adaptors_wall_plug_in_psc15a.htm" target="_blank">http://www.trcelectronics.com/Phihong/power_supply_adaptors_wall_plug_in_psc15a.htm</a>
The problem is that the polarity of the plug is wrong: center positive, while the Neo wants center negative. In fact this is the same PSU that's for sale in the Neo Store, only it had the power plug modded (reversed polarity) by Jeff Kurtz. At this point you'd be better off getting it from the Neo Store. And if that should not work you'll go for a 9V or 10V one (these are easier to find, even locally but always pay attention to the polarity of the plug).

edit: if you want to know whether your machine is US or Japanese you might want to open it and read what's written on the bios: NEO-PO = Jap, Neo-EPO = US

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

Kam

Rugal's Thug
Thanks for all your help. I will try the Pro Pow that was given to me with the Pro Pow 2 AES system. Still its a strange fact that no one has seen a Pro Pow 2.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Kam:
Thanks for all your help. I will try the Pro Pow that was given to me with the Pro Pow 2 AES system. Still its a strange fact that no one has seen a Pro Pow 2.
The 5v 3A should work. I've had or may still have a PRO POW 2 unit and that is the PSU that works for the one I have/had.
-BB