Arcade PSU or Desktop?

Kam

Rugal's Thug
I have just had a email from <a href="http://www.uberia.co.uk" target="_blank">www.uberia.co.uk</a>
and they have told me that they can give me either a Arcade PSU or a desktop PSU with my mini gun. My order is ready to go. So can anyone give me some advice. The desktop PSU looks more easier to mess around with. The games I have bought in adavance are Streetfighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat and Pitfighter. They say the desktop PSU has the -5v that some order jammas use.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I'm not sure, but I find it strange the desktop PSU has the -5V. Are you sure you got it right?

Unless you want to use pretty none-standar arcade boards, you don't need -5V. The desktop PSU should be easier to work with, and more than enough for MVS and other common boards.

Kam

Rugal's Thug
I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, MY MISTAKE. I DO NOT THINK I WILL BE ABLE TO RUN MY GAMES ON A DESKTOP PSU

THIS IS WHAT THEY TOLD ME:

We normally send out the dektop psu with the Minigun bundles. The
desktop PSU will run MVS, CPS2 and many other JAMMA boards. The arcade
PSU includes -5 volts that some older JAMMA boards may require to
function properly.

The desktop power supply much neater than the arcade psu.

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Kam ]</small>

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The -5v is not an issue, unless you plan to get the very few boards that need that (mostly early 90's Williams/Midway games).

You should rather consider this:
The desktop PSU you're talking about is rated max. 4A (which is a nominal value, meaning that it cannot actually deliver all that current, not under normal conditions). CPS1 games draw nearly 3A, i.e more than the MVS 1-slots the Uberia miniguns are designed for. I tested myself a mini-PSU (not that one) rated 4.4A and it wasn't even able to power up some CPS1 games. Some other showed annoying lines...
With CPS2 it could be worse: I've just measured my 19XX (the only CPS2 I have) and it draws 3.03A.
So my advise is either to get a more powerful desktop PSU or to go for the arcade one.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
so, you're kernow's buddy?

Amano Jacu Unless you want to use pretty none-standar arcade boards, you don't need -5V.
the standard jamma pinout has the -5v rail at pin 5. typo?

Kam

Rugal's Thug
JUST EMAILED THEM TO SAY I BETTER HAVE THE ARCADE PSU, ALTHOUGH I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE HOW OR WHAT TO DO WITH IT WHEN I GET IT. GETTING IT HOOKED UP ETC.....

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Kam ]</small>

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Fucking CPS2 batteries... :mad: mad_2 oh_no

19xx died on me two minutes ago :(

I received it yesterday and was going to get a new battery later today...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:
And it's true: the lithium battery keeps its voltage constant until the end: yesterday it measured 3.67V...

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
supergoose79:
so, you're kernow's buddy?

Amano Jacu Unless you want to use pretty none-standar arcade boards, you don't need -5V.
the standard jamma pinout has the -5v rail at pin 5. typo?
Let me rephrase that, I meant that, although -5V is in the JAMMA standar, most boards don't use it, so I should have used "non-common" other than "non-standar".

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
MKL:
Fucking CPS2 batteries... :mad: mad_2 oh_no

19xx died on me two minutes ago :(

I received it yesterday and was going to get a new battery later today...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:
And it's true: the lithium battery keeps its voltage constant until the end: yesterday it measured 3.67V...
My deepest condolences... I hope you can use Raz's secret resurrection spell on that board.

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
I think that the Taito F-3 boards uses -5V, so with the desktop PSU you won't be able to play Puzzle Bobble 2-4 and some Gradius game or the othen and not Bubble Symphony either. On the other hand Puzzle Bobble 1 is the only good game in the series =)

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
It's always better to have -5 there, than to not have it and lose compatibility. It takes a whole 2 minutes to wire up 2 additional pins, so it's not a large venture.

Pretty much all Midway games need -5v(everything from MK1-Blitz 2000). I think alot of Konami boards need it too.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Hey, I play ssf2x cps2 from a desktop jameco PSU and its crystal.

The rgb levels need to be taken down a little though.