Constant Test Mode on 4-slot?

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Recently I've begun having problems with my 4-slot cab, namely that it keeps going into Test mode on boot and I have to reinsert the carts. I've just spent a half hour with numerous different carts and configurations of them, including having as few as one cart plugged in and as many as 4, all ending up in test mode on boot. I've tried about 50 times with no success.

Before you state the obvious wink about 4 weeks ago I cleaned every single one of my carts and the actual 4-slot with electronic cleaner, so I can't believe that the contacts are dirty. I've used the system since and each time have gotten it to work eventually. Also, I've tested the games with my Phantom1 and don't seem to have any problems with them either.

Any ideas? crying

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I have never used an electronic cleaner..So I can't comment on it.
Most of the Tech guys use an electronic cleaner and recommend it.

When I cleaned my 4 slots cart comnnectors I used a cardboard nail file..
(I'm gonna try to write this in detail)
I wanted to get a clean metal to metal connection..
I didn't press hard against the connectors..I just rubbed each side on the spot that connects to the cart lightly..
Then I blow out any dust..this may create..

I also take most of my carts apart and clean them with a piece of Scotch Brite(no water)
(The green kind)

If I can't open the cart then I fold the scotch brite and queeze it betwwen the carts connectors..rubbing back and forth..
This gives the carts connectors a shine and removes all or any corrosion..
I make sure every connector is clean..

I was having problems like yours but after I cleaned my stuff this way,I havent had anymore problems.
Otherwise then you power supply might be failing.

<small>[ April 24, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: chris1 ]</small>

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Well I used the exact same stuff and technique for the slots that's on Briggs' site <a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm" target="_blank">HERE</a> so I don't see how they could get any cleaner than what they are. I didn't open the carts and clean inside but like I said, they all seem to work perfectly through my Phantom1, and best as I can tell the contacts look immaculate now. Maybe the Phantom1 isn't as picky about carts as a MVS harness?

I guess I'll go back and clean everything again just to be thorough and see what I can come up with...

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Just as an update I finally got everything working ok. I cleaned the contacts thoroughly on my 4-slot and my carts and it seemed to take care of the problem.

Here's the strange part though: when I cleaned my 4-slot connectors they were still totally clean. I picked up zero dirt from them. However, a number of my carts were VERY dirty. The thing is, all of my carts I've also used in my Phantom1 converter with no problems.

So does that mean that actual MVS hardware is more sensitive to dust/dirt than a home system with Phantom1 converter? spock

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
That's Great News..I'm glad it's ok now..

The Phantom1 converter may be tighter then the MVS slots..so It may be getting a better connection by it being tighter..

The Phantom1's connectors may be touching the cart connectors in different spots than then the MVS connectors do..
Maybe a little further out..or in..

The carts being dirty will cause problems every time on an MVS board though..