Picking up an MVS

Doctor4000

n00b
I've been a gamer since I was a little kid (I'm 23 now), but it's been a dream of mine to own an arcade cabinet (especially a Neo Geo) for quite a while, and now it looks like in one week I will be buying a 2-slot MVS, and I could not be happier.

It's a 19", looks like it is in good shape (although I am going this week to inspect it before I buy it on friday), and comes with Baseball Stars International and King of the Monsters.

Basically, if all goes well, in one week, this bad boy

neogeo.jpg

will be mine.
icon29.gif

So I figured I would introduce myself, say hey, and get to know some of you folks.

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Awesome man! I'm 23 and have wanted a cab since I was 13. Just got one this week. (I had a crappy conversion a long time ago, but the monitor went out within a month...it was awful. sat in my basement for two years, never spent the money to fix the monitor. The joystick and buttons were total crap. Gaah).

Welcome! Think about which games you want the most and drop the money on them. You won't regret it!

Doctor4000

n00b
Thanks.

I definitely want to pick up one of the Metal Slugs, but I haven't decided which one yet. I really want to check out Neo Driftout, but the price guide says it's rare so I might check out Over Top or Thrash Rally instead. I really want to get SVC Chaos (I'm not very good at it, so having it at home would be nice because I could practice). I want to pick up a beatemup as well but I have to see which ones are good first.

So basically I know where all of my discretionary money is going to be spent over the next few months, haha. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the selling forum.

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Well, the general consensus is that Metal Slug 3 is the best of the series. A friend of mine is a pixel artist, and apparently among pixel artists Metal Slug 3 is some sort of human achieved pixel masterpiece. The game is beautiful, for sure.

SVC Chaos is really fun. Not everyone likes that game though. If you're planning on having a lot of people over to play, people tend to generate excitement over the Samurai Shodown games. That and puzzle bobble. Oh yeah, puzzle bobble.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
First thing I'd do is get a new CP and button layout. Then worry about games ;)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
First thing I'd do is get a new CP and button layout. Then worry about games ;)

Agreed! It's not the worst layout but that'd be a priority to me.

MS1,2,X or 3 are great games.

Nice find!

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That cabinet is a converted Joust. Its hard to mistake the artwork on the monitor glass.

Congrats on joining the ranks.

Doctor4000

n00b
Thanks.

So the guy hasn't emailed me back in a few days.

I hope he didn't sell it out from under me.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Thanks.

So the guy hasn't emailed me back in a few days.

I hope he didn't sell it out from under me.

Dude, not to worry. Use Crazedlist.org, and keep searching all around you...they come up.
Plus, like one poster already said, that's a converted cab. If you're anything like me, maybe you'd prefer an original dedicated SNK cabinet.

I had to drive from Albuquerque to LA to get mine (only a week ago!), but honestly they do appear from time to time.
Good luck!

Tallahassee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I was wondering where the memory card slot and the headphone jack was on it. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
The only unfortunate thing about my 4 slot is that some idiot put the Metal Slug 2 controls sticker OVER THE MEMORY SLOT!!!

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to remove stickers without damaging the front of the cab or leaving that sticky residue on there...?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
That cabinet is a converted Joust. Its hard to mistake the artwork on the monitor glass.

Yep, that bezel looks to be in nice shape. You could likely sell it on KLOV and get a MVS one made.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to remove stickers without damaging the front of the cab or leaving that sticky residue on there...?

Goo Gone works great, just don't buy or use Goof Off at all. It's a common mistake made by new ppl and they find out the hard way.....

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Yeah. Goof Off is nasty stuff. If you want to clean stickers off of carts or some parts of cabs, I use slightly watered down isopropyl alcohol. If it is a really tough sticker, break out a hair dryer, and then hit it with the alcohol.