mvs 1 slot fault help

i have a one slot but when i connect it up to the harness and switch on i get a garbled screen and a clicking sound coming from the speakers what do the techys think save it or bin it ? help

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey there Rudekid! Okay, not that you've gone into a huge amount of detail of the issue but I can tell you that I have had similar sounding simptoms from my 4-Slot board before I realised that it was running a fine line between functioning properly and starving of power. It would periodically crash and kinda flick like crazy on the screen and make a clicking sound on the audio while trying to reboot. Though often it couldn't, and would keep on flicking scrambled graphics on screen. I found, due to the length of cable between the PSU and the board, it had dropped voltage by the time it got to the PCB's edge connector. All I had to do was up the voltage a bit at the PSU and it's been completely bullet proof since!! Make sure your board has a full 5 volts measured at the edge connector. If it already has you could try turning it up just a tad more! Say 5.2 or 5.3 volts. Good luck with that! glee

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
also, that behavior you describe happens when you have no or a bad bios installed.. check the chip contacts, clean them, and put the bios back into the socket, also check that it's plugged in the right way.

Allien133

Astra Superstar
That happened to me once, i found out i blew the fuse somehow ,and i replaced the fuse and it worked fine

Freelancer

Banned
Arakon:
also, that behavior you describe happens when you have no or a bad bios installed.. check the chip contacts, clean them, and put the bios back into the socket, also check that it's plugged in the right way.
EXACTLY!
I had the same problem (garbled screen, clicking sound) when I first got my board. After reseating the BIOS, I found that whoever owned my board before me had inadvertently inserted the BIOS chip into the socket the wrong way. After extracting the chip and reseating it in the alternate direction, everything worked fine.

In short, your problem may just be a case of the BIOS chip having been inserted the wrong way. Take it out, rotate it and put it back in the chip socket. 99% sure your board will be functional.

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
the chip might've been destroyed by being seated the wrong way, so check if the notch on the chip matches the notch on the socket/PCB first. if it does, DON'T turn it around, just clean it.

well i have tried everything mentioned in the replys to this problem and it is still broke looks like a trip the the spare parts bin thanks
for all your replys :)

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
if you want to sell it, lemme know.. what board model is it?