JAMMA converter

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
I am trying to buy this and stick it in my cab:

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/jamma_converter/" target="_blank">JAMMAcast</a>

but the site has no links to a purchase page.
I understand it sells for $200.
Does anyone own this and can vouch for its quality?

[Edited for stupidity]

Woops. Fond the link. The page is big and I didn't scroll right.

But I'm still curious about its quality.

<small>[ July 12, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: CarlDMC ]</small>

Freelancer

Banned
Ok. What is it that you need that's tech-related for this product? Do you need help installing it? Do you need recommendations? Please be more specific.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
First I was wondering about the video quality, if it is actual RGB clean, using actual RGB signals from the system. How well does a PS2 or XBOX game in RGB look on the NEO 29 monitor, which I believe won't do hi res?

Secondly it says JAMMA plus compatible for 6-buttons. I'm guessing I need to buy a kick harness (I think that's what it's called), or is it something I can put together myself?

Lastly, has anyone managed to fit a 2-slot AND a PS2 with JAMMAcast in their candy cab?

Kristoff

Another Striker
I can't help you with your questions about the RGB, etc...

But I can tell you that I used to have my 6-slot and Hyper 64 in the same Neo cab. I simply placed a piece of heavy plastic (was a thin piece like a pane of glass) over the 6-slot and then set the Hyper on top. Worked pretty well, so I wouldn't think that you would have any problems getting your PS2 in there :)

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
xbox and ps2 are lowres too. anything that can be displayed on a normal tv is lowres.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
I see...

So how difficult is it to build a kick harness? I can't imagine it being any more difficult than connecting point A to point B with a wire....

And do you think the newer progressive scan PS2 would actually benefit from RGB?

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
any system looks MUCH better in RGB, compared to AV.
and yes, a kick harness is just wires from A to B.

<small>[ July 14, 2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Arakon ]</small>

Allien133

Astra Superstar
i want one for my xbox, anyone know how to buy one or if the seller is trust worthy ?

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
The jamma plus will depend totally on your cab, sense the jamma harness only supports 3 buttons (4 if you count the MVS board) you will naturally have to plug your other three buttons into this converter like you would plug it into a pcb, which should be a cake walk for any one who has switched a PCB, not only that you wont have to ever switch your jamma plus around until you switch the system its self and not just the game! Not to shabby. Sense this thing plugs into a prebuilt jamma cab, weather or not its true RGB will depends 100% on your cab’s monitor because I know most systems will have the output its finding a decent monitor is the problem. I personally think I could make one of these for about 30-50 bucks in parts and not to much man work. This “sounds” like a cool idea, but I don’t generally like to stand up for 4-8+ hours playing games ( I love standing up for some really intense arcade fights but when I’m jacking around in training mode it could last all day ^_^). I much prefer just building a nice sturdy stick out of arcade parts then wiring the whole system into the cab, imagine switching all your systems back and fourth when ever you want to play a game on a bigger screen, a non fighting game or just want to sit down… This does sound like an interesting concept though and I think that it would be very cool when having friends over and you want to switch games ^_^

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
P.S. S-Video is MMUUCCHHHHHH better for movies of any kind, and just as good for games as RGB is. I personaly prefer S-Video with the growing number FMV and movies in games these days.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Allien133:
i want one for my xbox, anyone know how to buy one or if the seller is trust worthy ?
Here's what the seller e-mailed me...

These are all built by hand and require quite a bit of labor and time so they are not cheap. Each version is $199 (except XBOX only which is $260 due to the high price of the XBOX controllers). I can also make a combo unit, which is the RGB cables for PS2 and any other system (XBOX, Dreamcast or Saturn) wired into one unit and Playstation controls wired for $249. You would have to use a PSX to DC (or PSX to XBOX) adaptor so you can use the PSX controls, but other than that it would function the same as the PS2 version advertised on the site. You can also add a third system for $25 more (or 4th for another $12). If you want to add the credit timer function add $100 to the unit. (doesnt time gameplay for credit but actually "locks out" the start button. When a credit is inserted this "enables" the start button for a set period of time giving the player access to start a game. After the game has been started the start button is locked out again and the player can play his game unil it ends.)
JAMMAcast Converters