Neo*Geo Online Collection box sets on the way

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
For those interested, SNKP is putting out two box sets to encapsulate the Neo*Geo Online Collection PS2 releases in Japan.

First Volume:
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves (1 title)
- Art of Fighting Anthology (3 titles)
- Fatal Fury Battle Archives 1 (4 titles)
- Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2 (3 titles)
- Sunsoft Collection (2 titles)
- Samurai Shodown Anthology (6 titles)

Last Volume:
- The Last Blade 1 & 2 (2 titles)
- The King of Fighters Orochi Collection (3 titles)
- The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (1 title)
- The King of Fighters NESTS Collection (3 titles)
- Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter (2 titles)
- World Heroes Anthology (4 titles)

Both coming out on 12-23-2009, priced at 9,980 yen. No ADK Damashii or KOF2002 Unlimited Match, presumably because they're not online.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
How about they do something new and interesting for a change?

One could say that for the entire industry, that we're constantly being sucked into an endless cycle of "rehashitis" and "sequelitis". FFXIV? Yeesh.

The sad truth is, is that most game players, whether hardcore or casual, are satisfied with the tried and true; I'm sure that you're familiar with the old phrase, "familiarity breeds content"?

Of course, we're not "most game players" here, we're just a (very) vocal minority, but SNKP seems to be doing what would pull in the most amount of money for the least investment. Maybe they're gathering funds for a bigger project? Testing the waters, seeing how many are still playing certain series? Who knows?

What I am certain of is this: even after all this time, the US audience is still smaller than the Japanese audience for these games (hence no online for the US releases for instance), and more than several may never see the light of day over here... which in and of itself is a crying shame, imo.

I personally have copies of the SNK Arcade Collection, AoF Anthology, FFBA 1 & 2, WHA, SamSho Anthology, KoF Orochi, and KoF '98 UM. I play them in the shop from time to time, and occasionally drum up some interest in the younger set. At the same time, I also have NGBC. I loved that. Do I wish they'd do more in that vein rather than just rehash? Sure! But if I have to continue to buy said rehashes in the meantime to help stock the coffers, so be it.

OK, I dunno where the hell I was going with this, since I just rolled out of bed, but I think you get the gist. :lolz:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I bought all of these as they were being released but started with AOF so I had to go back and get Garou as a standalone without the PS2 stick (which I am kicking myself for at this point.) I haven't regretted a single purchase among them-it's allowed me to store my AES for the time being since my living space is currently limited. The aesthetics are not quite the same as playing the real deal but with my PS2 neo sticks, they're still fun for reliving old memories. And that's really what these collections are all about.

2002 UM and ADK Tamashi are not part of the online collection-they are separate releases from the 'online anthology' lineup, so it wouldn't make sense to include them in these boxed sets.

Personally, I hope that this is just their way of trying to get some money so they can finish what they started with KOF XII.

This company can STILL do some good, but they have to get what they can right now and then properly manage their resources.

I'd personally like to see SNK release some more of the Arcade Classics collections. There are some good non fighting titles out there that need some 'greatest hits' love.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I'd personally like to see SNK release some more of the Arcade Classics collections. There are some good non fighting titles out there that need some 'greatest hits' love.

+1

There needs to be a KoF Nest collection too.

I'm not against compilations/budget releases but at least make a new one.

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
I know my question was rhetorical and I'll probably end up buying these anyway, but they really do need some new ip. The KOF shooter just doesn't cut it.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
Inorite? I scoped that a while back, showed it to my coworkers, and we had ourselves a collective facepalm... *shakes head slowly*

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Maybe he meant for US release? :spock: Granted, I have a modded PS2, so I don't have to worry about compatibility and all that, but not all of us do.

Well...he didn't SAY that, did he?:angry:

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
Well...he didn't SAY that, did he?:angry:

No, but I figured I'd cover every base. Just in case. *shrug*

For instance, you probably have no idea just how many people wander into the store (esp. this time of year), see the AES in its box on display, and ask, WTF is that?

Default work-related mindset is hard to break, especially after a prolonged absence such as mine. :p

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
No, but I figured I'd cover every base. Just in case. *shrug*

For instance, you probably have no idea just how many people wander into the store (esp. this time of year), see the AES in its box on display, and ask, WTF is that?

Default work-related mindset is hard to break, especially after a prolonged absence such as mine. :p

This store of yours have a website? If you sell AES, I must wander the virtual aisles of your establishment.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Yeah, I meant a US release. Importing region locked games is too much of a financial pain in the ass to deal with.

Plus most compilations/2d disc games are budget priced when US ported. :cool:

aria

Former Moderator
With the state of SNK-P* these days, I initially assumed the "collection box" was for donations to keep their uninspiring crap-o-rama alive.

*The P stands for pathetic.

Clessy

Banned
I wish Capcom would just buy SNKP and all of its ip's. At least then they'd be saved from SNKP raping what little credablity they have left.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Every reissue for me has been aces. Except snk classics. That was spades.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I wish Capcom would just buy SNKP and all of its ip's. At least then they'd be saved from SNKP raping what little credablity they have left.

I have found myself in this desperate place as well.

And I'm not entirely against the notion.

Ten years ago, I would have considered this unthinkable.

But now...I just want the new entries in the franchises I love to be treated with a little more dignity.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
For the PS2 only? Then it's fucking worthless to me. Stupid worthless Playmore.

wake me when it comes out on the PS3.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Compilation rerelease, not fresh ports, Charlie.

Clessy

Banned
I cant wait till we see this

SNK PRESENTS! THE NEOGEO DEFINITIVE COLLECTION. EVERY SINGLE SNK NEOGEO GAME FOR $59.99 ON PS3/XB360

Then it would be a good value.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNKP doesn't give a shit.

They just want pure profit, not hard earned profit from making masterpieces.

Capcom is making SNKP look stupid. They aren't even competition anymore.

Welcome to the dark ages gentlemen.