Sound issues with Unibios 3.0

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
Sometimes the sound on my cab will cut out and I can't restore the sound unless I fully shut down then turn it back on, a soft reboot doesn't help. This has only started to happen since I have installed the unibios 3.0. Has anyone else experienced this?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
What board do you have?

I used to have a similar problem. It's probably not the bios.

I had a problem where I'd have some sound go out, then later more would go out, until it was completely silent. Fixing it took a combination of: swapping carts around to different slots, REALLY cleaning the cart slots (contact cleaner and a toothbrush), and increasing the 5V line from the power supply a little.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Fixing it took a combination of: swapping carts around to different slots, REALLY cleaning the cart slots (contact cleaner and a toothbrush), and increasing the 5V line from the power supply a little.

+1 on dirty slots.

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
I have an MV-4F but I'm unsure if there are different versions. I had to unscrew the top board because the bios was located on the bottom board if that makes sense.

Looks like this one from HardMVS
MV-4FholesSm.jpg

I figured the slot arrangement could be to blame but dirty slots? How would you clean them?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I figured the slot arrangement could be to blame but dirty slots? How would you clean them?
Try the problem game in each slot, by itself, one slot at a time to check slot arrangement issues.

For the slots, I used some cleaner like this and a cheap toothbrush. Just sprayed it in the slots and scrubbed a while. Make sure you give it plenty of time to dry after cleaning.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
AAAAAAH!

Don't use a cleaner with lubricant! It attracts dust and causes more problems!

Try a toothbrush and pure isopropyl alcohol - pure, not the 30 to 50% water version from the drugstore.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Get the 95% isopropyl. It basically evaporates in open air, leaving no liquid behind that could screw up your boards.

Its like 3 bucks, and it works awesome. I actually take an old white t-shirt, cut it, and use my credit card to clean my cartridge slots out. Fits really well, and always does the job.

Shocking how dirty the cart ports get

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
AAAAAAH!

Don't use a cleaner with lubricant! It attracts dust and causes more problems!

Try a toothbrush and pure isopropyl alcohol - pure, not the 30 to 50% water version from the drugstore.
You (I, in this case) learn something new every day. :)

I personally haven't had a problem with it but I'm sure channelmaniac knows better.

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
Just reporting back that the sound problem has appeared to have stopped for now. I had noticed that the sound would stop on SVC Chaos so I switched the arrangement around. I haven't cleaned the ports yet but it sounds like a good idea anyway and I'll probably get around to it later today. I always clean my carts when I get them but I have never cleaned the sl[ots.

[Edit]
I got around to cleaning the slots and they were pretty dirty. It has definitely helped because my Alpha Mission 2 cart used to be glitchy half the time I would insert it but not anymore. Thanks guys!

Last edited: