PSPgo and SNK

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
Today, Sony made the following NeoGeo titles available for its new, download-only PSP, the PSPgo:

SNK Arcade Classics, Vol. 1 $20
Samurai Shodown Anthology $20
The King of Fighters Collection $20
The King of Fighters '99 (PS1 port) $6

I downloaded SNK Arcade Classics, Vol. 1.; it plays extremely well. However, the fighting games included in the collection tend to cramp one's hands due to the compact design of the new system's controls.

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
Did the sam sho collection have SSVs? I forgot and never read if they ended up including it in any of the versions of the ports or not.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
No, it did not include Samurai Shodown V Special. It includes Sam Sho I-VI only.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I dont get why they keep exclusing Special from the anthology? Not like it has much resale value outside the whole bundle?

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Because it has "bad reputation" (caused an uproar with its violence because Nevada-tan incident happened then); as well as SSAZ has "bad reputation" because it didnt became too popular (because SNK havent distributed it much to begin with, and HNG64 was a costly platform).

So here, they decide to drop support on those games they deem unsuccessful, and instead they will produce a million of dating sims with successful character Iroha

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Because it has "bad reputation" (caused an uproar with its violence because Nevada-tan incident happened then)

No. That was the line SNKP gave for the censorship of the homecart but not the reason given as to its exclusion from the anthology. After all, why not just release it again censored?

The actual reason given was that it was meant to be kept a Neo Geo exclusive, since it was the last game produced for the hardware.
But who knows. After censoring and then "fixing" all those homecarts, maybe they just wanted to skip the question of "to censor or not to censor" altogether.

Either way, great game despite its flaws. I think it's miles more playable and all around enjoyable than VI. Right up there with II for me.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
$20 for download? I'd rather have UMD version instead.............:spock:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
$20 for download? I'd rather have UMD version instead.............:spock:

Agreed. I hate paying for downloadable content. I value the physical product I pay for.

No PSPGo for me for a few years, till I see what happens.

I havent even read if your GO dies, what happens to your content?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I havent even read if your GO dies, what happens to your content?

If Sony is the least bit smart, I'm sure there's some sort of system like XBLA has where it ties your ID to what you've downloaded in the past therefor giving you rights to that software so you can access it at any time.

The crux of this system is that everything goes on a card. It's just asking to be cracked wide open and have piracy run rampant on it. I'm curious to see how that plays out with the PSPGo and how Sony plans on dealing with it. Then again, the only real reason I own a PSP is because it emulates things like the (nearly) entire Neo-Geo library, among other things.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
You can download games and media through either your PSN account on a Playstation 3, or install Sony's Media Go software on a Windows PC to keep back-ups of everything you download. Also everything is tied to your PSN account, so if you got another PSP Go, you'd just log in with it and could re-download all your content.

Anyway, the PSP Go might be good for new users, but it's not worth the upgrade if you have a current PSP, and ESPECIALLY if you use a custom firmware PSP, which is still the best way play PSP games by far.

And don't forget that Samurai Shodown IV (Tenka) on PSP is an absolute piece of shit!