6 slot repairs

Woohoo! My 6 slot arrived today!

Well, now I'm gonna have to try to fix it. Which means building an SG. Anything I gotta take into consideration with a 6 slot?

Also, the guy said it came up with ROM ERROR. I know this is very vague, but any ideas on the problem?

p.s. any dead boards still much appreciated ;) This one I wanna get up and running though!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Electronix shit can be fickle, split the board set, blow off the dust, clean contacts, wipe off the leaking electrolyte around the battery, go down the pub for a cold beer and then boot up with with no carts. Make sure to have around 5.2 volts on the edge connect and have a small prayer. It might work. If not its going to be tricky but not impossible.

Any sign of messing around of the board- messy solder work ?

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
I'm working on re-capping a 6 slot board that I picked up on eBay for a song. It works great except there is no sound. A full set of caps for the 6 slot was about $50.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I doubt that it would be a cap issue on a motherboard, its a big issue on monitor boards because of the heat dissipation and resultant drying out.
Do you know if the problem is in the digital processing stage or around the linear output stage(HA 13001) Is there a hum/buzz out of the speakers if you touch the audio output chip pins ?

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
No sound whatsoever out of the Jamma connector or the headphone connector. NightmareTony suggested the cap replacement in the sound amp area so I figure it's worth a shot.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It may well be a cap problem but I doubt it, dont want to try to teach my Granny how to suck eggs, but you do have 12 volts on pin 10 of the HA13001?
Typical circuit diagram here <a href="http://www.boomspeed.com/ttooddddyy/HA13001.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.boomspeed.com/ttooddddyy/HA13001.JPG</a>
We can fix this, trust me Im a doctor

Did you do the buzz test ?

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

cheers for the responses - i'm off on hols for a week so i'll put something together to test it when i get back and let ya know :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Have a nice break Eggplant, any luck with the sound issue Briggs ?

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>