Glass advice

bconner

Kula's Candy
I got a replacement glass for my MVS.

I was advised by folks in this forum to get safety glass.

However, my pinball machine buddy recommeded tempered glass, as it also breaks in small non-jagged pieces, but is many times stronger than non-tempered glass. Also because tempered glass has less optical defects.

Unfortunately, the factory who made the glass I ordered for my Neo Geo and pinball machine, etched it's name along with the fact the glass is tempered one one corner of each piece.

According to the store I ordered them through, this is done so building inspectors can tell the glass is tempered.

I just wanted to warn anybody ordering glass that they need to request this etching not be done when getting glass for machine restorations.

I don't know why the glass shop didn't mention the etching, as they knew the glass was for arcade machines and not for a building.

None-the-less, the etched part is not real obvious, and the new glass looks better than the old ones that had people's names scratched into them.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
On my mvs cabs the glass is etched "toughened and supplied by Leisure & Allied" on the bottom RH side, L&A were the Australian arcade cab makers licienced by SNK to manufacture MVS cabs.
So in some cases it may make the renovation more authentic in a way, if the etch is of similar size and in the correct place.

Do the US models have this on the glass ?

BTW you can just about see it on Geo in the sig pic.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

bconner

Kula's Candy
Mine had no etching, but I don't know if the glass was original or not.