MVS in standard JAMMA cab

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I got a really good deal on a SNK P.O.W. arcade machine. $100 and it is right down the road from me so I'm going to throw it in my SUV and bring it home tonight.

I assume POW is a standard JAMMA cabinet. (?) So if I wanted to get a MVS to use in this cab do I need this adapter ?

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/neogeo-mvs-to-jamma-adapter/prod_198.html

They claim without it the MVS audio section will be harmed.

I know I'll have to add 1 more button for player 1 and another for player 2 cause the POW cab is only 3 buttons per player. Thats no big deal though.

I'm really excited to be getting a working jamma cab, and POW isnt that bad of a game to start off with. I've built a full sized mame arcade machine before but was never really too happy with it. I like the idea of using the real PCBs a lot better.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Looks like POW is straight JAMMA, so you should be good for MVS with just one more button added to the harness....

...that is....if you stick with a 1 slot PCB and set it to Jamma mode...which deprives you of stereo sound. If you want Stereo, there is more wiring to do...and you'd kill your JAMMA compatibility...though you could build in a system that switches stereo on and off.

Summation: 1 slot MVS can be set to be JAMMA, so if you went with one of those, you would just need to put in the extra buttons.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Thank you.

So on ebay I see MV-1, MV1B, MV1C ..... does it matter what 1 slot system or are all the different 1 slot models able to be set to straight jamma compatablility?

I'm guessing all 1 slots have this switch so that an arcade operator can throw it in any jamma cab... Just want to be positive before ordering something.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
All 1 slots are JAMMA, if you want to use an MVS pinout multislot you'll need an MVS->JAMMA adaptor card , no cab modding needed.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I have that $26 adaptor from www.jammaboards.com and I use it on my MV-4F and it works mint. If you are getting a multiple slot neo board get it! If your planning on a one slot not needed at all.