Cheapo Korean Stick Doesn't Work

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was looking around at the video games floor at Techno Mart in Seoul, and I went to the Korean GameStop of sorts, or at least the closest thing they have. It's called Game Woori.

Anyway, they had several units of this Korean-made PS2 arcade stick for sale. I am not kidding, they were asking 5,500 won for these (less than $5.50), so I knew we were talking major horrible crap when I bought this. I bought it out of sheer morbid curiosity, and also because I'm real pissed at my Neo Stick 3.

I got it home and out of the box, and the build quality is quite bad. Particle board with fake wood sticker covering. You can see that it's really just a big empty box from the pics. The joystick at least looks sound, although I'm not a big fan of bat tops. The stick itself is made by a Korean manufacturer called Myeongshin.

I can't really speak further for the quality because it doesn't work. Unfortunately I don't have a PS2 to test it on, only my 360 with the converter. The converter works fine with all other PS controllers I've tried with it, but I'm not willing to rule out the converter as the problem. The buttons work, but the stick does not. In fact, it locks the directions on the connected XBox 360 controller on the same quadrant, so it really seems that something is mis-wired. I've attached a closeup of the soldering so that you can see the poor quality.

I kind of wish this thing worked, just to try it out. I don't think it's a good modding stick because of the way the crappy buttons are attached right to the PCB, and the terrible quality of the wood case (the top is held on with those long staple-ish wood tack things, whatever they're called). I'm going to have to get a Hori stick for future expansion (and soon because I still wanna play KOF XII and be able to chain supers for once), but right now my options are limited in Korea unless I settle for a Hori that only works on the 360.

I probably could fix this stick if I had my tools, but I'm not going to buy tools just to fix this. Not worth it. I'm afraid this stick is destined for the trash pile outside. I circled some suspect soldering in the pic below. I'm just curious why all of these solder points are bridged. I cannot see why they would be. All of the traces on the PCB are on the side that you're viewing except for the ground, so you're not missing anything in this view.

I'm just posting this for pure documenting purposes. Take it as you will.

kstick1.jpg

kstick2.jpg

kstick3.jpg

kstick4.jpg

kstick5.jpg

By the way, here's the official site for this stick. They sell more sticks.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Looks nice on the box, then it looks cheap fake wood in actual pictures.

And WTF is this LOL
no1_ps3.gif

on the pic kstick4, it can be from the way the stick was positioned to take the pic but one switch is closed, controls movement to the left.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
on the pic kstick4, it can be from the way the stick was positioned to take the pic but one switch is closed, controls movement to the left.
Yeah, good eye. It's just from the way it was laying. I've already checked obvious things like that. Stick mechanism appears to be fine.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
lol, are you sure? The buttons really do suck too.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sometimes these generic sticks are stuck in analog mode. Unless the PCB in the stick uses digital and the game you are playing doesn't support digital controllers.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sometimes these generic sticks are stuck in analog mode. Unless the PCB in the stick uses digital and the game you are playing doesn't support digital controllers.
I double-checked. That isn't the issue. It doesn't control analog or digital. It also locks the digital pad on the 360 controller it's connected with, but not the analog stick (it still operates) so I think it's fairly safe to assume it's connected to the digital.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's what I mean. It's digital and maybe your PS2 game doesn't suport the digital input. I had the same problem when I played Dynasty Warriors4 with a digital pad.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's what I mean. It's digital and maybe your PS2 game doesn't suport the digital input. I had the same problem when I played Dynasty Warriors4 with a digital pad.
I've got no PS2 here. Tested it on KOFXII for the 360 and the dashboard.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Man, Korean sticks are weird. I knew about the rubber in place of a spring, but leaf switches?

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
like OMG this stick is so sex :drool_2:

Have you tried it on an actual PS2 yet?

Did nobody read through the orignal post, lol. He has no PS2 to test it on so he is using his ps2->xbox switcher.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Did nobody read through the orignal post, lol. He has no PS2 to test it on so he is using his ps2->xbox switcher.

I know that. I was just wondering if he'd take the time to test it on an actual PS2 but it sounds like there isn't one readily available.

I GOTS DAT PAYPAL HOMEY, don't junk it yet :vik:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have it if you want it. I don't know if you want to pay for shipping on it though. I need to find the post office. Never been there.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Its funny you made this thread because I was recently looking into Korean sticks myself. Apparently they are really great for Tekken and some people love them for SF too. I was reading about them over on srk and apparently these and the Saulubi (sp?) sticks have a hard time with converters of any kind. In fact it seems like people only buy these with the intention of modding them later. I am just really curious to try one of those Fanta sticks personally.

Anyway, if you want to have a little project to work on, consult the srk.com member Laugh. He lives in Korea and is a really respected seller on the srk forums who sells Korean parts. I've considered ordering a stick from him.

sackashiet

Banned
Its funny you made this thread because I was recently looking into Korean sticks myself. Apparently they are really great for Tekken and some people love them for SF too. I was reading about them over on srk and apparently these and the Saulubi (sp?) sticks have a hard time with converters of any kind. In fact it seems like people only buy these with the intention of modding them later. I am just really curious to try one of those Fanta sticks personally.

Anyway, if you want to have a little project to work on, consult the srk.com member Laugh. He lives in Korea and is a really respected seller on the srk forums who sells Korean parts. I've considered ordering a stick from him.

These are probably popular to mod because they are most likely very easy to mod. looking at the picture you can remove and replace the joystick with a Sanwa JLF or JLW very easily. it even has quick disconnects on the wires so no soldering involved. and the size of the box looks like its big enough to fit any joystick and not have to worry about space. the buttons would have to be unsoldered from the pcb but pretty easy to do. for the price, I'm thinking a lot of people would buy this just for the box and pcb alone.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
These are probably popular to mod because they are most likely very easy to mod. looking at the picture you can remove and replace the joystick with a Sanwa JLF or JLW very easily. it even has quick disconnects on the wires so no soldering involved. and the size of the box looks like its big enough to fit any joystick and not have to worry about space. the buttons would have to be unsoldered from the pcb but pretty easy to do. for the price, I'm thinking a lot of people would buy this just for the box and pcb alone.
That was my feeling too when I bought it, except the box itself is total shit. I'd be embarrassed to bring it anywhere. Can't get the fucker completely closed now either, since it uses staples or tacks or whatever you call them.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I got this in the mail today....took a month to get here from Korea but it's here safe and sound!

God DAMN this thing is ghetto fabulous...the cheapest particle board you could imagine with a terrible wood grain sticker on it. The stick+buttons are sturdy in action but feel cheap as hell initially.

As ghetto as it looks this thing plays like a dream for me...I can consistently pull off:dragf: motions without struggle and the buttons/stick seem super responsive. This thing works better than my ASCII stick.

I'll probably end up gluing the top on or putting in a hinge or something.

Thanks a lot man, this thing is awesome! :buttrock:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Good to hear it. I warned about how ghetto it is. I guess it does indeed work.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Good to hear it. I warned about how ghetto it is. I guess it does indeed work.

Yeah dude, like I said the stick is one of the better ones I've played...it'll be my go-to stick for my PS2 fighters from now on.

Once I get the lid sealed shut of course :loco:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I figured out that thing wasn't meant to be opened after the deed had been done. I guess this means my expensive-ass controller converter (XFPS) doesn't work with everything. I'd like to try one of those cheaper ones that's out now.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I figured out that thing wasn't meant to be opened after the deed had been done. I guess this means my expensive-ass controller converter (XFPS) doesn't work with everything. I'd like to try one of those cheaper ones that's out now.

No it's definitely the controller itself.

I decided to experiment tonight and switch the stick quickconnects around to fix the fucked up TATE controls in Raiden Project (up=left and so on). That worked fine but the controller freaked the fuck out, acting like Start and Select were on turbo. I popped in Descent just to double check...while it didn't have the Start/Select turbo the stick freaked out and would move up and down randomly.

Finally I put in Twisted Metal:Head On and although I couldn't turn (turning is analog only) everything worked perfectly. I even won a match not being able to turn. :lolz:

So yeah it looks like this stick was made solely for actual PS2 hardware/software and nothing else.