Definitive Neo GEo AES top ten

strider

duck duck goose
So we've commissioned a 6-page article, but we're also needing a top 10.
Now I could just write my own, but once again, thought it would be fun to open it up to you guys.

So all you need to do is name your ten favourite games and give them points. 10 being the best, 1 for your least favourite. I'll then collate them with the ones we have at RG and the top ten scorers will appear in the issue.

Darran

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You could try looking at Kazuya's site for his top 10 Neo Geo games- http://www.neogeoforlife.com
It's easier to do a list of the greatest (rather than the best) Neo games.
This is my list:

10 Garou: Mark of the Wolves
9 The Last Blade 2
8 The Last Blade
7 Samurai Shodown 2
6 Metal Slug
5 Blazing Star
4 Pulstar
3 King of Fighters 98
2 Fatal Fury Special
1 Sengoku 3

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Damn hard to number these as I like many of them equally or they are of different genres and thus hard to compare vs each other, but here you go:

10 Samurai Shodown II
9 The Last Blade 2
8 Samurai Shodown V Special
7 Magical Drop 3
6 Metal Slug 3
5 Pulstar
4 Garou: Mark of the Wolves
3 Metal Slug
2 King of Fighters 99
1 Puzzle Bobble 2

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Mmmm... For authenticity I rate for AES / NGH (as played most & owned)

10 - Sam 5 (special & unfixed)
9 - Metal Slug 2
8 - MOTW
7 - Pulstar
6 - Last Blade

Falling into MVS here...

5 - Blazing Star
4 - Magical Drop 3
3 - Last Resort
2 - Neo Turf Masters

Back to AES / NGH... *cough*

1 - Last Hope (for the shear fear)

(e) Don't tell us who will be heading this article up Darran..
I want to read who it be :)

Si said:
Invevitably I've fucked all that up but tis fixed :emb:

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Definitive?

in my opinion, going strictly on MVS, and the arcade scene

Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown received a warm reception with its crisp gameplay and beautiful sprite artwork. It was no surprise that when Samurai Shodown II came out, the crowds grew exponentially. The game was simply ahead of its time. And while so many games have aged badly, Samurai Shodown II is still a sight for sore eyes. It has aged like Sean Connery.

Baseball Stars 2
This is the only baseball game that makes baseball look fun. Seriously speaking, baseball is a joke. But Baseball Stars 2 is awesome. Simple gameplay, lush colors, crisp art, and very competitive.

Metal Slug
Before the aliens, pirates, mummies and zombies, there were two soldiers versus an army, firing guns, tossing grenades, while new wave jazz played in the background. The presentation was tight. Later Metal Slug games completely lost touch with this. But the first Metal Slug was perfect.

Ninja Master's
Still one of the most underrated games in the neogeo library. There are probably still special moves derived from combos yet undocumented. Great backgrounds, great soundtrack, great character design, great controls. Overall, one of the best games on the system.

Last Blade
The only negative was that it didn't have the same excellent roster of Last Blade 2. Otherwise, the first Last Blade was superior in terms of backgrounds. From the snowfall effects to the fight on the ship. I also preferred Shikyoh for his desperation move in the first Last Blade.

Last Resort
It was a beautiful game back when it was released, and while it may not be as flashy as what has since been released, the soundtrack is still leaps and bounds ahead of its time.

King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '95 was a break out game for the Neo Geo. It definitely helped that it was one of the first desireable neo geo games to get a proper port to another system (Saturn). I think this in turn helped make the game more competitive. I would play against people at Chinatown Fair who would go home and then practice on their Saturns and come back to play again. This was the last KoF that you had to really think in. From KoF '96, onwards, moves became intuitive. No crazy Desperation Move motions to figure out. KoF '95 is still on of the most challenging 1P fighting games, with good controls (sorry fatal fury special), to this date.

Nam 1975
When it came out, Nam 1975 was badass. It pretty much defined the Neo Geo. It's still hard as balls.

SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
It's not a perfect game, but it's one of the most beautiful games on the system, and the level of detail that went into making the game is stunning. Dmitri's Midnight Bliss is hands down the coolest thing to happen in a fighting game, deftly surpassing Kouryu's SDM in LB2. Anyone who wants to talk about how broken the game is can go back to their CVS2. I don't care. SVCC was a masterpiece.

Samurai Shodown III
Speaking of broken masterpieces, Samurai Shodown III has been the most maligned masterpiece in the SNK library. There are games that deserve to get trashed, but not Samurai Shodown III. Why does it get a bad reputation? Because in this swordfight, you can die within two hits. People want their sword fights to last longer. Take a second and think about the genius in that. Samurai Shodown III is possibly the most beautiful Samurai Shodown game to date. The spites they made in III would be carried on for generation it would seem, but the palettes would never be as good. Moreover, the backgrounds wouldn't be as good later on. The music after SSIII not as good. And it brings to mind the story by Pablo Neruda of the Irish king that commissions the court poet to compose a poem that would put them in history as Homer did for Ulysses. The poet spent a year and returned to the king's court with a brilliant poem, perfect scansion, meter, verse, everything was presented beautifully (SSII). The king and his court were floored at the beauty of the poem. The king rewarded the poet with a silver mirror and commissioned him to write another. A year passed and the poet returned with a new poem, but the verse was more rough, yet more visceral, and the level of detail was breathtaking. It detailed battles as battles were (SSIII). The king and his court were taken by the poem, but instead of having the poem taught in all the schools, the king locked the poem in an ivory chest, and commissioned the poet to compose one more. A year passed and the king asked for the poem, and the poet didn't want to share it. Upon pressure from the king, the poet delivered a single line of verse. And the king understood. Once true beauty is witnessed, anything less becomes more repulsive than before. The king gave the poet his dagger. The poet committed suicide, and the King became a beggar in his own land. That is the story of SSIII, and why it is so great.

ilazul

Enemy Chaser
10. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
9. Last Blade 2
8. Metal Slug X
7. Samurai Shodown V Special
6. Magical Drop III
5. The King of Fighters 98
4. Metal Slug 3
3. Blazing Star
2. The King of Fighters 2002
1. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Hell yeah, give out a small overview on that top 10 :)

@ this poll you have planned take some space
for a description retrospective (as per Wasabi's input)
on any fave run down ?

(e) I actually took off Ninja Masters but a top 20 would
probably be pushing feature space...

(Agreed on the sweet ease of combos)
being rubbish @ KOF :annoyed:

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
10. Legend Of Success Joe
9. Legend Of Success Joe
8. Legend Of Success Joe
7. Legend Of Success Joe
6. Legend Of Success Joe
5. Legend Of Success Joe
4. Legend Of Success Joe
3. Legend Of Success Joe
2. Legend Of Success Joe
1. Legend Of Success Joe

Lock the thread. We're done here.

On a serious note, I'd LOVE to pipe in on this but I just don't have enough different kinds of AES titles to justify posting a legitimate list. I have every Fatal Fury, every Art Of Fighting, every King Of Fighters, Samsho 1 and 2 and SvC Chaos and there are just a TON of other games that came out for the system.

Fun thread to read so far!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
10. KOF 98
9. Samurai Shodown 2
8. Metal Slug
7. Mark of the Wolves
6. Fatal Fury Special
5. Metal Slug 3
4. Last Blade
3. Real Bout: Fatal Fury 2
2. Shock Troopers
1. Last Blade 2

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
10. Metal Slug X
9. Metal Slug
8. King of Fighters '97
7. Neo Turf Masters
6. King of Fighters '98
5. Samurai Spirits 4
4. Art of Fighting 3
3. Ninja Masters
2. Waku Waku 7
1. Last Blade

10- Samurai Shodown II
9- Pulstar
8- Samurai Shodown V Special
7- Metal Slug 3
6- Shock Troopers
5- The King of Fighters 98
4- Last Blade 2
3- Mark of the Wolves
2- Fatal Fury Special
1- Neo Geo Cup 98

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
10 Metal Slug
9 Garou Mark of the Wolves
8 Metal Slug X
7 Ninja Master's
6 The Last Blade
5 Art of Fighting 3
4 KOF 98
3 Baseball Stars 2
2 Metal Slug 3
1 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

neoflo

n00b
My TOP 10 NEOGEO Games:

10 Pts. Fatal Fury Real Bout Special
9Pts. Last Blade
8Pts. KOF 98
7Pts. KOF 95
6Pts. Pulstar
5Pts. Blazing Star
4Pts. Ninja Masters
3Pts. Metal Slug 3
2Pts. Samurai Shodown IV
1Pt. Big Tournament Golf

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Wasabi:
SSIII is a masterpiece. Its a amazing game that punishes stupidity in a brutal way. God, I love the gameplay in this one. Its my best competitive title of the series.

My list is:

1. FFS
2. SS2
3. GAROU MOTW.
4. FFRB
5. KOF 98.
6. KOF 2002.
7. SSIII.
8. Last Blade
9. KOF 95.
10. GAN GAN or kizuna

Last edited:

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Its cool seeing what everyone chooses as their top 10! :)

buster_broon

The Rock,
Why so much Garou mark of the worves love and no Windjammers love

the numbers are the points awarded

10. Windjammers
9. Neo Turfmasters
8. Samurai Shodown
7. Fatal Fury Special
6. King of Fighters 98
5. Art of Fighting
4. Spinmasters
3. Blazing Star
2. Metal Slug
1. Soccer Brawl

Goal! Goal! Goal! should get half a point

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Metal Slug X
9 Metal Slug 2
8 Blazing Star
7 Viewpoint
6 Garou MOTW
5 Neo Turf Masters
4 KOF 1998
3 KOF 2000
2 Sengoku 3
1 Fatal Fury Special

Edit: removed Strikers 1945+, was mvs only :-/

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
10: Last Resort

9: KOF 98

8: Garou: Mark of the Wolves

7: Samurai Shodown IV

6: Windjammers

5: Metal Slug X

4: Blazing Star

3: SNK Vs. Capcom

2: Samurai Shodown II

1: Baseball Stars 2

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Remember that this is an AES article, guys... a lot of you have listed MVS only titles.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
10: Garou: Mark of the Wolves

9: Samurai Shodown II

8: Metal Slug

7: Metal Slug 3

6: Blazing Star

5: Pulstar

4: Windjammers

3: Last Blade

2: Samurai Shodown IV

1: Soccer Brawl

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Heres mine:

oh wait, fuck that, I'm tired of writing retro gamers articles for them.

:cool:

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
hehe thanks joe I was about to post my top 10 in here. I don't think there really is a definive top 10 though, there's a few games that will appear in almost anyones list but obviously it's all personal preference.

http://www.neogeoforlife.com/viewpage.php?page_id=2

I mentioned Shock Troopers in my top 10, but I agree it really can't be left out of a Neo top 10.. I'm not sure what AES title I would replace it with if I had to...

Kaz

strider

duck duck goose
Heres mine:

oh wait, fuck that, I'm tired of writing retro gamers articles for them.

:cool:
Same old same old. You're criticised when you don't seek advice, then lambasted when you do. Good job I don't take the opinion of unknown forumites to heart.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
10 Samurai Shodown 4
9 Garou Mark of the Wolves
8 The Last Blade 2
7 SNK vs Capcom
6 The King of Fighters '96
5 The Last Blade
4 Samurai Shodown 5 Special unfixed
3 The King of Fighters 2002
2 The King of Fighters 2001
1 Samurai Shodown 3

I'd have liked to list a shooter or Metal Slug, but I only have ever used them as change-of-pace games. The stuff above I all played religiously at some point. And yes, I know that Samurai Shodown 2 is missing from the list... no matter how many times I force myself to play it, I don't get the same vibe from it most everyone else does. 4 is pretty much my 2.