Pls read if you own a 2slot(or above) + a SuperNova

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Ok, if you have the above combination, pls tell me if you have full stereo sound. What I mean is, if you go into the test screen (by booting up the MVS board with no game) and you enter to the sound test, do all your directions (left,right & center) sound loudly and clearly?

My right speaker sounds very faintly to the point that you cant hear it in gameplay (see prior post by me) and I am trying to figure out if its the JAMMA wiring on my supernova or if its my 2slot board.

Pls see this webpage about why I'm question 2slot users:
http://www.classicgaming.com/neotokens/hardware/2slot.html

Any replys to this would be a GREAT help.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I have a 2 slot that I used to use on a home made super gun. I had stereo sound just fine out of the headphone port. I never bothered wiring the jamma connections for stereo. Sorry this may not be much help...

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Are you sure the 2-slot does not output stereo through jamma by default? I have 2-slot connected to a super nova and I could have sworn I heard different sounds from the two channels.

bwi

20 Year Member
Are you sure you do not have the jamma wired for mono. Stereo uses the negative on the normal jamma harness. To get a proper negative you have to wire from a ground pin to the speaker-.

Hope that sort of makes sense

Bri

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Thats the thing, as far as I can tell, it is wired for stereo- I didnt make mine- MAS did.

Is there any way I can check? Wan-Fu, try out that startup screen I told you and check.

thanks for the tips guys. let me know.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
It was my understanding that the Neo Geo MVS boards never pass stereo through the jamma connection. That's why many Neo boards have a mono/stereo switch. And the operator manual explicitly tells you NOT to set the switch to stereo unless you are using the separate 4-pin connector (and not the jamma wiring for speakers).

Through jamma, you get mono only. To get stereo, you need to use the 4 pin stereo connector located on the Neo motherboard.

Thus, with a SuperNOVA, through the regular jamma connection, you'd get mono only.

Finally, the MVS mini 1-slot boards did away with all the "goodies", like the stereo connector, joystick ports, volume sliders, headphone jack. That's why they aren't as desirable for supergun users.

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
OKAY, CONFUSION ASIDE, I SUSPECT YOURS IS WIRED TO MONO ON THE JAMMA CONNECTOR.......

GET A SPEAKER, ATTACH 2 WIRES TO THE BACK OF THE SPEAKER AND TOUCH THEM TO "PIN 10" AND "PIN 2" WHILST YOU HAVE TEST SCREEN SET TO MAKING THE NOISE TONE FOR "RIGHT"

IF YOU STILL HEAR FAINT SOUND, TOUCH THE WIRES TO THE ADJACENT PIN OF "PIN 10" (THAT BEING "PIN J") WHILST STILL MAINTAINING THE TOUCHING TO "PIN 2".......

IF MY SUSPICIONS ARE CORRECT, EITHER PIN 10 OR PIN J WILL PLAY THE SOUND LOUDLY, WHEN GROUNDED AT PIN 2.......

AND MY BOARD IS A 2 SLOT, NO HEADPHONE JACK, BUT WITH CONTROLLER PORTS, HEADPHONE AND SPEAKER VOLUME (THE HELL HEADPHONE, THERES NO HEADPHONE JACK ON THE DAMN BOARD ;(

......SERIOUSLY, GIVE IT A TRY.......

DEVIL_GUI