metal slug 2 conversion....failed

takagisan

n00b
I'm sorry for those who were waiting this project but I met a lot of problem to do this conversion. I took samourai 3 as the SAC cart. After soldering all the metal slug 2 chips, after many jumpers settings, after soldering wire from C1, C2... to jumpers... the same thing: a lot of graphics bugs...
So I decided to give up this project for a while (I think I'll take a "bigger" SAC cart than samourai 3 the next time).
With this samourai 3 I'll make a NeoBomberman conversion. I think it should work, I'll send the project to tiptonium (thanx to him again for posting my conversions on his site :) ) the next week if all is OK.

sorry again and see u soon

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Damn, I was really hoping for this to work...

I guess slug 2 is just a bitch to convert, since I have never seen a working conversion of it...

Bad news man, but thanks a lot for trying and letting us know.

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
takagisan:
I'm sorry for those who were waiting this project but I met a lot of problem to do this conversion. I took samourai 3 as the SAC cart. After soldering all the metal slug 2 chips, after many jumpers settings, after soldering wire from C1, C2... to jumpers... the same thing: a lot of graphics bugs...
So I decided to give up this project for a while (I think I'll take a "bigger" SAC cart than samourai 3 the next time).
With this samourai 3 I'll make a NeoBomberman conversion. I think it should work, I'll send the project to tiptonium (thanx to him again for posting my conversions on his site :) ) the next week if all is OK.

sorry again and see u soon
-------------------------------------------------
I really dont understand what you mean with all this, Converting a Metal Slug 2 on a Samurai Shodown 3 is a piece of cake, watcha doing with this wires you described? This conversion doesn't even need wires. Just a simple jumper correction and it works.

LastResort

takagisan

n00b
I tried all what I could with jumpers: the sounds are ok but the graphics not and I verified all the soldering points.
I should take another sac cart or not??
Did you make this conversion lastresort? 'cause I really need help.

yes soldering wires it's strange :rolleyes: but that's I wanted to try before desoldered the metal slug 2 chips and make a neobomberman conversion instead.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
hey man just take another sac, theres shitloads of SS3's in the world eek!

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
Yes, i've made about any possible conversion of rare, expensive or hard to find games. If it's possible for you to take scans of the 2 boards, take them and post them here, or send them to me so i can see what you've done so far.

LastResort

HPMAN

UI resident
Mmmm... Initially SS3 CHA256 board isn't designed to handle MS2 64Mb chips.

Could be a workaround with some wires, never tried this anyway...

leGionellz

Hope you guys will find a solution to this, would love to do this conversion.

Good luck !

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
Yeah I want to do this conversion myself....

Anyluck with this Conversion yet?

What SAC cart would you use if FF3 is not compatible?

I'd like to buy MS2 for the homecart but its a hard one to track down.

Has anyone ever done a Metal Slug X Conversion btw?

<small>[ February 06, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Robert Wallace ]</small>

takagisan

n00b
hi,

HPMAN is right, metal slug 2 used 64mb chips, the cartwheretheC,M,S chips are,is a CHA512Y cart whereas the samourai 3 cart is a CH256RY.
So, those carts are not really "compatible" that's why I had a lot of graphics bugs and I tried to solder wiresto workaround the problem.
The sounds were OK. Indeed, metal 2 and samourai 3
used the same carts for the P and V chips (a PROGBK1).
I must buy a "bigger" game to convert metal slug 2 but bigger means more expensive so...I don't want to sacrify my king 98 or my Last blade.

Now, I think that I'll convert Neobomberman with a samourai 2 and with that samourai 3 , I don't know what to do for the moment.

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
Try Neo Geo cup 98, Kof 98,... something like these have the same boards as a Metal Slug 2
CHA 512 Y. Which will be alot easier and cleaner to convert a metal slug 2 on.

LastResort

takagisan

n00b
Thanx for your help lastresort
yes I think it would be easy to convert that metal 2 with a king 98 or neocup98 but those games are expensive in france and I haven't got the money for the moment to buy them as sac cart.
I have got a king 98 and I don't want to sacrify it...

I read that I can convert breakers revenge with a samourai 3, so I opened breakers revenge MVS and I saw that one of the cart is a CHA512Y. Can I really convert it with such game? IT's the same board than metal 2... eek_2

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
Yes you can convert Breakers Revenge with a Samurai Shodown 3. The roms are smaller from that game. Done it myself with a SS3 and FF3 carts.

LastResort

leGionellz

So, anyone would like to help me getting a slug 2 conversion done ?

I have a kof98 cart which I'm ready to use for this conversion (yeah, such a shame, but I just love slug 2...) Anyone has experiences, or tips ?

I know it can be done, since I saw a slug 2 conversion being sold on ebay about half a year ago. Unfortunately I don't remember the user name of this clever guy frown

takagisan

n00b
hi,

king 98 and metal 2 use the same board so it will be quiet easy to make this conversion with this SAC cart.
Just desolder all king 98 chips and solder metal 2 chips on King 98 boards (I think you know...)
But, maybe there will be a few jumpers settings to do: have a look on the MVS boards of metal 2 and note all the jumpers settings (J,JV,JB,JG,R...) and reproduce the jumper's configuration (of the MVS boards) to the king 98 boards where you soldered metal 2 chips.
Try on your neogeo. If it doesn't work, try new settings: solder/desolder a jumper...try...solder/desolder...try...ect until you get a good result. buttrock
It's my method but there's maybe other methods which are better...
good luck if you try, me, It will break my heart to sacrify my king 98... crying