Score Attack Challenge! (New High Score Idea)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
While it's fun to try and aim to beat the high scores on the High Score list (currently trying to increase my Zupapa! skills, myself), it's a bit static. So I think it'd be a cool idea to have a weekly contest where a few game challenges are listed and it's you're job to beat this goal. Now, here's what I was thinking for rules to participate.

1) Set up this topic (if people like the idea) as the place to register your initials. This way, instead of having to confirm over & over your identity, you can just confirm once at the beginning.

2) Game challenges will be announced weekly. There will be 3 sets of challenges and you may choose to compete for ANY of them. There will be 5 days to complete the challenges and then one day to submit. An example would be...

King of Fighters 2000 - Level 4 - Highest Score
Blazing Star - Level 8 - Highest Score
Metal Slug - Level 4 - Highest Score through Level 1

The idea here is to give some variety to each week's challenges and to mix the games up so that it gives more people each week a chance to win.

3) For each week's competition, a code word will be released which much be pictured with the screen showing the initial high score list (to show there are no pre-set scores to keep the competition fair.) Also, when the submission day comes, another code phrase will be released and THAT phrase will need to be in the picture with your registered name & initials. While this may seem like a little much, it's just in the interest of honesty & full disclosure and B) you're already taking a picture anyway, it's not that hard to do.

4) Record the winners of each week's contest into a WikiPage. Also, if there are volunteers with photoshop skills, I'd love to see some cool sigs for the winners or losers made. Part of the fun would be to have the winner display a sig and the lowest of the submissions to have a nice Blazing Star "YOU FAIL IT!" sig.

This is just a planning thread, so please, if there are any ideas you guys have to suggest with this idea, let me know. All reasonable ideas will be considered.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I like the idea, I'd be game to throw up my losing scores and nab some "FAIL" sigs!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I just want to confirm that these will be 1CC runs?

Phyeir

I just want to confirm that these will be 1CC runs?

Not all of them. The idea with this is that there will be varied challenges, so they may not all be 1CC runs. Some things will lend themselves to just being 1CC, while others could be to just have the highest score (like running through Metal Slug 3 or something). Doing it 1CC will lend itself to a higher score, but it won't be necessary for all.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Some things will lend themselves to just being 1CC, while others could be to just have the highest score (like running through Metal Slug 3 or something). Doing it 1CC will lend itself to a higher score, but it won't be necessary for all.

:spock:

Might as well just do one credit for every challenge. I don't see the point in allowing continues for any type of score challenge. Otherwise I think it's a cool idea.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
:spock:

Might as well just do one credit for every challenge. I don't see the point in allowing continues for any type of score challenge. Otherwise I think it's a cool idea.

I think it depends on what kind of challenge. Sure most would probably be good enough with a 1cc rule... but I could see there being some cool, creative challenges that wouldn't matter about continues and such. Like maybe a NTM challenge where you have to get a hole-in-1 on say hole X on course X (probably an earlier hole so you can try as many times as you can afford timewise that week)... maybe not the best idea, but something along those lines wouldn't require a 1cc rele.

Phyeir

Well, maybe it's the name, but I don't see all of the challenges being to reach a certain score, but as I said in the first thhread, maybe it's to play Metal Slug 1 Level 1 on L4 difficulty. The highest score from doing that level, would be that week's winner. See no reason to not also include some sort of 1CC challenges, though. It can be a mix each week, as I said.