Put a Hyper64 Rev2 board in my cab, now it won't run MVS

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I got a Hyper64 Revision 2 board today, and tried running it in both my dedicated Neo25 Candy (which normally has a 4-slot in it) and also in my other cab which was converted from JAMMA to Neo (and previously had a 2-slot board; it will be the permanent home of the Hyper64 mobo.) This whole time, the Hyper64 motherboard was set to run on a NeoGeo power supply (which is correct for both of my cabinets,) The sound was set to both stereo and mono in each cabinet.

My converted cabinet will still play every motherboard (hyper64 and both MVS motherboards) just fine.

However, the candy cab, after using the Hyper64 mother board, will not play an MVS mother board anymore. Instead, it gives a screen akin to a very dirty cartridge.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be here?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Hyper has a slightly thicker jamma/mvs edge so you might have a slightly loose harness. If you wiggle the harness near the edge the picture should clear up. Mine does the same.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
The Hyper has a slightly thicker jamma/mvs edge so you might have a slightly loose harness. If you wiggle the harness near the edge the picture should clear up. Mine does the same.
Hmmmm.... tried this. It isn't helping. I probably wasn't too clear about the problem initially; it's not that it looks like it's trying to play a game but very fuzzy or garbled; it's putting something up on the screen but it's basically unrecognizable.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Hmmmm.... tried this. It isn't helping. I probably wasn't too clear about the problem initially; it's not that it looks like it's trying to play a game but very fuzzy or garbled; it's putting something up on the screen but it's basically unrecognizable.

Provided that you've already cleaned the hell out of the cart and reseated it in several creative ways...

It's either your board or not your board.

Test your power (at the board) with a multimeter. Or you can use another PCB you don't care about in the cabinet to test it to make sure its working properly.

If everything else works fine in the cab, I'd say that either 1. Your board is shot or 2. Your board suddenly doesn't like the power its getting from the cabinet. I'd test your MVS board elsewhere to see if its OK.

If the MVS board works elsewhere, I'd say that the 5v might just not be exactly where the MVS board wants it. If you go adjusting it up, don't go too far.

No matter what, not too big a deal. Just replace whats broken.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas that I'm totally forgetting about.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
It's not the MVS boards; both my 2-slot and 4-slot board work in my older cabinet.

I've got a multimeter around here somewhere; I'll see how many volts it's actually delivering to the board.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
It's not the MVS boards; both my 2-slot and 4-slot board work in my older cabinet.

I've got a multimeter around here somewhere; I'll see how many volts it's actually delivering to the board.

Alright. If they're still working elsewhere I'm going to imagine that your converted cabinet is outputting a slightly higher voltage on your 5v line.

Perhaps the (probably) larger load of the Hyper 64 messed with your power supply a little bit. Also, with a new cabinet in a new place things could still be settling a bit.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This was my problem

I've had this happen(in the Neo25 Candy cab..
The pins in the harness bent upwards due thicker jamma edge..to whereas some would not make contact with my MVS board when I put it back in..

I had to find out which one wasn't making contact and bend it back down.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
The pins in the harness bent upwards due thicker jamma edge..to whereas some would not make contact with my MVS board when I put it back in..

Chris1 and XX seem to be making a pretty convincing case for this...

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Alright. If they're still working elsewhere I'm going to imagine that your converted cabinet is outputting a slightly higher voltage on your 5v line.

Perhaps the (probably) larger load of the Hyper 64 messed with your power supply a little bit. Also, with a new cabinet in a new place things could still be settling a bit.
You know, you're probably right. Also, I'd forgotten that I, unable to find the volume adjustment initially on the Hyper64 board, messed with a control called "v. adj" in my cabinet. Come to think of it, that was on the power supply... I feel like an idiot. I'd bet that you're right, and it's not putting out the proper amount of power.

Does the Hyper still work in the cab?
Yup. It's probably less sensitive to changes in power. Plus the thickness of the JAMMA connector, as you mentioned.

I've got a Neo25 as well, which ironically is the cab I'm having this problem in. If adjusting the voltage back to what it should be doesn't work, I'll look into this again. Thank you! :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Like said it could also be a voltage issue. Make sure you adjust it with the board hooked up. 5.15 should suffice.

Also snap some pics.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Chris1 and XX seem to be making a pretty convincing case for this...

Xian Xi is the best:buttrock:..I'm so glad that he posts here.. helping so many people..

I've learned so much from him..

mmsadda

10 Year Member
James, you hit it dead on. I actually had the voltage set too low. Thank you very much, man!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. :)