Man, talk about rotten luck!

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
As some of you may already know, I've been having problems with a 13 month old monitor. I took it in for service on Tuesday. I picked it up on the way home from work. I installed it in my cabinet and tried it out. It looked much better. The tech had replaced a bunch of capacitors. He was not sure if if would fix it but like I said the picture looked much better. It was on for about 2 minutes. I adjusted the brighness and position. I then switched off the cab. This monitor does not use an isolation transformer, it gets power direcly from an AC cord.

I put the glass back in place and closed up the cabinet fo a much neede game session.... then....

The cabinet would not turn back on. No sound from the jamma. No picture. I checked the fuses and they were both fine. I checked the power going into the power supply and it was reading an even 120volts. The power coming out of the power supply to the jamma harness read 0 volts for all outputs. no 5+. no 12+. The thing must have died when I switched off the power somehow. Was it its time to go? There was no warning. No pop. No fizz. Nadda. Man, what rotten luck. annoyed

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Tiptonium:
As some of you may already know, I've been having problems with a 13 month old monitor. I took it in for service on Tuesday. I picked it up on the way home from work. I installed it in my cabinet and tried it out. It looked much better. The tech had replaced a bunch of capacitors. He was not sure if if would fix it but like I said the picture looked much better. It was on for about 2 minutes. I adjusted the brighness and position. I then switched off the cab. This monitor does not use an isolation transformer, it gets power direcly from an AC cord.

I put the glass back in place and closed up the cabinet fo a much neede game session.... then....

The cabinet would not turn back on. No sound from the jamma. No picture. I checked the fuses and they were both fine. I checked the power going into the power supply and it was reading an even 120volts. The power coming out of the power supply to the jamma harness read 0 volts for all outputs. no 5+. no 12+. The thing must have died when I switched off the power somehow. Was it its time to go? There was no warning. No pop. No fizz. Nadda. Man, what rotten luck. annoyed
Ah, that sucks...

But the monitor is still OK,right?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
EVIL NICK:
Ah, that sucks...

The monitor should still be fine. It powers on. But since the PCB is not getting power it does not sow a picture of any kind. Grrrrrr....

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Tiptonium:
EVIL NICK:
Ah, that sucks...

The monitor should still be fine. It powers on. But since the PCB is not getting power it does not sow a picture of any kind. Grrrrrr....
It really sucks when you fix one thing and the next thing breaks right away... frown

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
EVIL NICK:
It really sucks when you fix one thing and the next thing breaks right away... :(
Yup, especially when I received several great MVS kits this week. Looks like I'll be out of commission for anther week or so. oh_no

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've had PSU go before and that is how they die... Usually it is while they are on the screen just goes black... and nothing can be seen... sometimes the screen is blue or purple, but it is all the same way... no warning, no sound, nothing... poof. Now, the PSU I have going in my candy is starting to cause interference... I was looking past it, but they say it is on its way out... guess this one is giving me a warning, but I never have had one do that before.

-Nick

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
yikes, that sux!! :( Hope you get it replaced soon! :)

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Tiptonium:
EVIL NICK:
It really sucks when you fix one thing and the next thing breaks right away... :(
Yup, especially when I received several great MVS kits this week. Looks like I'll be out of commission for anther week or so. oh_no
Tell me about it... I had several MVS games on the way when my cab's screen broke ( including SS3 )... oh_no

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
That really sucks Tiptonium,
You fix one thing and another thing goes bad.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chris1:
That really sucks Tiptonium,
You fix one thing and another thing goes bad.
One good thing though is that you narrowed it down to what has to be fixed and you know how to fix it.