megadrive problem?

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
hi guys,

ive just modded my md to play games at 60hz ntsc (it is pal),when i use an rf cable at 60 hz i get the full screen (no shitty borders) but its in black and white.

when i use a scart lead i get colour but it automaticly puts the borders(letter box effect) back on.

is the scart lead forcing it back in to 50 hz ?

any ideas how i can get round this ? cus i really want to play the games in colour and with a full screen (no shitty borders)

any help will be really appreciated.

(ive put 2 switches on the back 1 to toggle between 50/60 hz and the 2nd to switch between pal/ntsc)

thanks!

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Oh yeah, modding a Mega Drive to 60Hz is NICE, but it won't run in 60Hz with an RF cable. You get all kinds of wicked color problems. I don't know the mechanics behind it, but I know it happens. Probably the changed frequency makes the color encoder go out of synch or something.

It will work fine with an RGB lead anyway so no big deal. Don't use RF anyway man, it sucks.

Your next problem feels like you have an old TV that doesn't like 60Hz. Try another one.

If your TV is new and fancy it may switch from 4:3 to 16:9 (widescreen) as soon as you turn on the Megadrive when you run it on scart. Do you get full screen but garbled colors with the RF cable? If so, open up that scart cable and disable pin number 8. Doing that makes you have to change to the scart channel manually every time you want to play, but the 4:3/16:9 auto switching function should be disabled. Do you have a Sony TV by the way? Sounds like that..

Good luck man, and let us know how things turn out for future reference.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
it runs in 60hz with the rf cable but its in black and white.

the tv im using is a sony triniton so it should be ok with 60hz ,(ive used my neo on but come to think of it im pretty sure i had to change my tv settingsto 4:3 my self.

Nadanova

n00b
It entirely depends on the age of the TV, my Jap AES runs perfectly fine at 60hz on my CRT TV at home but if I take it into college and hook it up to a TV that is like 3-4 years older it displays in black and white.