Setting up Maximus 2.10 on my Astro City, Resolution Problem

Ichi

n00b
Well, I'm having trouble setting up the resolution on my Sega Astro City cabinet for Maximus Arcade 2.10.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any idea on how to fix it please let me know.

I just uploaded a video showing the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSTfKkH-06s

Maximus Arcade 2.10 Interface Options:
Interface Theme: Maximus Arcade
Resolution: 800 x 600
Bit-Depth: 32-bit
Change monitor resolution based on settings (Checked)
Convert Static Flash to Bitmap (Unchecked)
Mirror Display (Unchecked)

If you can help please let me know!

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
A. Leave Mame32 and get regular mame. MAME32 is a front-end for MAME so it's better if you just download the latest MAME and use that in conjunction w/ MA, and it will use less resources and your PC will run better.

B. Use 640x480 as your resolution in MaxArcade. When you do that, MA's screen will be 'jittery' just a bit and that's because the arcade monitor doesn't support that many lines of resolution (being 480 lines). Anyway, MA's screen will be slightly jittery but it's survivable because you aren't going to be spending all that much time in the front end anyway, you'll be playing games. Also, MA 2.10 supports 640x288 which is *better* than 640x480, and it might solve the jitter problem in MAs screens. 640x288 is the lowest rez that Maximus Arcade will support, it wont support the one you have in MAME32.

Now, there is another tool you can use called AVRes.exe, you can probably find it on Andy's site Ultimarc.com, and there is another one that is used by MAMEWah (a shitty FE if you ask me) called the MAME Resolution Tool. It will go in there and create ini files for all of the games you have and tell MAME (even though its controlled by MA) to run all of the games in the best resolution possible.

Ichi

n00b
Thank you for the quick reply and thorough explanation. I am using the latest verion of MAME. I was just using MAME32's settings as an example of the games working properly. I have MaxArcade running just regular MAME.

It actually does the same thing for 640x288... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the refresh rate.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Where did you go set the resolution? Were you able to set it while in MA, or did you edit a text file? I've noticed that sometimes when I go to edit resolution while in the preferences window, it won't save it. No idea why. You might have to edit the config file, which I think is in the preferences folder.

MA's got an ok support forum, so you might have some better luck posting this problem there. Sometimes they take a long time to answer a question but they do sometimes come up with a solution for stuff.

Ichi

n00b
Where did you go set the resolution? Were you able to set it while in MA, or did you edit a text file? I've noticed that sometimes when I go to edit resolution while in the preferences window, it won't save it. No idea why. You might have to edit the config file, which I think is in the preferences folder.

MA's got an ok support forum, so you might have some better luck posting this problem there. Sometimes they take a long time to answer a question but they do sometimes come up with a solution for stuff.

I actually booted up through MAME32UI instead of MAME and it works just fine now, thank you very much payment_due.