S-Video

gt6plus

Another Striker
20 Year Member
Is it possible to get S-Video out of the A/V out? Or would you need some kind of step-down converter? I know about the system mod and the XNEO, but is there another way? Maybe to build an XNEO???

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
afaik, no, not that i know of, but many people offer s-video mods, neogeo2k2, kenny boy, and jeff k. also arcade, i think theyre www.neogeousa.com, has instructions on doing it your self

C

Caris Nautilus

You have to tap S Video internally, the AV out does not have it, if it did, the S Video mod would not exist.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
The problem is that the 8 Pin DIN that exports video & audio is not "built" for S-Video. When a system is modded, you actually have to build a small circuit within the neo console that stems from the video chip. All the Xeno does is take the composite signal and convert it to a s-video plug! (I believe that's all this thing does.) I have done a couple of these mods and they are well worth it. The screen is FAR sharper, almost too sharp since you can now see the definition of the bitmaps (including the flaws of 72dpi) Also, the screen is much more vibrant/brighter/colorful. When you hook up a neo via composite, the screen & colors are washed out. When you switch to S-Video, You notice the difference immediately. You will definitely notice the inferior picture once you get used to playing in S-Video & have to switch back to AV.

Hope I was of help,

Kenny Boy (Kpj)

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yes. You can build an RGB->SVideo converter. That is what the XNEO is. However, you *will* get better results from an internal mod. The older Neo systems output a weaker RGB signal so the picture is darker than on new Neo systems (using the XNEO).

There are also some of those cheap Composite->SVideo adapters, but those only take the bad signal and change it so that you can hook to an SVid jack -- not as good as proper SVideo, but is decent if you're on a budget.

Jeff

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: JMKurtz ]

gt6plus

Another Striker
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the info guys!! I guess the best way is is the system mod!

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
Does anyone know what serial numbers the "good RGB" NEO GEOs start at, if it at all applies?