CPS2 security bolt

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
What is currently the best way to remove the CPS2 security bolt? A friend of mine is asking but I have yet to come across an A+B board set which has one intact.

Also, once removed I asume that there is no need to replace it?

Thanks.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I just used a socket to remove it, theres no point replacing it after either really. But you can if you like. comes out easily enough, its just removing the sticker mainly I think.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Actually it depends. If it is an original Capcom bolt with a "C" on top, you just need to use a pair of needle-nose pliers or pry it out with a small screwdriver. It's just pushed together not screwed. If they had been repaired by Capcom at some point they will have replaced it with a regular screw and bolt. In that case you would need to use a socket.

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
I have a small CPS2 related question as well...

How do you access the region setting on a phoenixed board???

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a small CPS2 related question as well...

How do you access the region setting on a phoenixed board???

As far as I know, you can't. Every region has a different chip set.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I remember that just means you can have the game phoenixed in another region. Meaning if yours is US and want a phoenixed version in JP.

I have 2 phoenixed boards, so if it is possible to change on the fly, I would like to know how.

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
Ah. Too bad. Although that is good to know if my MSHvsSF dies, I can get the Japan region and gain access to norimaru.

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
Holy Shit I found it!! Press the test button when the phoenix (capcom) logo is displayed. Playing Japan version Marvel Superheroes now!

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Just remember some games will have glitches if you change the region. Especially Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha.

The region will stay saved as long as you have the B-board attached to that particular A-board. If you swap a different B-board it will reset back to the default region and you will have to change it again next time you play that particular game.

It is also useful for freeplay. some regions don't have a freeplay option in the manager screen. Just flip it to a different region and viola. AVP is a good example of this. Also, the Japanese version of SSF2X is much easier than the US version if I remember correctly. There are other differences also (like several game titles).

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Just remember some games will have glitches if you change the region. Especially Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha.

A Japanese SF Zero 2 will crash frequently if you try to play in USA mode. At least my board does.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Just use a flat head screw driver to separate the two parts of the C bolt, its not made of Adamantium

Just to let you know raz phoenix files are not perfect, for example a blue alpha 2 which has been phoenixed with the U.S phoenix files will not let you access the evil ryu code

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Just had to deal with one of these bolts today. Glad I was smart enough to check the forums here first. Completed my first two keystone battery mods ever today (Blue Marvel Super Heroes and Green Super Street Fighter II) and several hours today I'm still up and running! :buttrock:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Just had to deal with one of these bolts today. Glad I was smart enough to check the forums here first. Completed my first two keystone battery mods ever today (Blue Marvel Super Heroes and Green Super Street Fighter II) and several hours today I'm still up and running! :buttrock:

Those keystone mods are not reliable due to marginal durability, countless people who I have sold non phoenixed board too who went this route on their own have had boards die on them magically weeks later.

bwi

20 Year Member
mine have been working flawlessly for the past 2 months. Though one did die after i did the mod, but i put that down to the random amount of time you have to replace the battery ( i did 4 boards at the same time)

Bri

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
mine have been working flawlessly for the past 2 months. Though one did die after i did the mod, but i put that down to the random amount of time you have to replace the battery ( i did 4 boards at the same time)

Bri

Tic Tock

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Easiest way to remove the damn 'C' bolt is to keep the bottom part held w/ a screwdriver and drill out the top. Never encountered an A board with one of these until now.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Easiest way to remove the damn 'C' bolt is to keep the bottom part held w/ a screwdriver and drill out the top. Never encountered an A board with one of these until now.

no, as people have already mentioned the c bolt is not threaded... it's simply pressed together and held there with friction. Use a simple pry bar to dislodge it. power tools definitely overkill.