Blast City Speaker Buzz

Well, shortly after getting my new control panel installed on my Blast City, I've gone and messed up the speakers.
When I turned on my cab this morning, I heard a buzz coming from the speakers instead of the game sound. I thought it might be the game, Strikers 1945, but the speakers buzz even if there isn't a game hooked up and the cabinet is on. When I turn the volume knob the buzz gets softer or louder.
Any ideas?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I have the same problem sometimes with MVS games. Is your Strikers 1945 the MVS version ? I know that there is some MVS to Jamma adapter arround. It suppose to avoid sound problems. It's like 20 bucks iirc.

Sorry I didn't specify, but this is a jamma pcb, not an mvs cart. Could it be an earth wire if there have been no changes made to the cab since it last worked correctly.

Also, on a sadder note...while trying to diagnose the problem, I heard a pop and all the sudden my monitor went out :(
I'm assuming that sound was a capacitor. I wonder if the two problems could be related.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Check for leak flyback or leak capitator on the chassi, this is another comon problem with the Blast City, especially on the flyback. Btw, you should ask this on arcade otaku, there's a bunch of smart and very knowledgable people on there who own Blast Citys as well.

There is no goop on the chassis at all. Also, I found that if I remove power from it for an hour and plug it back in the monitor makes a strange whirring noise and clicks.

When you guys mention a faulty ground or the earth wire, are you referring to the ground prong on the wall receptacle?

Thanks

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Id check to make sure there isnt anything wrong w/ the ground first...typical of speakers to hum, in my experience, when the ground is fucked

What is the best way to check for a faulty ground? Do I just use the continuity setting on my multimeter to make sure all the ground pins on the cab are connected?