TMNT 4player to 2player

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Does anyone have any information they can shoot my way about converting a 4 player TMNT to 2 player?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
swap rom chips then reset by holding the test button when booting after the swap.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Or have someone burn you the 2 roms. I know hobby roms does it.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Cool... I'll have to shoot them an email. Didn't want to have to take from another board.

Thanks Jamezzz.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If the ROMs are EPROMs and not mask, I'd be happy to burn the 2P ones for you. It's been awhile since I've done mine so I don't recall if I had to use new EPROMs or just erase the old ones and burn the 2P.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
If the ROMs are EPROMs and not mask, I'd be happy to burn the 2P ones for you. It's been awhile since I've done mine so I don't recall if I had to use new EPROMs or just erase the old ones and burn the 2P.

Hmmm yeah not sure...

But that would be awesome!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I can check on my board tomorrow...I thought they were EPROMs with like a metallic sticker covering them.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
4 eproms to swap apparently.

I definitely would prefer to get new ones burned rather than wiping the old ones... that way I can keep those 4P guys around to swap back in...

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's pretty simple to burn 'em from the MAME code. I can do it, Hobby ROMs can do it, and so can many other members here.

If you plan on getting in deep with various games I'd suggest picking up a cheap programmer and eraser.

RJ

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
It's pretty simple to burn 'em from the MAME code. I can do it, Hobby ROMs can do it, and so can many other members here.

If you plan on getting in deep with various games I'd suggest picking up a cheap programmer and eraser.

RJ

Thanks RJ...

How much does a basic setup cost and do you have any recommendations?

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
I was just gonna ask what the recommended setup would consist of / cost.

Ya, I agree - Get new eproms and save the orig ones.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Give me the #s off the top of the original EPROMs

Probably a set of 27C010 and 27C512 EPROMs but I need the numbers and the number after the dash to get the right speed chips. (And to get you the right price)

(27C010-15 for example)

Also, there isn't a 2 player US version... so it would be an Oceana version unless you really wanted the Japanese version for some reason.

RJ

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Cool... I'll check later this evening. Thanks.

How much does a basic burning setup to do these usually run?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's the cost of the EPROMs then $3.99 for the first chip and and $1.99 for each additional chip for programming fees.

RJ

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Ah... sorry... it all depends on what you want to burn.

Are you wanting to do newer games or old stuff with odd chips like Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man.

RJ

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I converted my Turtles in Time from 2-player to 4-player by re-burning the EPROMs using a Willem EPROM programmer.

The Simpsons I bought on ebay came with a set of 4-player ROMs and 2-player ROMs, and I've never used the 2-player ones.

You don't need to do this with the newer Konami boards. They have dip switches that let you change the number of players.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I converted my Turtles in Time from 2-player to 4-player by re-burning the EPROMs using a Willem EPROM programmer.

something like this guy: here

The Simpsons I bought on ebay came with a set of 4-player ROMs and 2-player ROMs, and I've never used the 2-player ones.

You don't need to do this with the newer Konami boards. They have dip switches that let you change the number of players.

Yeah I mean if the burner is cheap enough to justify having for a few jobs and then maybe doing for friends. The Simpsons is on my list to get... but still not sure what else at the moment that I would need/want to swap.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just remember, you need an ultraviolet EPROM eraser to go with it to blank them for reprogramming.

Also, get the Willem programmer that can also take an external power supply. Some of the older EPROMs take a lot of juice to reprogram.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
something like this guy: here
Yeah, that's the one. Just USB for power. I have a cheap Chinese UV eraser too.

Yeah I mean if the burner is cheap enough to justify having for a few jobs and then maybe doing for friends. The Simpsons is on my list to get... but still not sure what else at the moment that I would need/want to swap.
I bought it just for the one job, I guess, since I haven't really used it for anything since. I got the 2-player version because all the 4-players that had come up on ebay recently had sold for much more money, and I wanted to get into EPROM burning.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How easy are those things to use? And how much do the chips usually cost?