Metal Slug 6 for MVS

Fett

Camel Slug
I have a 100-in-1 cart with a copy of Metal Slug 6 and Metal Slug 6+, but they seem to really be super easy versions of MS3 (without the first level) where picking up a heavy machine gun makes you fat... It's weird, it even says metal slug 6 on the title screen, but rather than playing a demo of the game play it goes straight into the how-to-play screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MS6 only on the Atomiswave arcade board, and not MVS?

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
hack = boot . Plain and simple. There NEVER was a slug 6 for the Neo. That game is nothing more than a hack of slug 3.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Should stick to originals dude. I know its temting to purchase those carts, but there are always problems with them in the end.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There NEVER was a slug 6 for the Neo
There was never an official Slug 6 for the Neo, and even Metal Slug 5 was released on Neo before it was really finished. But they should have released Slug 6 on MVS rather than Atomiswave, or at the very least on both systems.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I agree, Slug 6 should have been released on the Neo instead of AW. The AW didn't really add anything to make it better. The Neo has so much potential still even though it's what 19 years old?

quoth09

War Room Troll
So true, and while part 5 didn't have much slow down at all, there definitely isn't any in part 6 on AW hardware.

I think it was just a smart decision at the time for SNK to switch to newer hardware, as it showed they are not stuck in the past on their old hardware and are willing to move forward, along with somewhat newer technologies. If they didn't, we would probably have seen KOF XI, XII, and NeoWave on MVS, and honestly after seeing XII on Type-X2, would you want to go back? Part of me in a way would say yes, but in the technical prowess and achievement graphically that they did on XII, I say no.

None the less, I don't think the game (MS6) would be fetching the price it still does now if it ended up on MVS hardware.

The MVS will always be a shining example of what can be done with ancient hardware when it is pushed to it's limits. The only other system or hardware I can really compare that to is the Naomi, which is still being supported 3rd party and still occasionally has games being released on it.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So true, and while part 5 didn't have much slow down at all, there definitely isn't any in part 6 on AW hardware.

I think it was just a smart decision at the time for SNK to switch to newer hardware, as it showed they are not stuck in the past on their old hardware and are willing to move forward, along with somewhat newer technologies. If they didn't, we would probably have seen KOF XI, XII, and NeoWave on MVS, and honestly after seeing XII on Type-X2, would you want to go back? Part of me in a way would say yes, but in the technical prowess and achievement graphically that they did on XII, I say no.
It was probably a good decision, but it definitely left fans who had invested a lot of money in the Neo AES out in the cold (and the MVS system was always widely distributed in arcades, long after SNK dropped making games for it). So u had all these arcade owners with working MVS hardware but no new games coming out for it, after SSVS there was nothing. They could have at least tried to keep the Neo alive to some extent, for example 1 game a year or something. They could have released SSV Perfect in 2005(the year after SSVS), for example. SNK could also release hardware/software for Neo heads to create their own software, for example based on templates for Metal Slug, other shooters (easy to make games) etc. Instead they've apparently kept the hardware documentation secret, why would the technical documents for the Neo Geo still have to be kept secret after all this time, it's not like SNK are still selling games for the Neo. Even though the system is so old, it's still a mysterious system, probably not many people in the world know completely how it works, or how to get the most out of it. It probably hasn't even been pushed to it's absolute limit- for example the biggest game was KOF2003 at 716Mbit(89.5Mb), and they could go up to at least 1000Mbit without loading times, and possibly even higher if u were willing to accept loading times on games.

For all the technical superiority the Atomiswave and Taito Type X2 have over the Neo, they've still never really replaced the MVS/AES. Instead of it being a straight arcade to home setup like u had with the AES/MVS, now they're back to translating games to home systems (like Neo games to PS2, adding loading times, and KOFXII to PC/X-box 360/PS3- toning down the graphics in the process(?). Maybe SNK has lost track of the whole arcade-straight-to-home concept. That's what some SNK fans want, arcade-perfect games, no matter what the cost, even if that means u keep the graphics the same as the arcade, rather than improving them.
Sometimes when programmers are making games, it might even help to have limitations graphics-wise, as it forces them to make gameplay better and make the best use of the graphical capability they do have (with the Neo). Like for example in music production, sometimes experienced people decide to limit themselves in what equipment or techniques they are going to use, even though they have access to all the latest equipment, they might still use a synthesizer they have from the 1980's. That way it forces them to be on top of their game, and they are using equipment they are more familiar with than the newer stuff.
The Neo has so much potential still even though it's what 19 years old?
I thought it was 20 years old, they first started developing it in 1988/1989.
The AW didn't really add anything to make it better
Yeah, MS6 looks a little strange as it has low-res graphics on a high res background(Metal Slug doesn't need high-res, in fact the forground sprites are better if they're low-res). Also it doesn't need shadows in the backgrounds. They could have easily gone on forever with the Metal Slug series on the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

Kickin' Wing

Armored Scrum Object
Releasing on AW made it Unbootlegged. Which as viewers of this sub-forum know very well, was a problem for Neo ;)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Instead of it being a straight arcade to home setup like u had with the AES/MVS, now they're back to translating games to home systems (like Neo games to PS2, adding loading times, and KOFXII to PC/X-box 360/PS3- toning down the graphics in the process(?). Maybe SNK has lost track of the whole arcade-straight-to-home concept.
Lost track? You make it sound like SNK simply lost their way and forgot. The "arcade-to-home" concept was never profitable. It simply makes no sense to revive it. The choices the company makes now are very deliberate. You make it sound like they're just too stupid to do what the fans want. The home console and arcade markets are very different now in terms of the limitations of the consoles. The consoles as they are today simply make practical sense. They could release a home version of the Type X2, for example, but it would offer few benefits to the majority of consumers, including most arcade fighting fans.

I would purchase a taito X2 home version in a heartbeat, it´s not even necessary for the company to allocate a lot of resurces, it´s just an OS disc and a list of supported hardware.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would purchase a taito X2 home version in a heartbeat, it´s not even necessary for the company to allocate a lot of resurces, it´s just an OS disc and a list of supported hardware.
Me too, but people like us here on this board are in the minority.

The fact that it's just PC hardware underscores the idea that a console directly based on arcade hardware would be unnecessary in today's climate. Hardware architecture isn't as unique as it was when it was simpler.

Last edited: