Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (video)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Looks better than I previously thought.

Liking the presentation and artwork.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Wow. It looks great and it looks like it plays well. I wish there were more of the classic characters (Sieger, Earthquake, Genan, Basara and Tam Tam) in the line up. Not too sure about most of the new characters and I'm not digging the fatalities (I don't think SamSho needs them).

Overall I'm really looking forward to picking this up.

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Maybe it will look better when it comes out. Right now the characters look like plastic.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Um, people here sound as if they saw gameplay for the first time, or is it because its first time in HD? Graphics & violence, and probably music too are nice, but thats about it, gameplay is pretty limited, no supers, no projectiles, almost no "special" special moves (that dont look like your average generic weapon swing), no good jumping game as well. Everyone also shares same generic throw as if it helps. Ukyo rules because in this game only juggles and sword reach matter; since he got fast long sword, other characters have low chances of approaching him as he spams horisontal slashes. The thing that probably stroke me the most is the wall juggle combos when opponent SLOWLY slides down the wall, pausing every time he receives one more juggle hit (like every half of second : slide-pause-slide-pause...), and by the time he reaches ground he usually got around 15 juggle hits...

I really want this game to become available to masses as soon as possible to see if people's feedback would be the same as feedback of every non-paid reviewer that I readed (and that said they were very very bored by gameplay)

Last edited:

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
Samurai Shodown Edge Of Destiny is definitely a must buy for me. This combined with KOF XII, is just the start of a fantastic new era for SNK, and it begins on the 360 in style.

R

Rama

I'm not a big fan of most 3d ventures of 2d classics, but I have to admit, those finishes look pretty nice, awesome gore. Here's hoping I can actually play it when the home release comes out

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Well, here's quick example: Mortal Kombat Deception had fantastic fatalities but bad gameplay, and since there is so much times you can view its 48 fatalities and 24 hara-kiri's without getting bored, its online died pretty quickly. Now Sen has only 5 finishers (Blood Spray, Horisontal split in half, Arm Slice, Decapitation, Impalation) shared between all the characters (and 0 unique finishers such as in SS4 and SS5sp for example), and I think its bigger mistake to base that game's marketing and advertisement on gore alone... I guarantee that you will get bored from watching these like 10 times faster than, for example, Mortal Kombat Deception's fatalities. Yes its good that gore is in, but that is the "default" setting for SS games that should be there without questions and without much applaud, especially if gameplay seriously lacks in variety.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The 3d looks iffy, but those 2d menus look awesome!

I will keep an open mind though. A new (and fun) Samurai Shodown game would be awesome

But cant the menu artists just do 2d sprites..please?

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
LOL "J"

Looks like dona dona from Way of the Samurai...

I'm excited about this game...but I don't think it's gonna be good.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
I personally have mixed thoughts about the new one since 3D versions of SNK-P's software have had mixed reviews in the past. I look forward to seeing the game in action though as I cannot give a fair review without playing the game first.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People here are talking like this is a new game. It's confusing.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
This is more than 1 year old game actually (to japanese arcade players), but still "new" to non-japanese players

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I played this in Sugamo last summer, and it blew.
Plays like a PS1-era 3D fighting game. Really spazzy, not tight in the least like an SS game is supposed to be. I liked a lot of the character designs, and the presentation was actually pretty cool...but the gameplay is just supermeh. Sorry y'all.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
This game stinks, guys. I was all over it when it first came out last year, but it just sucks. I expected something like Soul Calibur and the classic SS games combined, and had faith in the developer (K2, who has staff that worked on SS1 and SS2 and also did the PS2-era Tenchu games), but it turned out to be a stiff-playing 3D fighter that looks nice, but feels like a polygon game right out of 1995. And that is NOT a good thing.

I'll say this again, though. The game has great presentation and audio. It's just too bad it plays like crap.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Loopz and Lyte Edge, can you tell us which is the main characteristic of game? Like in SS2 it was introduction of supers, in SS3 the Shura/Rasetsu system and grades, in SS4 combos and issen, SS64 the overall concept of arenas and free movement etc. Which is the defining feature of this game?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I haven't heard good reviews from ng.com members who have played this game before. and quite honestly even looking at some battles it doesn't look very solid to me. I think the game would have been better had it borrowed more from soul calibur.

Other than that, it was a pretty disappointing E3 for fighters. I was expecting something new like a new game from Arc system works, Us release for 2k2 UM, or nest saga, anything. We all knew what games were gonna be shown and expected a few surprises, but no surprises came.

Paiku

Crazed MVS Addict
Yup, I don't see why people go excited.

It doesn't look or feel anything like a good samsho game.
First thought was.... KoF Maximum Impact once again:annoyed:

Black Shroud, you act like you had played the game already, but you havent even played one of the neo geo-titles on the real hardware. You're nothing more than a little romwhore. So back off, please.