AES Display problem on LCD screen

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Does anyone know why my AES displays this wierd bar across the top of the screen when the display is very bright? Like mostly all white. It does it during the Neo Geo logo when you 1st turn it on and also during games, like i said, when the screen gets bright from displaying lots of white.

I have the AES connected to an LG LCD via composite video. It only does this on this display. It does not have the bar on my Sony LCD. I also do not see it tube TVs, but tube TVs tend to have the upper and lower part of the display cut off out of view.

Here is an example from the Samurai Shodown intro when the picture fades in from white.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
The AES has a slightly off sync refresh rate and many LCDs don't like it. There really is nothing you can do except maybe try a Neo Bitz mod with Component video, which I recommend doing anyway to get the best video display from your system. At least with a Neo Bitz you will get 4 video options: original composite, improved composite, S-video and Component.

Also, why play Neo Geo on a LCD, it makes it look ugly. Especially in composite video, eishhh. Buying a nice Standard CRT TV is the best bet. I suggest a Sony WEGA Trinitron, which has all the video plug ins I mentioned above.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The neobitz and jrok do not alter the sync rate so you will still have the problem. You cantry and do a manual sync with your LCD by going into the service menu.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Thanks for the replies! I inspected the picture more on my very expensive SONY lcd and while it is hard to see the top of the screen can get wavy when the picture is bright. So, its not bad, but still some sort of issue.

I dug my old Commodore 1702 CRT out of the basement and hooked the AES up to that and the picture was perfect. I forgot how nice the display is on that little monitor.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Good ole Commodore monitors make great for gaming. I like how they use S-video via two RCA jacks, so you can use both composite and S-video.

Yeah, like Xian Xi said... the sync will still be the same even through the NeoBitz. Hell, to get my component video to work on my AES I had to add a low uf ceramic capacitor on the sync line for it to work on any TV with component. I thought it could be worth a try if you experimented with this, but most likely it will have a low chance of success. The AES is the least liked console by LCDs. Next in line is NES, other 8-bit and some 16-bit systems.

Also, I fixed some display problems on my parents LCD when visiting by upgrading the Bios with a USB thumb drive. It could be worth a shot and shouldn't hurt unless you pull the drive out of the TV while it updates. Just go to your manufacturer's website, download the drivers and there should be detailed instructions on doing the flash. Some HDTVs don't have the USB plug like the 2nd TV my parents have. Both are mid-quality Westinghouse HDTVs.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
So is there a vendor that sells an S-video cable?
Back in the 90s I made a high quality composite cable from the Radio Shack gold series cables.
I lost it though.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Just a standard S-video cable? A custom S-video for the commodore monitor, or S-video from your Neo Geo?

A custom S-video for the commodore you will most likely have to make. http://sta.c64.org/cbmsvideo.html
As for the other two you just use a regular S-video cable which you can get from any electronics store. The only way to get S-video out of the Neo Geo is to mod it.

If you don't mind modding your system, a Neo Bitz board installed to your system is a great option. It massively enhances the video output of the Neo Geo since it has one of the worst composite video outputs of all time (especially the early serial # models). You can buy the S-video/improved composite Neo Bitz or the Component/S-video/improved composite Neo Bitz. Look for JMKurtz who is also the tech support moderator on these forums. You could also get a J-rock board, but the Neo Bitz is more specifically designed for the Neo Geo.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So is there a vendor that sells an S-video cable?
Back in the 90s I made a high quality composite cable from the Radio Shack gold series cables.
I lost it though.

You would have to internally alter the AV port on the AES to output S-video from it. The Neo only outputs RGB and Composite via the AV port. Get a Neobitz.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I've been hooking my AES up to many different TVs over the past week and a it turns out I get this sync problem with some CRT screens as well.

I've been using a Commodore 1702 and the picture was rock solid and great looking. However that screen is way too small. So I purchased a 20" CRT to use instead. I was upset to find that the sync problem happened on this new CRT! Then I plugged the neo into 4 other crt screens through out the house and found it to have a problem with two of those as well. Long story short I found that if I run the composite through an old JVC VCR I had laying around the picture is solid on all screens.

I guess the question would be do I have this issue because my AES is a very early model?
I thought I read here that later models were changed for better composite output, at the cost of lousy RGB output.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My suggestion, because I sometimes have to work in PAL due to releasing video pieces in Europe, is to check the specs on any new television purchase to see what range they can sync to.

A tv that can sync from 55-60hz would be relatively optimal for a NTSC television. How many tv's do this? No clue. But studio monitors all have this feature, and I am sure a handful of tv's also allow this

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I know my next tv purchase, I am bringing my AES into the store and hooking it up. If it wont sync, I wont buy

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Thanks for the replies! I inspected the picture more on my very expensive SONY lcd and while it is hard to see the top of the screen can get wavy when the picture is bright. So, its not bad, but still some sort of issue.

I dug my old Commodore 1702 CRT out of the basement and hooked the AES up to that and the picture was perfect. I forgot how nice the display is on that little monitor.

Those commodore monitors are so crisp.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've been hooking my AES up to many different TVs over the past week and a it turns out I get this sync problem with some CRT screens as well.

I've been using a Commodore 1702 and the picture was rock solid and great looking. However that screen is way too small. So I purchased a 20" CRT to use instead. I was upset to find that the sync problem happened on this new CRT! Then I plugged the neo into 4 other crt screens through out the house and found it to have a problem with two of those as well. Long story short I found that if I run the composite through an old JVC VCR I had laying around the picture is solid on all screens.

I guess the question would be do I have this issue because my AES is a very early model?
I thought I read here that later models were changed for better composite output, at the cost of lousy RGB output.

All AESs have the same sync output. Only reason why it worked with the VCR is because VCRs have a special circuit that alters the sync pulse rate to correct the picture.

JuliusCaesar

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Interestingly sync problems show up also on the Wii when running Neo-Geo virtual console games over component video. Dose this also happen on the 360 as well?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Interestingly sync problems show up also on the Wii when running Neo-Geo virtual console games over component video. Dose this also happen on the 360 as well?

Nope, the 360 completely re-formats the output for HD.

That is odd that a CRT has sync issues with the Neo Geo. Might be one of the POTs (Little orange screws), bad composite connection, or a bad connection on one of the wires from the daughter board.

The early model systems have bad composite which suffers from rainbowing with shimmering (Hanzo's and Galford's arms on Samurai Shodown shows it the worst) and bad resolution. The newer systems have good composite, but with vertical lines using RGB or the regular S-video mega mod that has been used over the years. It is real easy to fix the vertical lines problem on new model systems thanks to MKL's trace cut post.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only version 3-6 had the vertical lines problem. Easy fix.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does anyone know why my AES displays this wierd bar across the top of the screen when the display is very bright? Like mostly all white. It does it during the Neo Geo logo when you 1st turn it on and also during games, like i said, when the screen gets bright from displaying lots of white.

I have the AES connected to an LG LCD via composite video. It only does this on this display. It does not have the bar on my Sony LCD. I also do not see it tube TVs, but tube TVs tend to have the upper and lower part of the display cut off out of view.

Here is an example from the Samurai Shodown intro when the picture fades in from white.

Which model LG is this?