Ichiro

New Challenger
Warning signs_

1.The label sucks and has the serial #s scratched off
2. Roms are not Toshiba Brand

Can you confirm my doubts?

1. So?
2. So?

I swear to god, people are starting to make up their own definitions of boots.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
1. So?
2. So?

smart aleck ;)

1. I appears the label was photo copied and the serial #'s blocked out to conceal possible bootlegging was my train of thought.

2. I thought Toshiba roms were a good indicator of authenticity.

What other criteria should I be taking into account

If not this is good news as this gives me hope that the cart is legit.

Last edited:

Ichiro

New Challenger
smart aleck

1. I appears the label was photo copied and the serial #'s blocked out to conceal possible bootlegging was my train of thought.

2. I thought Toshiba roms were a good indicator of authenticity.

What other criteria should I be taking into account

If not this is good news as this gives me hope that the cart is legit.

The serial numbers are scratched off because the operator who sold that cart didn't want it traced back to him. I don't know what the purpose would be of reprinting a label and then scratching the numbers off.

The chip doesn't have to say Toshiba. The number on the chip that matches up with the cart title in the master list is what you should be worried about and looking for. Except for Bust-a-Move.

See, search function is your friend. Enjoy the game.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Toshiba. The number on the chip that matches up with the cart title in the master list is what you should be worried about and looking for. Except for Bust-a-Move.

Sweet

Good to know

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
First off, that cartridge appears to me to be legit. The chips are almost certainly original chips, although they're not Toshiba.

Let me break the logic of this down for you.... Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, but it seems like there's a common misconception about chips' implications.
Toshiba chips are a good indicator of a legitimate cartridge, but not having Toshiba chips are not an indicator that signifies a cartridge is a boot.
If we make the logical argument "Toshiba chips implies a cartridge is not a bootleg," we can also make the converse argument "a bootleg cartridge does not have Toshiba chips."
We cannot, however, make the contrapositive or inverse arguments of "not having Toshiba chips implies a cartridge is a bootleg" or "if a cartrige is not a bootleg then it has Toshiba chips." Hopefully that makes sense to everyone reading.

For future reference, a fake label means nothing; its only purpose is to serve as a sign that a cartridge is worth opening up. A cart that appears to have a legit label with scratched serials likely has a legit label; the only fake labels I've ever seen that could be mistaken for legit was on SVC Chaos carts; both my hacked PLUS 2 version, and a bootleg also found in the "boot or no boot" section.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
All the chips are NGH serial, which is the MS3 NGH. Totally legit. My copy is the same, serials scratched off. I don't know why though, Metal Slug is the heaviest with scratched serials from what I've seen.

Golgoth-13

n00b
Hello there,

Digging out this topic... as it's about Metal Slug 3 carts.
Would there be somebody who knows about the different versions that exist for this game ??
I mean... The one that I own at this time is like that one (from MVS ID Site) :
Actually, it is very different from the one pictured on first post... that was obviously legit !

Is there something to expect from those different displays ?? Is it about revision of the game ????... is there different sets ?

And I'm wondering on this one :

Looks to be legit... nice looking and prog board seems labeled "SNK"... but there's only 4 roms (instead of 6) on the upper row.
Also... I wanted to focus on these strange things... those coloured areas... those red and yellow dots... They look very stange for me.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hello there,
And I'm wondering on this one :

Looks to be legit... nice looking and prog board seems labeled "SNK"... but there's only 4 roms (instead of 6) on the upper row.
Also... I wanted to focus on these strange things... those coloured areas... those red and yellow dots... They look very stange for me.

Hi

That board looks like my japan metal slug 3.

http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Metal_Slug_3

There is a daughter board on the prog board that takes up those 2 rom slots.

-ack

at the software side no difference.

the prog board on the first post doesn´t have a custom hardware lock chipset that was supposed to make the game only work at the real hardware and since it´s custom it would avoid piracy as well.

but it was reverse engineered in 2 months, i don´t remember if it was the emulation or bootlegers, anyway since the lock was broke it was useless so snk dropped the board as well since it increased manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
the daughter board are NGPC cartridge pbc with eeproms that snk had from the defunct game development for the handheld. They used it to cut costs.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I just got a copy of MS3 in a lot of 4 MVS games.

The 3 other MVS games in the lot all match the Neo Geo MVS Scans page and silk screened NGH #s match the NEO·GEO MASTER LIST page. But, I had to look here to find board scans that match the MS3 cart.

The MS3 boards look exactly like the board pics. up above in post #1.

The cat label is a Hologram, the seal #s are intact, the NGH# on the chips match, and the game plays fine.

If these MS3 boards are indeed legit MS3 boards, as suggested up above; then shouldn't theses pics be added to the Wiki Neo Geo MVS Scans page? :scratch:

Or, is there a problem with these MS3 boards that I don't know about yet. :scratch:

Thanks crew.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ack already has them on the MS3 page at the bottom, Set 2.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Ack already has them on the MS3 page at the bottom, Set 2.

Thanks Xian,

Hey, I must still be :conf: or something.

I just double checked MS3 Board Scans - Set 2 on WIKI.

It looks like both the MS3 Board Scans - Set 2 and the MS3 Board Scan set up above in post #1 have the same CHAFI0 board.

But, the PROGLBA board layouts look different to me. The MS3 board scan set on the WIKI has a vertical chip layout with a daughter card and the MS3 board scans up above in the thread has a horizontal chip layout and no daughter card. Both these PROGLBA boards have the correct NGH# on their chips.

Am I looking at the correct MS3 page? :scratch:

Thanks

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. If in any doubt, look at the soldering.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There are no windows on those roms and the NGH number is correct. A lot of legit carts have chips exactly like these. Only a noob would question the authenticity.