SNK vs Capcom boot?

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I got this game off eBay today. After opening it, I am almost sure it is a boot. The SNK logo is nowhere on the boards, plus one of the chips has a little window with a mirror inside. I heard both characteristics prove it is a boot. Am I right?

No wonder the seller said he didn't see the SNK logos on the boards and refused to open the cartridge before he sold it. Should I ask for a refund or am I screwed?

http://www.althena.com/images/IMG_9238.jpg

http://www.althena.com/images/IMG_9240.jpg

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
needs a good cleaning, thats for sure

boot or not? I dunno...someone else more knowledgable can answer

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Yep 100% pure bootness. If it was purchased on ebay and paid for via paypal I would file a dispute if the seller doesn't issue a refund.

If you ever have any questions about whether or not a cart may be a boot don't hesitate to ask.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Bootarific... was it listed as working condition? Cuz that's usually (not always) a bad sign.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
Sometimes it plays well, sometimes it has a very low resolution (like the NES), and sometimes it has no sound.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If you ever get a game w/out SNK boards and without SNK chips, it's a boot.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I wouldn't have bought that based on the outside. The four last games for the Neo that have that blue label came strictly in black cases. At least try to get a refund.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Absolutely a bootleg; as bootylicious as any cart I've ever seen.

Warning signs:
-That color label on that case isn't normal, as NeoAlec said
-Boards aren't SNK
-not only that, but the chips are arranged differently from any normal SNK board
-Chips aren't Toshiba
-There's an EPROM (not always a surefire sign)
-Pencil writing on the chips. No one ever mentions it... but SNK didn't put pencil marks on their chips, I've never seen anyone write in pencil on legit chips, and all but 1 hack/boot I've ever owned has had pencil writing. Obviously this can theoretically mean nothing, but if I avoided all carts with pencil writing on them, I'd have bought all my legit carts, and would have avoided all but one hack/boot.

What you can do:
Contact seller and tell him the cartridge is a bootleg and you want to return it for a full refund.
If he says no, inform him that it's illegal to sell these bootleg cartridges. It's even worse that he tried to represent it as an original (I'm gathering from how your post sounded.)
Threaten to do one or more of the following: open a paypal dispute, leave negative feedback, and/or contact eBay to let them know he is selling illegal bootlegs.
If he still won't give you a refund, do all of the things I mentioned threatening to do.

-Collin

Drakon

New Challenger
wow, that's more bootleg than the cart I purchased NOT from ebay KNOWING my cart was going to be a bootleg (it was in the non authentic section)

for ebay I recommend buying from people who list it as "100% authentic". That way they have no excuse if it turns out to be a bootleg

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How can something be more bootleg? It's either a legit cart or not. That's like saying a counterfeit dollar is more counterfeit than another. Drakon is good for some LOLz.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How can something be more bootleg? It's either a legit cart or not. That's like saying a counterfeit dollar is more counterfeit than another. Drakon is good for some LOLz.
I think there can be different degrees. Like if the boards are legit but it's been converted to a different game. That at least has some real parts in it. The really well-made bootlegs are completely custom, and I'd say those are more bootylicious. But you're right, either way it's still not real. At least with the legit boards maybe someone could make a Ghostlop cart or something.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
wow! I didn't even know that this was a big problem. I've purchased a bunch of mvs carts off ebay. I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Checking them for authenticity. Thank you very much for the info