Looking for parts(15 pin connector)

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
So just as I think I'm good to go with my 6 player x-men I'm not. I thought I bought the right 15 pin connectors for the extra 4 players, but I was wrong. I bought some 2.54mm pitch connectors...it really needs 2.5mm connectors which I'm having a hell of a time finding.

I've tried mouser and digikey, and either they don't have them or you have to special order in large quantities.

I'm looking for either the JST part #B15P-SHF-1AA

or the Molex part #22-01-1152

They're 15 pin rectangular connectors 2.5mm pitch.

Any one know of any other good sites to check?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Good luck on the Molex part...

"No Distributor stock found at this time"

Newark has the part # but shows 0 in stock. But, it does have a low minimum order qty - 1.

For the JST part, find a distributor here...

http://www.jst.com/home5.html

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
Its easy man, just do a sample request from JST. I did for some connectors to do a CP on a Neo Candy and they hooked it up super fast.

http://www.jst.com/home10.html

Go there and fill out a sample request form. Its the same form used to order catalogs - Its kind of clunky interface, but if you know the part number, as you do, then it should not be to hard.

You want to be sure and request the connectors as well as a bunch of terminals to populate the connectors. For example in my sample request - I requested:

Qty:4
YLP-12V

Qty:50
SYF-01T-P0.5

They got them to me in like 4 days, and emailed me along the way. JST is good people

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys!.

Yeah I was looking a bit more at the JST site and they even have huge min order quantities.
Well for the connectors I want it was like 250 at something like 20 cents a piece. I would have gone for that since that costs about as much as 4 harnesses, lol. It's the shipping that kills though.

I never thought about trying out samples, since it's more of a hobby thing and I'm not part of a company. I figured they'd just ignore me, lol.

I'd much rather make the harnesses myself than have to buy em ;)

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
What should you put for a Company name if you're really only doing this for a hobby?
Do they care that much?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Good luck. I just bought a genuine harness from an old cab off ebay. Then I got some more with the full harness set that came with my Punk Shot board, and I used those for something else. Hopefully I'm not destroying anything that was going to end up used again in a cab someday.

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
I think I Put "Home Arcade" as the company name
It was a required field, so I was trying to think of some bullshit that sounded legit...

Guess Home Arcade sounds legit enough, if that helps any
:D

It was such a small sample request, I did not think they would have a problem filling it. I even mistyped the connector part # and the sales rep for my district sends me a nice email and asks if I meant a part # close to what I gave. Also, let me know when it has shipped - alot of effort for free.:D

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I'm looking for either the JST part #B15P-SHF-1AA

That's the part on the PCB, a 15-pin straight header. What you need to make a harness is H15P-SHF-AA (housing) and enough of SHF-001T-0.8BS (contacts).

Any one know of any other good sites to check?

RS-components carries all parts of the NH connector family and minimum qty is 10. That's where I get my JST parts from but I don't think you have RS in the US.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't it the same connector as the Neo Geo Credit LED's (or maybe the Memory Card Reader)?

I have a set of Konami Connectors wired to a DB-15.

I took the aforementioned (double ended) connector and cut it in half.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's the part on the PCB, a 15-pin straight header. What you need to make a harness is H15P-SHF-AA (housing) and enough of SHF-001T-0.8BS (contacts).

RS-components carries all parts of the NH connector family and minimum qty is 10. That's where I get my JST parts from but I don't think you have RS in the US.

Good catch MKL!! I totally overlooked the fact that that would be the part number for the pin header! Good thing I procrastinate!

Yeah I can't find anyplace that stocks JST stuff in the US. It looks like the RS online of Italy has them, but even the UK site doesn't. Most of the other international RS site seem to have them on backorder.

Looking at the RS site I can get 250 of the housings at about 10 cents a piece, and I can get 5000 contacts at 1 cent a piece, lol. I could swing that, but then I found some other connectors that look like they would be good for power: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=136
I think when I last looked, those would get on the expensive side for such high quantities.
At least then I'd get free shipping I believe.

I'll keep looking around!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Isn't it the same connector as the Neo Geo Credit LED's?

Same connector type but only 13 ways.

Yeah I can't find anyplace that stocks JST stuff in the US. It looks like the RS online of Italy has them, but even the UK site doesn't. Most of the other international RS site seem to have them on backorder.

I know, go figure why. If nothing works out for you I have 14-pin housings that would work once the plastic on one side is trimmed. 14-pin is enough since the last two pins on the PCB header are grounds according to the manual.

As for the contacts, you can get them from digikey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=455-1121-1-ND

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
[/url]

Ohh yeah... I remember now...

On my supergun, I just used Connectors 3-15 and put it on Free Play.

If I were to put it in a Cab, One would only need Connectors 1-13.

Just an idea.

1 COIN
2 ----
3 LEFT
4 RIGHT
5 UP
6 DOWN
7 PUSH 1
8 PUSH 2
9 ----
0 ----
1 ----
2 ----
3 ----
4 ----
5 GND

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I don't know about the part number stuff and have been out of this for a while now, but if you have a picture I can look through my spare connectors this weekend and maybe stop by my local parts store. HSC.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Ohh yeah... I remember now...

On my supergun, I just used Connectors 3-15 and put it on Free Play.

If I were to put it in a Cab, One would only need Connectors 1-13.

Just an idea.

Yes (you'd need to trim both sides of the housing) but 13-pin housings aren't easier to find than 15-pin ones and MVS LED harnesses aren't that common or cheap, I think. SNK rotary sticks use the same 13-pin harness but that must be pretty rare also.

1 COIN
2 ----
3 LEFT
4 RIGHT
5 UP
6 DOWN
7 PUSH 1
8 PUSH 2
9 ----
0 ----
1 ----
2 ----
3 ----
4 ----
5 GND

I was wondering, even with freeplay you still need to start a game but I don't see a start pin. I checked the X-men manual and on p.5 there is the same pinout you posted (without start) but on the diagram on p.12 it shows start is on pin 10. Is it needed or not?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes (you'd need to trim both sides of the housing) but 13-pin housings aren't easier to find than 15-pin ones and MVS LED harnesses aren't that common or cheap, I think. SNK rotary sticks use the same 13-pin harness but that must be pretty rare also.

I was wondering, even with freeplay you still need to start a game but I don't see a start pin. I checked the X-men manual and on p.5 there is the same pinout you posted (without start) but on the diagram on p.12 it shows start is on pin 10. Is it needed or not?

I dunno... I just pulled it off of the pinouts section of crazy kong...

I only used the 13Pin with TMNT and Captain America...

IIRC: those two games did not have a start button. Not sure about xmen.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Some Konami games, including Turtles in Time, don't have a free play mode on the four-player version. Keep that in mind. I wired my Neo sticks for the select button to add coins. Everyone I play with is so used to it, they wish the player 1&2 controllers could add coins with select.

X-Men has the start button. Simpsons has an option to toggle the start button with/without, but it works to just hit the attack buttons regardless of which setting you choose.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Some Konami games, including Turtles in Time, don't have a free play mode on the four-player version. Keep that in mind. I wired my Neo sticks for the select button to add coins. Everyone I play with is so used to it, they wish the player 1&2 controllers could add coins with select.

X-Men has the start button. Simpsons has an option to toggle the start button with/without, but it works to just hit the attack buttons regardless of which setting you choose.

My X-men doesn't have a free play mode either. I ended up putting the coin wire and another ground on my jamma harness and just touching them to coin up the game, lol. Eventually I'll tie the select button of my sticks to coins for that.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Give Farnell a try if they are in the US.

Doesn't look like they stock them, but its always good to have another resource!

I know, go figure why. If nothing works out for you I have 14-pin housings that would work once the plastic on one side is trimmed. 14-pin is enough since the last two pins on the PCB header are grounds according to the manual.

As for the contacts, you can get them from digikey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=455-1121-1-ND

That's nice digikey at least has the contacts! Too bad they don't seem to stock the housings.
I think there was an estimate of September to get 200 of em.

I don't know about the part number stuff and have been out of this for a while now, but if you have a picture I can look through my spare connectors this weekend and maybe stop by my local parts store. HSC.

This is the best I can do for a picture: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=182
It's a 15 pin housing. They key is they're 2.5mm pitch as opposed to 2.54mm. I'd be in good shape if they had chosen 2.54mm!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My X-men doesn't have a free play mode either. I ended up putting the coin wire and another ground on my jamma harness and just touching them to coin up the game, lol. Eventually I'll tie the select button of my sticks to coins for that.
Mine get played so much by big groups of guests around the holidays, that would never do.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
This is the best I can do for a picture: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=182

It's a 15 pin housing. They key is they're 2.5mm pitch as opposed to 2.54mm. I'd be in good shape if they had chosen 2.54mm!

I only have an H JST 18 hole in my spares w/ pins, I don't know what mm they are. My parts store has ones like the little blue one in the picture that I can get in 15 pin. Again, not sure about the mm...but they may have different sizes at HSC. I have used these for many harnesses and projects.

0515090643.jpg

If you think it might work for what you want, I can pick a couple up after work and toss them in the mail.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I'll try to stop by tomorrow and check it out. I'll grab some stuff and mail it out if you want to pm me your address. No promises on it working, but hey, it's free.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
That'd be cool if you could check it out. Maybe someone at the store could tell you the pitch, or give you a part number to look up some specs on.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'll take samples for the win!
I filled out a sample request and got my parts!

Even wired up a connector and gave it a shot and it works great! At least now I can play the other players.

Crimping those tiny connectors really sucked though.

Thanks for all the help everyone!