The AES serial numbers

masarripa

n00b
i've read everywhere and saw some comparisons about how the old AES looks better than the newer ones, but i cant seem to find if that can be repaired so to speak.

im planning on doing the s-video, composite, component mod to my AES but i want to know first if that would actually help eliminate the problem of the late serial numbers.

so would that fix the image? or would it still suck but look a little better..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You know whats weird is that MVS is the total opposite, the newer boards have much better color and definition than the older MVS boards. Out of the all the MVS boards I have owned the MV-1C has the best color and definition.

As far as AES goes it doesn't really matter unless you plan to use straight RGB honestly.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also the striping in the pictures on certain revisions were supposedly caused by the RGB traces running under the system clock or something. There is a fix to that if it bothers you.

masarripa

n00b
haha i actually made this post based on what i read on that page xian xi

so it doesnt really matter cause the mod will bypass that shitty rgb output huh?

thank God for that i was starting to get al stressed thinking i should have bought an earlier serial. i guess its only a matter if you are a serious collector that want to have the best unmodded console =p

thanks ;)

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Maybe I'm being thick... but isn't composite derived off the RGB?
Or is it generated separately...?

How would you have C grade RGB but A composite?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The composite comes from the on board sony encoder. The composite output was a little dim on some consoles so SNK decided to increase the output to look better on the composite.

And yes since you will be using a different encoder with your upgrade it won't really matter. I have owned about 9 AES consoles now and never really paid attention to the "differences" because I was being kicked in the face by Kim.

masarripa

n00b
im not an expert and maybe my logic isnt really true :P but i think its because the RGB its good, the output its the one thats all crappy. i guess im trying to say that the RGB that flows through the resistors is ok, but when it finally gets to the output it gets bad because of the bad quality of the output

but im not sure as i said im no expert

maybe im totally wrong :oh_no:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How would you have C grade RGB but A composite?

The RGB output on later consoles were over saturated to increase the quality of the composite output. In the US this was fine but in EU it was more obvious that a change was made if they use RGB instead of composite.

IIRC you can always do the RGB bypass to remedy the situation for RGB users.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
The RGB output on later consoles were over saturated to increase the quality of the composite output. In the US this was fine but in EU it was more obvious that a change was made if they use RGB instead of composite.

IIRC you can always do the RGB bypass to remedy the situation for RGB users.

But if you are tapping before that for say the neobitz you are avoiding those degradation spots?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I would assume so but I am not sure exactly where in the circuit they made changes. I know RJ or MKL would know for certain.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
As far as AES goes it doesn't really matter unless you plan to use straight RGB honestly.
The serial no. can also matter if u are using an external video converter (instead of modding the system). For example an RGB->yuv(component) converter, RGB->s-video etc. Output quality of the converter will depend on the quality of the RGB you put into it.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
The serial no. can also matter if u are using an external video converter (instead of modding the system). For example an RGB->yuv(component) converter, RGB->s-video etc. Output quality of the converter will depend on the quality of the RGB you put into it.

Of course it will Capt. Obvious. :oh_no:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
maybe my previous post was getting a bit technical- differences in quality between different serials may not always be noticable on the monitor(when put through a converter).
However the difference between direct RGB and an unmodded AES are significant enough to be worth modding the AES. I have an MVS as well as an AES, and the component video converted from the AES RGB is definitely worse than the MVS system (which is true RGB, also converted though the RGB->yuv converter). Maybe the difference is not as much on an RGB-> s-video converter, but as far as a RGB->yuv converter goes, yuv is very similar in quality to RGB, so the difference is obvious to me when comparing both systems on my component monitor.
I thought MVS had true RGB, but from what Xian Xi was saying, it varies in color and definition between revisions of MVS boards.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
well i don't actually own an RGB CRT monitor that I can use to compare it to the component output of the same system.
so have u actually compared the two outputs (you own both RGB and component CRT's)?
the variables would also have to be kept the same, to compare them.
the monitor I have is small anyway (34cm), so the differences between RGB and yuv would be more noticeable on a bigger and higher quality screen.
Technically, RGB has more color detail than yuv, but the missing color detail of yuv is supposed to be the part of the color spectrum the human eye can't detect. Maybe that depends on the yuv encoding being done correctly.
To get a decent sized RGB tv studio monitor I'd have to either have to be lucky enough to pick up one locally from ebay, or a seller willing to ship a decent-sized one interstate, or an arcade monitor from interstate or overseas (they are not as heavy to ship as similar-sized TV's, so i could get one and then just encase it with fibreboard or something).

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have on my friend Josh's sony monitor. It takes RGB and component inputs as well as others.

On RGB you can see that it does have a lot more color bandwidth than component. They are not similar, component is definitely a downgrade from RGB.

But you are missing the point. The point was, if your picture is clear and is nice and vivid in color what should it matter while you are playing? I don't think you will have time to even notice a small difference between revisions while playing a game.

Of course if you want to sit there and stare at your Neo on pause then that's all you. I prefer to play my Neo rather than stare at it and wonder if I can get an even sharper or less saturated picture if I get a different serial number.

Truth is, if you are a purist and are playing your Neo via the composite cable with mono sound then you're a purist but an idiot. SNK brought the arcade home but not as it should have been, unless the arcades you went to had MVS games via composite on the monitors. This is why people upgrade the video output on their Neo.

To each his own.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Truth is, if you are a purist and are playing your Neo via the composite cable with mono sound then you're a purist but an idiot. SNK brought the arcade home but not as it should have been, unless the arcades you went to had MVS games via composite on the monitors. This is why people upgrade the video output on their Neo.

To each his own.

XNEO all the way

You can keep your AES stock while still getting a great picture and stereo sound. Yeah, it's an expensive and unnecessary piece of hardware, but this is the Neo we're talking about.

If I got a new AES I'd buy one already modded though.