Someone please fix my AWSD.

hedorah

New Challenger
O.K.

I am having continuing problems with my Atomiswave Candy Cab.

Whenever I hook up any Jamma Board, the 12volt fluctuates wildly. Reading the multimeter it seems to be jumping from around +3V to +12V. No matter how much I adjust the pot I cannot get the power to remain consistent.. with a Jamma board plugged in that is. However, with no board plugged in, it acts fine and I can adjust to 12 on the dot. But whenever a pcb gets plugged in... it starts going crazy. I tried a different wall outlet and even routing the it through a power conditioner. No luck.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. I do not think its the PSU because I had this exact problem previously, ordered a new PSU from Taito Tech, installed it, and still the same exact problem.

Video output is fine, but since the 12volt powers the sound, I get no consistent audio...it just skips constantly. Unhooking the Speakers does not fix it either.

Anybody have any ideas what can be causing the 12volt to be freaking out? Or anyone local to S.F. that I can pay to come fix it for me?

This is my first candy cab, and its quickly turning into what should have been a happy experience into a completely depressing one. :crying:

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
That's a truly bizarre problem you have there.

The fluctuation makes me think there's a broken wire or damaged component someone in the cab that's just barely making a connection.

Just my two cents... Take it as you will.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sounds like the electro smothing cap on the 12 volt rail on the psu may be faulty. You may notice it is bloated ? The 12 volts is not as critical as the 5 (12 volts only supplies the audio output stage)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you have another PSU swap it out and see if the problem still remains.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Guys, this is a brand new wei-ya P271 PSU he ordered from taitotech because the original 271 was doing the same thing.

I have these cabs too and its 95% probably the power supply. sucks. even if it is new I still think its the PSU.

hedorah

New Challenger
Being able to at least narrow down the problem that it is / is not the PSU would really help me track down this problem.

So if anyone local to SF Bay area with an AWSD want to let me come over with the PSU and a couple of PCB boards and test out on your cab? I will pay you! (and do all the work) So pm your buddies local to me who want free money. :)

grantspain

Crazed MVS Addict
maybe you have something else drawing on the +12 in the cab-i.e a sound amp,coin lights,credit board?anything causing a short in the +12 would cause that sort of problem

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the previous PSU did the same thing then you know it's not the PSU. Check the +12v connections, like grant said check all the +12v connections in the cab.

hedorah

New Challenger
Thanks Grant and Xian, I will try your suggestions.

Is there a resource you guys can point me to that shows everything the 12volt powers? Or should I just follow the leads from the PSU? Also Is there anything in the monitor that powers off the 12 volt? I would rather not poke around in there if I don't have to.

Where exactly is the sound amp? I have been wondering about that. In my ignorance I thought they were generally on the jamma pcb board itself.

I have no coin lights, or credit board. I already unhooked the speakers. I guess I will try the marquee light next.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
There is no built in sound amp., I can't think of anything other than maybe the header lamp?

Its a common problem with the AWSD and it'd be amazing if it was something other than the PSU, after all you have a brand new one :(

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
There is no built in sound amp., I can't think of anything other than maybe the header lamp?

Its a common problem with the AWSD and it'd be amazing if it was something other than the PSU, after all you have a brand new one :(

Header Lamp would be AC 120/240 no?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also when you test with a board are you trying more than 1 board? If not I suggest you try 2 different boards just in case it's the jamma board you've been using.

hedorah

New Challenger
Yah I have tested this on a couple of different boards. Same result.

I think I am going to take a break from this for a few days. I am making absolutely no progress and my morale for fixing it is pretty low.

Instead I think I am going to wire up my DC and or 360 to the cab and at least get some use out of it.

Which begs a different question. If I am using a 360 / DC connected directly to the VGA out and Control Panel, how unsafe is it to have the PSU on but not powering any Jamma pcb board? Should I always have the Jamma harness hooked up to a board regardless, even if I am playing DC or 360 through the cab?

TOXiC

n00b
Faulty PSU. 100% Sure.

Wei-Ya psu are pure Crap. I've already had several brand new in the box P-271 that were doing exactly the same. There is no way around this exepted than installing a new one.

Dont waste your time (and money) to send it back to taitotech for expertise. They will test it with no load and tell you its 100% working.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
He solved this with a stepdown, but yeah the P271 is a JOKE

I wish there was a slot in replacement but I ended up hacking one of my AWSD's with a normal JAMMA PSU, cheap, works and is easily replacable.

grantspain

Crazed MVS Addict
this is a problem we saw with alot of e3 and awsd cabs at the IC09 show,we could stop it by turning down the pcb volume and use the cab volume but some were worse than others
in essence these psu are really a load of david beckham-hack em out and put a real one in
how taito and sammy actually allowed this rubbish on their cabs is beyond me

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Agreed man, they are total shit, my cab takes a while to get sound , like a couple minutes , if you measure it with a multimeter you can watch the 12V all over the place, horrible horrible PSU's.