Dreamcast Agetec stick to pc MOD INSTRUCTIONS

sat985

Quiz Detective
The other day I modded my agetec stick but differently than amano's. I did it for pc use. Spliced off the wires before they

went to the 2 connectors that hookup to the sega maple bus pcb. So i can still use it for my dc if i want.

Parts:

1 Agetec DC arcade stick

1 spare db15 off a pc joystick-cheap thing only had 10wires in it lol

1 pelican dual shock psx controller

1 sony non dual shock psx controller

1 roll of electrical tape

1 set of cutters

1 db25 connector

1 pimp ass solderin iron

Well first I traced the wires from the 6buttons+start to see what they were

black wire thats daisy chained to em all is ground. before it go's off to the 8wire connector that plugs into the maple bus,

it is on a seperate wire. grey.

then there is the stick, 5wire connector going to the maple bus.

black is ground, others I traced using simple logic.

spliced the wires off bout half way before they got to their respective connectors. taped a sort of extension to each of em

with electrical tape.

so now we have 13 wires.

after taking apart the pelican controller which I had already modded the connector to a db25 a few months back. I traced the

leads to gold contacts for each button. Soldered the wires to the leads. Watch where the ground go though. On each of the

shoulder pcb's there is a ground wired back to the main pcb. find that an solder to it on the board.

once that was done. I did taped the psx pcb down in the agetec box. plugged it in, an after a little playin around i got

win2k to see the stick.

well those damned analog sticks were gettin in the way, very sensitive things. so i thought what the hell lets jus take em

off. cheaply soldered on i jus pulled em off.

well controller didnt work anymore. so I figured the analog sticks were a passthru for the dpad.

after solderin the 5pins back on the board the thing still wouldnt work.

well to be more precise, the dpad or analog sticks wouldnt work. the rest of the pad would. so i was left with a problem.

i had triangle, square, circle, x, l1+l2, r1+r2, start+select to work with.

program button+mode could not be used cause they interfere with rest of buttons obviously.

so so with 10 buttons on psx an 11 on agetec. I dropped the start button.

well after sayin the hell with that i looked around for a old psx non dual shock i had.

popped it open, first I did the connector. desoldered the pelican connector and did the sony up. was already pretty cut up

on the connector walls from when I started the db25 a few months back.

after getting that all situated, soldered up the psx pad. NO TROUBLED at all with it. took off the trigger buttons, then

took electrical tape and taped around them so they couldnt be depressed while inside the agetec box. got the pcb snug in

there, taped it down firmly. plugged it all in an was good to go.

one thing that may go wrong, if you wanna try mame out with it you'll have to try an remap the buttons. mame is a bitch to

get working with it cause most win32 gui's that are compiled use the registry to store button mapping. there is a mame

though that uses files to store button mappings. kaillera compiled version I think it was.

main reason I decided against the keyboard lp24 chip was the talk around of keyboard "ghosting" an such. there were already

drivers available for console pads that worked pretty damned good.

using the same console pcb in a box method you can mod a arcade stick to any system you want. some consoles will require a

little thinkin 4 their ic chips. saturn I hear is a little difficult. that'll be my next venture I believe. Just need to

find some more agetec sticks, or somthing better. Ascii makes a optical based stick iirc.

anyway all said an done, good luck gamin.