Martial Champion PCB - Color Issues & No Sound

Raizen1984

n00b
Just got one of these in the mail today. Packed well and very clean; nothing noticeably wrong on the outside.

However, the color is completely messed up. I went into the test menu and found, through the color check option, that the Yellow and White bars were both Yellow, the Red and Magenta bars were both Red, the Green and Cyan bars were both Green, and the Blue bar was black. I can't seem to edit anything once I'm at this screen either.

Also there's no sound. No music, no sound effects, nothing. I tried messing with the Dip Switch for Stereo/Mono but that's a no go. Went into the Sound Check menu and turned the volume up as high as it would go. No dice.

I'm using a MAS Supernova to play this btw.

Any ideas guys? Need some help here.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Check for a cracked resistor array around the jamma edge, they sometimes get damaged in transit. That could cause weird colours. There is a resistor ladder circuit that sums up to drive the RGB outputs. One resistor O/C and it all goes to whack.

What happens if you turn the sound right uo - any buzz or hum audiable ?

edit: welcome to the forum Raizen1984

Last edited:

Raizen1984

n00b
Check for a cracked resistor array around the jamma edge, they sometimes get damaged in transit. That could cause weird colours. There is a resistor ladder circuit that sums up to drive the RGB outputs. One resistor O/C and it all goes to whack.

I don't know what a resistor array is. I'm looking at the board now though, and nothing looks cracked or otherwise damaged in any way. There isn't even much dust on the board.

What happens if you turn the sound right uo - any buzz or hum audiable ?

Nope nothing. Turned my TV up all the way as well as the in-game audio. Nothing.

On a side note, I received another Konami game today and it's also giving me no audio. I'm wondering if this specific hardware requires something more besides just plugging the audio cables from the supergun to the TV. I believe it's Konami GX hardware, if that helps.

edit: welcome to the forum Raizen1984

Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know the supernovas use an arcade PSU but do they hook up the -5v line?

Open the supernova see if the -5v output is hooked up.

Raizen1984

n00b

I don't really know what I'm looking at, but there's a black box in my supergun, and on the right side of it are a series of 8 'sections' with wires attached.

One of these sections is labeled -5V1A and, while the wires get a bit lost in the clutter, I believe it goes into the JAMMA harness (or the kick harness which I don't have; not sure).

Nonetheless, the wire does appear to be hooked up.

edit: I forgot to mention that I do get sound on my CPS2 Alien vs Predator board. It's just these latest two that I've been having problems with.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,

I stand to be corrected, but I do not think those boards use -5 volts ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Konami does sometimes.

Also have you tried adjusting the volume pot on the PCB?

Raizen1984

n00b
YES! FUCK YES! I now have audio on my Martial Champion board. Unfortunately, it's incredibly low. I had to change the output to Mono using a dipswitch and raise the volume in the test menu all the way up, as well as the volume on my TV all the way up. I'm now definately getting audio, but it's way too low. Anyone know why?

Also have you tried adjusting the volume pot on the PCB?

The manual states that there isn't a volume knob on the PCB itself. The volume needs to be changed in the test menu, which I already did.

I'm almost there! Just need a little more help!

quoth09

War Room Troll
That game doesn't use -5v, as it doesn't have it listed on the JAMMA diagram. I really doubt this is the issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if it actually did need it and they just didn't list it in the manual, especially with Konami. No way to tell for sure unless Raizen1984 has access to another supergun or a cab with -5v wired up.

There is no volume pot on the PCB, as the volume settings are entirely in the test menu. I have had this board 1 time when I shipped it off for a friend and I didn't get any of the issues that Raizen1984 is getting here, but I also just tested it out for a minute to make sure it was still good to go, and didn't really do much playing, other than to make sure the controls were fine.

If you care to look at the manual, you can go here:
http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/M/MartialChampions.pdf

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I have several Kanomi boards about a dozen. None of them use -5 volts.

This could be an electro cap in the audio output stage.

Last edited:

Raizen1984

n00b
I have several Kanomi boards about a dozen. None of them use -5 volts.

This could be an electro cap in the audio output stage.

Interesting. Do you know if this is something I could potentially fix, or is the board essentially caput as far as audio goes? It does seem like an odd coincidence that I would get two boards (both from Konami) that had the exact same issues.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Interesting. Do you know if this is something I could potentially fix, or is the board essentially caput as far as audio goes? It does seem like an odd coincidence that I would get two boards (both from Konami) that had the exact same issues.

To confirm the -5 volts requirement, look at pins 5 and E on the jamma edge connect
http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

If they do not connect to anything on the board then obviously they are not required. Imho if the board required -5 volts (which I do not think it does) you would get no sound at all rather than low sound.

Also check the 12 volts to the board, if low this will cause low sound.
I forgot it was a supergun - maybe it does not use 12 volts ???

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Modern konami boards if not all of that era do not use -5 volt. I had a martial champion with the same problem which in my case was cold soldering. Konami boards are a bitch to fix despite the fact they are the only arcade boards to ship with a schematic.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I don't know what a resistor array is.

They look like this, you will see several of them near the edge connect, inspect for any cracks. It is an array of resistors (of 8 in this case) in one device. There are a bunch of them lhs of the picture not far from the edge connect.

Array-Resistors.jpg

!BPRp,,!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBJy3RohuGQ~~_1.JPG

Last edited: