CPS1 battery-less C-boards - interchangeable?

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
I believe the answer to this is 'no', but are the battery-less C-boards (as an example, for Final fight and Magic Sword) interchangeable? The custom IC on the underside of the C-boards of course has a different suffix (confirmed by looking at the CPS1 chart that shows the CPS1 games, C-boards used, PALs, etc) but perhaps there is a hack that allows them to be swapped between games?

Thanks

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yes they are interchangeable technically to the point where they will boot up but games like sf2 need the jamma plus. So a captain commando will go in fine but a slam masters will not because it does not have the kick harness circuitry.

But for your particular case I don't think a magic sword and final fight are swappable, as the custom chips on the c boards are different

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I've had no luck swapping C boards around on any CPS1 games. They would either flat out not work (music playing on power up) or would come up with garbage graphics.

Razoola or one of the other folks that understand that hardware would be the best person(s) to comment.

RJ