SSVS in Samurai Shodown Anthology for PSP.... kinda

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I dumped this UMD to ISO to load off the memory card since the load times are absolutely horrendous.

Then I got to poking around with an ISO tool on the disk image itself. The SSVS rom image is completely intact on the game disk, apparently only the menu option to select it was removed.

I would assume that with some image trickery you could get it to load. I tried myself using Isobuster and MagicISO, but with no luck since it apparently fucked up the image itself. I guess it's a moot point anyway, since the MVS emulation is a joke and there are much better alternatives for on the go play.

On a side note, I thought Ignition was handling all SNKP releases in the US? They did 98UM but had nothing to do with either version of this anthology release.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
How about the ps2 version with a codebreaker code to unlock the game? That'd be swell.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If you have CFW, maybe cwcheat could trick the game into loading it?

Wolferaizer

Gal Ageise's Demon
Why not just rename the ssvs rom to ssv and then remove the ssv rom?

Nope, I just tried. it doesnt work. Graphical glitches appear.

I think there is a cheat from unibios, to enable the uncencored mode in SSV. If Razoola can gimme the addresses, I can convert them to CWcheat. :loco:

And just like i did a cheat on Vol1 enabling HOME mode, coz its an exact original ROM use in MAME afterall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyZ5p-yWek

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
How about the ps2 version with a codebreaker code to unlock the game? That'd be swell.

I did some poking around the disc, and if it's on there, it's not in any form that's immediately apparent. I'll see if any of the files come up in Tile Molester like the Neo graphics ROMs do later.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I did some poking around the disc, and if it's on there, it's not in any form that's immediately apparent. I'll see if any of the files come up in Tile Molester like the Neo graphics ROMs do later.

I haven't looked on the PS2 version myself, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be since it's a port of the original Japanese release as AFAIK it was never planned to be in there in the first place.

The Japanese release of Samurai Anthology was one of the few NG collections I did not pick up on at release. Does that version run in AES mode, or in MVS mode like the US release.

All the other Japanese based collections run in AES mode, and I'm glad that someone somewhere knew that the US versions would be a complete joke running with green/white blood.

Deuce

I haven't looked on the PS2 version myself, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be since it's a port of the original Japanese release as AFAIK it was never planned to be in there in the first place.

The Japanese release of Samurai Anthology was one of the few NG collections I did not pick up on at release. Does that version run in AES mode, or in MVS mode like the US release.

MVS mode, though it does give you a trimmed option menu for each game.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
If you're able to rip the UMD to the memory stick, why are you even bothering playing this mediocre port in the first place? Get MVSPSP and emulate SS1-SSV Special.

Deuce

If you're able to rip the UMD to the memory stick, why are you even bothering playing this mediocre port in the first place? Get MVSPSP and emulate SS1-SSV Special.

Where would be the best place to get the latest and greatest versions of these emus? For that matter, what's the newest custom firmware? I've got 3.51 M33 installed, and I hear newer versions enable support for larger memory sticks. Up to 16GB or something? I could definitely use that.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
Where would be the best place to get the latest and greatest versions of these emus? For that matter, what's the newest custom firmware? I've got 3.51 M33 installed, and I hear newer versions enable support for larger memory sticks. Up to 16GB or something? I could definitely use that.

For new firmware updates go here: http://dark-alex.org/

As for MVSPSP you can go here. I it might be up to 2.3 now, but it might be on that same site.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member

For Tenka.

And this isn't some attempt to unlock the holy grail, just a very interesting observation.

Deuce

Depending on how the game is laid out, you might be able to separate SS6 out entirely into its own standalone ISO. I'm pretty certain it could be done with the PS2 version, though I haven't gotten around to trying for myself, yet.