GameTrailers ranks KOF 7th best fighting game... using mugen vids. SamShodown 3rd

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This is why I don't take mainstream gaming sites seriously anymore. They just embarrass themselves.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
well, kof is above tekken. that's something

and samurai shodown placed 3rd after vf and sf isn't a bad thing. Of course you have guilty gear and "capcom vs ..." up there

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
OMG they didn't accept my favorite game as being the best. Those bastards.

Although Garou should have been separated and no mugen videos should have been used.

Last edited:

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Although Garou should have been separated and no mugen videos should have been used.

I think that is what pretty much fails the video, stuff that could have easily been avoided if any real thought was put into the video. :oh_no:

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The title of thread is rather disingenuous. The MUGEN video wasn't used as footage of any particular game. It was just a point of the niche pop-culture reference.

And to be fair, MotW isn't part of the KOF series, but it does chronicle a King of Fighters tournament, storywise.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
And to be fair, MotW isn't part of the KOF series, but it does chronicle a King of Fighters tournament, storywise.

Yeah, I was about to make that same comment. Fatal Fury is actually where the 'King of Fighters' tournament started.

Reality Check

World Hero
Soul Calibur above Tekken made me rage.

They only showed footage of Samurai Shodown 1 & 2. That disappointed me.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
That list left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Tekken should have been first or second.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Tekken doesn't deserve to be in the top 20, much less top two.

:lol:

Tekken is awesome. One of the best and most fun and addicting fighting game series out there. I don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
I agree with SF being #1 because we wouldn't have SNK as we know it if they weren't fighting with Capcom for the number 1 fighting game.

Virtua Fighter is fucking HUGE in Japan so it really deserves the 2nd spot.

Samurai Showdown really only had 2 "good" games (games liked by everyone, not just us).

I agree with spot 10 and 9. Tekken should be at spot 6-5 somewhere and Soul Calibur should be around that same spot also.

Marvel should be higher than Guilty Gear for overall greatness that it is.

My list (Low to top):

Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat
Samurai Showdown
Guilty Gear
Tekken
(Interchangeable with)
Soul Calibur
King of Fighters
Marvel vs Capcom
Viruta Fighter
Street Fighter

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Soul Calibur should have been at the bottom of that list (and Mortal Kombat not even on there). KOF needed a higher spot (along with Tekken)

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
My favorite quote was about how MVC2 was the height of the vs series and they didn't even bother to show a single clip of the CvS games. Personally, the first two slots aside I think they botched this list, but everyone is going to have an alternate view of one of these. I would definitely include Fatal Fury for Real Bout 2 and Mark of the Wolves instead of Killer Instinct and Last Blade over Soul Calibur any day of the week. I also bump KoF to 3 and Tekken to 4.

That said, even with my differing opinion I am just pleasantly surprised Smash Bros didn't steal a slot from a real fighting game.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Virtua fighter is the hardest and deepest fighting game series ever made.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
A list like that is like a 'best movies ever' list...completely setup for arguement.

Personally for me, Tekken should be completely missing from the entire top 10, and MOTW or Fatal Fury included.