UniBios 3.0 error...HELP PLEASE

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
I did a search for this and couldn't find anything....I just received my AES back from having the UniBios 3.0 chip installed and out of all 20 of my MVS carts (which have been cleaned and scrubed) 2 games give me different errors...

the first on is Metal Slug 4
DSC00116.jpg

and the second is WindJammers
DSC00117.jpg

please tell me what the heck is going on
thanks guys

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is this an original MVS and what MVS>AES converter are you using? If it's a Phantom 1 this is normal for the playmore ones. The second error looks more like a hardware error, I could be wrong though.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
yes they are original carts, I am using the MVS converter 2, I just got done cleaning them both with pink eraser and alcohol and still the same thing. sigh

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Both carts are crashing. Looking at the code at the locations where they are crashing I can say the problem is either dirty cart contacts or currupted data in the carts. The carts should not be crashing in these areas based on the code in the games (looked in dumps).

The crash is happening in the game code and not the bios. You may want to run the unibios game cart checks to see if they pass. If they do then the problem is probably related to the converter you are using or the carts are bootlegs.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
Both carts are crashing. Looking at the code at the locations where they are crashing I can say the problem is either dirty cart contacts or currupted data in the carts. The carts should not be crashing in these areas based on the code in the games (looked in dumps).

The crash is happening in the game code and not the bios. You may want to run the unibios game cart checks to see if they pass. If they do then the problem is probably related to the converter you are using or the carts are bootlegs.

Ok, thanks, I will try to clean them again, and I will run the cart checks. But why would the converter cause this issue? It works flawlessly with Metal slug 5 and some other newer carts. And I got the carts from a trustworthy guy here on the forum vwlunatic, so I seriously doubt they were boots.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Ok, thanks, I will try to clean them again, and I will run the cart checks. But why would the converter cause this issue? It works flawlessly with Metal slug 5 and some other newer carts. And I got the carts from a trustworthy guy here on the forum vwlunatic, so I seriously doubt they were boots.
I must sound like a broken record these days ... but if you haven't already, scrub down your slot contacts with contact cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Both in your console and your adapter.

Also, if you go to check out that MVS cabinet you were talking about, take those carts with you along with one that you know works and test them in it. Alternatively, if you don't have a closer way to check them in a real MVS, feel free to send them to me to check them out for you (and send them back quickly, of course).

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
I must sound like a broken record these days ... but if you haven't already, scrub down your slot contacts with contact cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Both in your console and your adapter.

Also, if you go to check out that MVS cabinet you were talking about, take those carts with you along with one that you know works and test them in it. Alternatively, if you don't have a closer way to check them in a real MVS, feel free to send them to me to check them out for you (and send them back quickly, of course).

dude i really appreciate it, I will scrub them when i get home, I just don't understand why some will work and others won't:conf:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
dude i really appreciate it, I will scrub them when i get home, I just don't understand why some will work and others won't:conf:
Well there are a lot of contacts there and the connection isn't the tightest in the world. There's a lot of room for failure and the whole thing can be picky at times. I've had all kinds of random problems like this that I was convinced were cart or hardware failures but so far, with the exception of one boot, it's always been due to dirty contacts somewhere.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
Well there are a lot of contacts there and the connection isn't the tightest in the world. There's a lot of room for failure and the whole thing can be picky at times. I've had all kinds of random problems like this that I was convinced were cart or hardware failures but so far, with the exception of one boot, it's always been due to dirty contacts somewhere.

oK well it looks like I will try that this evening, thanks alot murray

and everyone else

Last edited:

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
So are the contacts supposed to be gold or silver after i scub em :conf: I read in an older post a guy clean with scotch brite and he got all the "gold" off and they worked....I have scrubbed my metal slug 4 and windjammers and they are still gold and neither one will work still.. I just bought a 2 slot cmvs from Fox1 , so i am hoping they will work in that when i get it in. Murray I am going to mail them to you to test if they dont work in this 2 slot.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I just super cleaned a Fatal Fury Special cart this weekend. Contacts were gold, with a good amount of gunk on them. Rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to start, then pencil eraser. As far as I know, your certainly not gonna change the color of the contacts.

Went from not loading at all, to zero audio, to fully working just by a cleaning

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Could it also be that the AES pcb has a cut trace or solder blob?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
You need to first off test the two carts as I sugested in my first post with the unibios game cart check option. From the two crashes it appears the system is not getting the data correctly from the cart. This puts the fault down to either contacts, converter or faulty EPROMs on the cart. I soppose its possible it could be a power supply issue also causing incorrect info but I would have to guess more carts would be throwing up errors if that was the case unless they are bootlegs.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I just bought a 2 slot cmvs from Fox1 , so i am hoping they will work in that when i get it in. Murray I am going to mail them to you to test if they dont work in this 2 slot.
Well if they don't work in your CMVS, they won't work in my MVSs either, IMO. If it comes down to that, maybe you could post some pics of the boards in here but aside from looking for the obvious stuff (really horrible solder joints, popped caps, boots - however unlikely), there may not be much we can help with.

Anyway, you can probably save yourself the shipping / hassle of sending them to me since you have your own MVS to test on now.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
You need to first off test the two carts as I sugested in my first post with the unibios game cart check option. From the two crashes it appears the system is not getting the data correctly from the cart. This puts the fault down to either contacts, converter or faulty EPROMs on the cart. I soppose its possible it could be a power supply issue also causing incorrect info but I would have to guess more carts would be throwing up errors if that was the case unless they are bootlegs.

I checked them both and both seemed to have checked out, i will take pics tonight of the screen and stuff to get opinons

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If both passed the CRC check then it could either be a bad install or a dirty slot.

Is this the only 2 games that do this? I was thikning it was the converter which might be it. Maybe the slot contacts are dirty in the AES or the converter.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
If both passed the CRC check then it could either be a bad install or a dirty slot.

Is this the only 2 games that do this? I was thikning it was the converter which might be it. Maybe the slot contacts are dirty in the AES or the converter.

yes these are the only two games that give me any problems at all, I have 30 legit carts including all the metal slugs and all work but these two. They were both purchased from VWLUNATIC and he assured me that they both worked in his cabinet prior to shipping them out. How could the install have been screwed up when everything else works. I have purchased contact cleaner and have taken apart both carts cleaned and scrubed them, and cleaned the converter slots and contacts and cleaned the aes slots. below are some pics of the crc checks and the carts themselves to check bootness

here is the Windjammers check

here is metal slug 4

here are the boards wind jammers first

metal slug 4

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If these are the only 2 carts that have the problem then I am sure it's the carts. Open the carts and inspect the solder joints on both boards. You may need to reflow solder on some.

When is the game crashing exactly, right at the beginning and then it crashes or does it boot up and then play a little then reset then crash?

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
every thing looks perfect on them, what exactly do i need to look for? metal slug 4 plays until you enter credits and then it crashes, wind jammers doesn't even show a start up screen , as soon as it leaves the 3.0 bios intro it hits with the crash

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
all the solder joints look excellent from what my knowledge of soldering guitar electronics

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Even though they look good the joints are probably cold so I would reflow new solder to them.

Try it on the P chips first.