KOF XII @ Portland, Oregon

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how or why, but the Tilt arcade in Lloyd Center Mall in downtown Portland has managed to get a KOF XII cabinet. I thought the game wasn't even out in Japan yet, so I'm not sure how this is possible!

I'll be there tomorrow recording vids.

(they're also holding a SF4 console tournament tomorrow, but that's not as big a deal obviously)

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
A friend of mine who lives down there told me about this. I was shocked to hear this myself. Planning on heading down Sunday to check it out. He confirmed it's there and even played a couple of matches. I asked him how are the graphics? He replied "the best 2D fighting game graphics out there. that are out anyway." I asked him how it plays? He said "it's different. A good different. It plays a combination of CvS2 and KoF98." Which i think is awesome.

I wonder if the arcade in Metrotown in Vancouver, B.C got this as well. They always get things first. I'm so pumped to see this game in action. Can't wait!!!:buttrock:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Get outta here. Portland of all places got it!? Haven't been there for a loong time. Might be time to pay that state a visit. :tickled:

edit: can't wait to see some videos of the setup and game.

Last edited:

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
This is unprecedented. I had to drive far as hell to play SFIV on an arcade.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
How is it possible that they have it and it isn't even out in Japan yet? Could this be some sort of bootleg deal?

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
How is it possible that they have it and it isn't even out in Japan yet? Could this be some sort of bootleg deal?

Most likely it's a location test and Portland just got super lucky. (And...there are location tests in the United States?) Who knows.

Google turned up some info:

It seems this was first talked about here, by FullMetalRoss:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=163210&page=120

And then a dude who read that thread went to Tilt and got a video of it. He posted about it on SRK and here:
http://www.cyberfanatix.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=4809&d=80
(dakingofzumunda's friend? The guy posting about it here is X20ASTRIKEFREEDOM in the SRK thread.)

The video can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0upZYKHeqI

It looks legit to me. Anyway, we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member

That's why it's so baffling! I doubt anyone could bootleg it yet, where would the bootleggers get the game from?

But yeah I have no idea if it's a final version or one of the location test versions from Japan.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
This shit is confirmed, 100% real, although it's apparently on a tiny monitor. (My buddy went there today)

WOOHOO.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Alright, heading down there to see this game for myself. I do hear it's a small monitor and the youtube vids confirm this. Taking pics and recording a few vids myself. The Seattle/Portland I-5 crossover is underway.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Give us your impressions pleaaaaasssssseee! I'm dying to hear some feedback.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Awesome, please let us know what it is like. If you can try out the AOF team, I really want to know how or if they have been changed.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Lucky bastards. I wish Tokyo Game Action wasn't closing, I know they'd be all over this. I don't want to go to CTF in the city to play it. (If they even bother getting it)

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Feedback from a member with real gaming chops? Can't fucking wait.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
here's a little of what i know and experienced from playing XII..

Got back a few hours ago. Man... where do i begin with this thing. I don't want to sound like a hype machine(game will do it on it's own) but man, this game is crazy good. At least i think so. Of course, you're going to hear people who are going to welcome the changes and others that are going to be like "what has SNKP done to the series."

I for one have welcomed changes ever since KoF 03 and XI. I enjoyed the tagging system for that time but now it's back to 3 on 3. Which i like. This game really brings things back to the basics and adds a few new twists. I didn't know too much about the Critical Counter System until i played the game and activated it accidently.

Basically it works as a free combo once activated. My understanding on doing this is, you counter an opponents attack by hitting BACK on the stick and pressing HARD PUNCH(C) once your Critical Counter is FULL and FLASHING. Once activated you can do a series of attacks much like a custom combo in the SF: Alpha2/3 Games. The way it looks on screen is kind of like that dial-a-combo system from Rage of the Dragons except it doesn't show the button commands. It's seriously fun and you can link it with a DM at the end. Speaking of links, this game has plenty of them.

I'm going to try and post pics and vids later on tonight. I even managed to get the intro and boy... does it look awesome. S.N.N(Satellite News Network KoF97 is involved again) Had a bit of a tough time recording the intro too. Long story short, one of the players didn't understand English that well and each time i told him to wait he would try and put his money in the machine. Finally had to cover the coin slots with my hands. haha

This is apparently the FINAL version of the game. How Tilt arcade in Oregon got it is still beyond me. We also thought it might be a location test but it's not. Just glad i didn't to travel too far to see/play it. They'll have a better cabinet for it soon.

My friend and can already tell, Ash and Iori are going to be a beast in this game. Goro, Leona, Kensou are pretty cool too. I'll try to get those vids up tonight. Feel free to ask questions. I got to use: Ash, Iori, Clark and a few others. No AoF team though

"This... isn't... the... end, ya know" -Iori's English defeat saying(much like Max Impact)

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I got 15 videos of it:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A265641716859660

Proof of how ghetto the cabinet is right now:

http://bbh.marpirc.net/tiltxii3.jpg

as for my impressions... gonna cut-paste part of what I said on SRK and edit some stuff

Well... this game certainly takes some getting used to. I was having a hard time trying to implement the b+CD counter at first (as well as watch out for when the opponent does it), and then other times I'd keep thinking I was playing any other KOF and I could throw with one button. Even worse, I'd remember that throwing is two buttons and then when I'd go into throw I'd push A+B instead of A+C and end up rolling... yeah. Entering an SF4 tournament and trying to stay in that mindset the same day you're trying to learn a new game probably isn't the best of ideas. (although I have no complaints with how the SF4 tournament turned out...)

I think I'm also disappointed in that I couldn't seem to do very well with the characters I wanted to play. A lot of times I could visualize what I'd want to be doing, but then I'd just... be completely unable to do it. I'm going to go the pussy way out and blame the sticks. I was having a hell of a time hyper-hopping on those, and I lost count of the number of times I missed buffering into Galactica Phantom off Ralf's crouching C - CD chain. Maybe the timing is tighter on CD into super, I dunno... 98 was pretty weird about detecting double quarter circle motions too now that I think about it...

I'm certainly not writing the game off yet, I will definitely be spending more time with it and hopefully get a better chance to find some characters that click with me. I really really want to like this game, but with a character roster that's limited by KOF standards, and the characters themselves often feeling limited in general (due to missing moves or having them replaced with other weird ones... what the fuck am I supposed to with Ralf qcf+P?), I'm worried that the game won't stay fresh for very long.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that I was losing so much, but there was lots of stuff I wanted to try and I would never get the chance because I was getting rushed down or making bad decisions in certain situations. I couldn't really get into the mindset of the game since there's all this new stuff that doesn't feel natural for KOF, and then there's all these changes in the characters that make them feel even weirder than what I'm used to.

Sure does look purdy, though.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
I got 15 videos of it:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A265641716859660

Proof of how ghetto the cabinet is right now:

http://bbh.marpirc.net/tiltxii3.jpg

as for my impressions... gonna cut-paste part of what I said on SRK and edit some stuff

Well... this game certainly takes some getting used to. I was having a hard time trying to implement the b+CD counter at first (as well as watch out for when the opponent does it), and then other times I'd keep thinking I was playing any other KOF and I could throw with one button. Even worse, I'd remember that throwing is two buttons and then when I'd go into throw I'd push A+B instead of A+C and end up rolling... yeah. Entering an SF4 tournament and trying to stay in that mindset the same day you're trying to learn a new game probably isn't the best of ideas. (although I have no complaints with how the SF4 tournament turned out...)

I think I'm also disappointed in that I couldn't seem to do very well with the characters I wanted to play. A lot of times I could visualize what I'd want to be doing, but then I'd just... be completely unable to do it. I'm going to go the pussy way out and blame the sticks. I was having a hell of a time hyper-hopping on those, and I lost count of the number of times I missed buffering into Galactica Phantom off Ralf's crouching C - CD chain. Maybe the timing is tighter on CD into super, I dunno... 98 was pretty weird about detecting double quarter circle motions too now that I think about it...

I'm certainly not writing the game off yet, I will definitely be spending more time with it and hopefully get a better chance to find some characters that click with me. I really really want to like this game, but with a character roster that's limited by KOF standards, and the characters themselves often feeling limited in general (due to missing moves or having them replaced with other weird ones... what the fuck am I supposed to with Ralf qcf+P?), I'm worried that the game won't stay fresh for very long.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that I was losing so much, but there was lots of stuff I wanted to try and I would never get the chance because I was getting rushed down or making bad decisions in certain situations. I couldn't really get into the mindset of the game since there's all this new stuff that doesn't feel natural for KOF, and then there's all these changes in the characters that make them feel even weirder than what I'm used to.

Sure does look purdy, though.

Were you there this afternoon, BBH? I was there from 11:30am-3:30pm. The picture you have of the cab with the three guys, i actually spoke with the two Mexican dudes with the hats today. The shorter guy was pretty good. He's actually really good at KoFXI. They drove up to see the game as well. English voices are horrible, aren't they?

I agree about the sticks. They were a bit stiff. I was beating most of the players in the morning then all the good folks started coming around.

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I was there on Saturday. And yeah, the shorter guy in that picture is mad good.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
who is the boss in this game ?

I don't know, the machine was busy with vs. play the entire time I was there.

So your first impression is... you didn't like it?

The game's not BAD, it was just........ underwhelming. There's just something that feels "off" about it to me. I WANT to like it but it just wasn't totally clicking...