Neo Geo CD - black/white normally, color with XNEO?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can mod it to make it NTSC. You can use the same power supply. You just need to set the jumpers.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
You can mod it to make it NTSC. You can use the same power supply. You just need to set the jumpers.

Yeah, I found out about that mod after I posted this. I'm still debating whether or not do mod it or sell it...I know it's an easy mod, but I really don't want to mess it up.

Here's another two question: is it easier to change jumper R26 to 60hz or to do the R47/R52 resistor one? Or do I have to mod both? Also, since the POWCD-E I have accepts 110-240V, I just have to buy a plug adapter and not a converter right?

Sorry for my n00bishness...I tried to fix a broken Turbo Duo once with no success and I've never had to deal with European appliances before.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Alright, so I cut R26 to switch it to 60hz, which worked fine (black/white but no rolling), but I can't seem to switch it to NTSC. I changed R47 to a 20k, bridged R52 with a 1k and cut the jumper, just like the mod guide at gamesx said, but I'm still getting a black/white screen. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change the region to Jap/US as well to get it NTSC?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The settings on my NTSC unit are:

R47 20K
R52 1K
JN1 - No Connection

So yours should work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also, it could be that your colorburst crystal is bad. On the main board it is the crystal on the top left with a 3.57....... on it.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Ok shit...I thought I had 20K but I accidentally grabbed 22k. Stupid Radioshack. Would that be the cause of the problem?

Also, is there a certain orientation the resistors need to be in, or can you just put it in however?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
22k instead of 20k should be fine.

I assume by orientation you mean polarity, resistors are unpolarised.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Well, I replaced the colorburst crystal with a 3.57 NTSC one, and it's still black/white. Any ideas?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Well, since no one was jumping to buy this I thought that I'd try it with my new XNEO-1 for shits n giggles and guess what? A perfect NTSC color picture. WTF?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, sound like the onboard encoder has a problem then.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can always swap encoder boards easily. Try PMing Macck and see if he has any NTSC video boards lying around.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Alright, done. Thanks for the help everyone...goddamn this is a lot of work for a measly toploader. :tickled:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Got it today and double checked everything and only thing I changed was the 22k to 20k and I have a color picture via S-video but really weird colors via the RGB socket with my AES cable via composite. Do the CD and AES have the same pinout?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Got it today and double checked everything and only thing I changed was the 22k to 20k and I have a color picture via S-video but really weird colors via the RGB socket with my AES cable via composite. Do the CD and AES have the same pinout?

So, did you get it fixed?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert

Yes, exactly the same pinout as the AES. That is weird that the S-video works fine but the composite is messed up. Since the XNEO-1 works, the RGB must be fine. Maybe some bad connection problem with the Y/C in/out with the encoder?

I really don't see a big problem as you can easily turn s-video back into composite anyway. Of course it could make the composite look better on older TVs with no S-video and worse on new TVs, but they will have S-video anyways.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I really don't see a big problem as you can easily turn s-video back into composite anyway. Of course it could make the composite look better on older TVs with no S-video .

That's how I doing it and it made a BIG difference in quality of video. S-vid into my dvd recorder and composite out to the TV.