Data Transfers

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Hi,

I was wondering how people transfer data from pcb's to their computer, for instance, when they put ROMs up for emulation (though, my purposes are not for emulation of course). Where would I go about getting one of these devices? Also, can this data be altered when it's on your computer (can you add to the code)?

Thanks!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, the process is not that easy. Depending on the game, and where it is emulated will determine how you dump it. Sometimes you can read off the edge, other times (such as with the Neo Geo) you need to desoldier the chips and read them in one by one :) So... that is a bit scary if you ask me. As for editing, a Hex editor should be able to do the job for you. IF you can figure out the linker and assembler used you can try to disassemble and work on the Assembly language code.

What are you working on?

-Nick

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
sounds cool what you are working on....

really.. what is it :)

†B†V†

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I'm keeping it secret for a while... I'm still working on the idea :) . Hopefully we will all know someday. Nothing major, honestly. With what I have written, you'd imagine I would switch code around between games to mix and match charcters... which would be cool, but that's not the intent. Hopefully it will help me in the future, as I do want to create my own, original, games.

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
The device used to read roms (like they are put in mame or neo rage) is called a EPRom-programmer. you can find some more info on this here <a href="http://www.dataman.com/D48.html" target="_blank">http://www.dataman.com/D48.html</a>
note that there is a wide variety of eproms/roms
out there, so make sure you choose the right programmer

LastResort

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thanks mate. Lots of good info there. I see those pop up on ebay, but hardly ever are they "tested", or useful.