Horizontal Wavy distortion

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, and new to the scene in general. I just picked up a cab and there's a small problem with the screen. Towards the very top there is a wavy section that is present all the time. I was wondering if this type of problem may be solved by using the remote board or not. Here's a couple pictures.

You can see it on the counter.
P3050023.jpg

And it's less noticeable here, but here's another shot of it.
P3050027.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Someone help my buddy out here! I know this has to be fixable.

/bump

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Those can be:

Horizontal hold needs tweaking
You need a cap kit
You have an old Wells Gardner monitor and need to mod it a bit.

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
hey channelmaniac what are the mods for the wg monitors to fix that

i have a 1 slot here with a 19 inch wg and it has the same problem no matter how much i tweak it i cant get rid of the wave at the top

i just recaped the monitor and have adjusted the crap out of it

is it just replacing the pots with ones that have a wider restinace range or is it replacing other components

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are different mods... one is to replace that pot... another is adding in a resistor...

There are a few different ones out on the web. W-G made quite a few mods themselves on those old monitors. The schematics don't cover them either.

SSS

neo retired
the monitor in my six slot does the same thing. Should swap it out because I'm sitting on a cache of spare 25" monitors. Just lazy.

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
cool thanks channelmaniac
do you happen to have a link or two with the steps to do the mod

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
So I tried adjusting the H-hold but it didn't adjust the section I was having an issue with. Too bad the fix isn't that easy :mad: I appreciate the suggestions channelmaniac and maybe I'll get to test the other ones some day.

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
I was tinkering with my cab some more and I noticed that there was an H position control on the monitor housing itself (I had been messing with the remote board exclusively,) and I was able to get some favorable results. Now the screen barely veers to the right at the top instead of zig-zagging like before. Big improvement if compared to my initial pics! :buttrock:

P3070045.jpg

Thanks again guys! This will have to do until I become a more experienced fixer.

Sorry for double posting but I'm not used to a board that permits me to edit!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
What is that exactly if you don't mind my asking.

The red, green and blue are not converging exactly on the same spot, red needs to be shifted down a little. However it is not too bad - if you attempt to adjust it you may end up with worse errors.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
I've got a similar issue myself. Playing with the remote board, only one control seems to affect anything horizontal. I can get it perfectly straight, but then the whole image is offset to the right by 3/4" or so. I looked at the back of the monitor, and there's another small adjustment panel there, but it almost exclusively affected color. I'll take some pictures and post them up a little later today.

It's not a /huge/ issue, since not too many games have much in that area, but there's a few where it mangles scores and such (KoF2k3 for example).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't there a +5v DC ripple that causes that too?

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Pictures!

Here it is with the distortion totally corrected. (click for larger for all images)

As you can see, it ends up offsetting the picture a lot (means the right side is cut off).

This is how it looks with the image actually centered:

Shot of the remote board:

It's the H-Pos that I've been adjusting to tweak this.

Pics of the tube / controls:

Pic of the PSU:

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Using a flashlight and a fresh can of canned air to nuke out some of the dust back there I managed to find a "new" knob I hadn't spotted before, hiding behind some wires and I was able to fix the wavy problem.

One thing I did notice, since I got smart and decided to pop the mobo into test mode and use the /grid/ to straighten things out is that my grid is wider than my monitor. About a square and a half, at that. The odd bit is that the squares are still, well... square. Not sure if they're /exactly square, but it's damn close.

Thoughts?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Why would you post a pic of a PSU when your thread is about a monitor problem?? :conf:

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Why would you post a pic of a PSU when your thread is about a monitor problem?? :conf:

As some monitor problems can be related to power issues, I figured I would cover all of the bases and include that as well. Who knows, instead of being a simple, pain in the butt to find potentiometer, it could have been an issue related to the monitor, chassis, and PSU combo that I've got.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You are right, power problems can cause issues with monitors.

However I fail to see how a DC power supply could be in any way relevant.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Like I said, I didn't know what the problem might have been. I don't repair monitors or arcade cabinets for a living. Hell, I only do electronics work of any sort as a hobby. Since display issues could be power related I figured it couldn't hurt to include a shot of the PSU in case that piece could be a source of the problem.

That said, instead of niggling questions about why I posted a picture of a PSU, how about something constructive? Maybe something helpful regarding my last question there about the grid being wider than the display while still being a square grid?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Prior to getting a new monitor, my Hantarex had this issue that was being caused by a faulty power supply. One I replaced it with the standard Peter Chou type the monitor issue seemed to go away. I ended up replacing the monitor since I got a new Welles Gardner on the cheap.