AOF 2 what?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
So I was playing Art of Fighting 2 today. I loaded my save at Mr.Big, and he kicked my ass like 6 times before I beat him, then I went on to fight Geese. I thought that only happened if you went through the game without being beaten?

Now granted, I'm not complaining (except for the extensive ass beating I'm receiving) But I'm just a touch confused! I've never fought him before.

AcidGlow

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Maybe the requirements were mixed up. Maybe you have to get to Big without losing a round but you can lose at him then Geese appears after him. I might give it a shot to find out exactly this week.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
If you can go through this beast, or even get to Mr.Big without losing, my hat goes off to you, sir *laughs*. I know it can be done, I just think this is the hardest damn fighting game I've ever played. I love how your 'reward' is getting your face beaten in even harder!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The ultimate AOF2 challenge is to beat it on level 8 without losing a round or saving, and then beating Geese in 2 rounds without having John Crawley lose his sunglasses.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
If I recall, the requirement is similar, if not exactly like fighting Ryo in FFS.

You must win every fight without losing a round.

If you lose a round just lose the match on purpose and continue. Continues don't matter as long as you win every fight without losing a round.

Been awhile since I played AOF 2, but I can fly through it alot easier than FFS, which I've been trying to play recently. :mad:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
AOF2 reminds me of those old cartoon games like Space Ace or Dragon's Lair.

There's zero freestyle skill involved in the game, just absolute pure memorizing exactly when do what against each fighter.

It's truly an awful game and I consider it the single worse fighting game ever created.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member

There's zero freestyle skill involved in the game, just absolute pure memorizing exactly when do what against each fighter.

It's truly an awful game and I consider it the single worse fighting game ever created.

Still better than 3 though. :emb:

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member

Personally I find AOF 2 more playable than the original SF.

Though given my usually negative comments about the SF franchise on the whole, that's not saying much...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Personally I find AOF 2 more playable than the original SF.

Though given my usually negative comments about the SF franchise on the whole, that's not saying much...

Whenever I see a thread, regardless of subject title, and see YeldellGW has the last poster, I click just to see if he's said anything bad about SF. 95% of the time he never let's me down.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

One of the patterns I use is with Mr Karate- you can effectively keep using his flying flaming kick even after he's run out of chi power.
You can also try to beat it without resorting to using cheap patterns over and over. Try to beat it freestyle (rather than taking advantage of the game engine).

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Whenever I see a thread, regardless of subject title, and see YeldellGW has the last poster, I click just to see if he's said anything bad about SF. 95% of the time he never let's me down.

Exactly when was the last time I said anything about SF Wes? I've gone out of my way to stay away from any/all SF topics on the board.

I can't even recall the last negative SF comment I've made prior to this one...

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
You can also try to beat it without resorting to using cheap patterns over and over. Try to beat it freestyle (rather than taking advantage of the game engine).

That's what I've been doing the whole time, and it's often felt like an excercise in futility! But I did get to Geese, somehow. (Still haven't beaten him, though. And it took a long period of time.. usually filled with lots of swearing. I'd have been screwed if not for my NGCD's saving.) I actually didn't know you could pattern-beat everyone, or anyone in this game for that matter, until I re-read this thread tonight.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Exactly when was the last time I said anything about SF Wes? I've gone out of my way to stay away from any/all SF topics on the board.

I can't even recall the last negative SF comment I've made prior to this one...

You're not exactly a high level poster. From what you post and the fraction of those that I happen to read, I've seen more posts from you talking about your dislike of the series than not.

I just thought it was pretty funny that I see "AOF2" subject title and see your name as the last reply, and in my head I sort of say "I wonder if he somehow crowbars the fact that he doesn't like SF2 in the thread," and when I open and read I cracked up pretty hard.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
christ
now abasuto wants to share his / her opinions about neo geo vs games
splendid

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
the entire series is pretty tough to digest.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
You're joking, right? :blow_top:
3 will never be appreciated in our lifetime, but someday, perhaps, maybe....

Are you kidding? I think 3 is FANTASTIC. I may get flamed to death for this, but I believe it's the best in the series. It feels the most playable.

Abasuto hit dead on: AOF2 is about memorizing an enemy's pattern, and that's all. That doesn't qualify as great gameplay in my mind.
AOF1 is a classic, and I enjoy it although I still find it a little difficult. It's a great-looking and playing game for the time. However, only having 2 characters in single player mode kinda bites.
AOF3, however, just plays very smoothly, seems to scroll in and out like a more refined SamSho, feels fluid and playable, and is just plain more enjoyable than the others.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Are you kidding? I think 3 is FANTASTIC. I may get flamed to death for this, but I believe it's the best in the series. It feels the most playable.

Abasuto hit dead on: AOF2 is about memorizing an enemy's pattern, and that's all. That doesn't qualify as great gameplay in my mind.
AOF1 is a classic, and I enjoy it although I still find it a little difficult. It's a great-looking and playing game for the time. However, only having 2 characters in single player mode kinda bites.
AOF3, however, just plays very smoothly, seems to scroll in and out like a more refined SamSho, feels fluid and playable, and is just plain more enjoyable than the others.

I have to say that 3 is also my favorite by leaps and bounds. I liked 1 a lot, then 2 was not really doing it for me. 3 though was the deal sealer!

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I like 2 the most out of the series, but I never got more than a few rounds in without giving up, and no one really wants to play it two player with me. 3 has really nice graphics, but it doesn't have Takuma, so I don't really touch it.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,

Great analysis spot on.

Ive said it so many times I loved art of fighting 1 and when i bought 2 back in 96 my hands were practically trembling with anticipation. 1 game and i realised it played like a turd. what a disapointment. Youd think some kunt at SNK would rerelease it on PS2 or PS3 with a more playable AI