Need photo of a Mortal Kombat 4 PCB, help ID component

quoth09

War Room Troll
Recently received an MK4 PCB on which the video has issues, everything else is fine on it.

Quite obviously the Video Ground, as the photo below is pin 14 on the JAMMA, and I think it speaks for itself in the photo below.

Anyone have a large photo of that section they can post (obviously unburned), and of the whole board? I have no idea what the value of the resistor that was completely burnt up is. I don't care to chance running a wire and guessing it as a 0 ohms like some others around it. If it got burned up, I'm guessing it isn't 0 anyway.

Also can someone check the values on the 2 scorched ones to the left and right of the burned one on their board that isn't damaged? I checked them with a meter and the one on the left of the burnt one I'm getting 0 ohms, and the one on the right I'm getting 2000 ohms. I just wanted to make sure it matches an undamaged board.

Thanks for any help from anyone, I would love to be able to keep this from getting turned into parts.

2cfejbl.jpg

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That pin is the Video Ground connector.

Measure the resistance to ground on the pad that is away from the JAMMA edge. I would guess it would read zero ohms to the ground pins on the JAMMA connector.

If that's the case then it would be a zero ohm device that is used as a fusible link to keep the board from being seriously damaged if there was a wiring problem.

Since it's the video ground connection you should check the wiring in the cab and check to see if there is an isolation transformer on the monitor.

RJ

quoth09

War Room Troll
If I could see a photo of another board, that would tell me what it was right there. If it is black, it's just a path essentially (0 ohm resistor). However, as you can see, it is black, but not due to it's color coding. I'm getting no continuancy on that pin, obviously.

I got the board like this, so any issues with a monitor, wiring, or anything like that are no longer an issue on my end.

I may have you look at it - check your PM.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That's fine,

Bring it over when you bring the other system. About 3pm works for me.

Raymond

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
WOW!

What a BITCH of a board to repair! Here's the repair log entry:

Symptom: Board had multple RAM failures and no video sync

Replaced U74, a surface mount 74LS07 and replaced a burnt zero ohm resistor on the video ground to fix the video sync problem.

Resoldered U66, U32, U62, and U63 then resocketed U48 to fix the RAM issues and random reboot issues. Board can now be jostled briskly without rebooting.

Reset button was dead. It had liquid (rodent?) damage. Cleaned the board and replaced the switch.